No Place for Women

Chapter Nine

"Mommy I don't feel good." Kili mumbled, hiding his face in his mothers long dark hair.

His voice was soft enough that she hadn't heard him over he other son, Fili, talking to her from where he was walking next to her.

"Now, you boys are going to be staying with your Uncle Thorin tonight. I wan't you two to be on your very best behaviour, and don't give your uncle any trouble. " She explained as they reached the door.

"Mommy, I want to go home." Kili whispered, going unheard once again.

Fili looked up at his younger brother from where he stood next to their mom. He was worried about his brother getting sick. He didn't want him to get as sick as he had been just a few days ago. Even though there was a chance that Kili wasn't getting sick, Fili still felt worried about it.

"Ah, Dis. I wondered when you'd be arriving." Thorin smiled, opening the door.

"I'm sorry to be off in such a hurry, but I'm running late as it is." She said in a rush.

Just like all the many times before, Fili walked through the door, hugged his uncle and went straight to go sit in a chair. Dis went to hand Kili over to her brother, but the young boy seemed to not want to let go of her.

"Now, Kili don't you start acting like that. Mommy has to go." She said placing him down on the ground.

He stood there silently looking up at his mother; even though she didn't even seem to know he exsisted now that she wasn't holding him anymore. Slowly, as he realized that he wasn't going to get his mothers attention, and that he wasn't going home tonight; he looked down at his feet and walked into the other room to join his older brother. He did as they always do, and crawled up in the rather tall chair that Fili was already sitting in, taking up half of the space. Though he didn't pay his older brother any attention.

Fili was confused about his brothers actions. He'd never seen him acting like this. He watched in silence, playing with a button on his jacket, as his younger brother curled up in a ball and lay his head on the arm of the chair before closing his eyes.

"Kili?" He asked lightly- his voice a small whisper.

When his brother never answered him, he quickly climbed off the chair and ran through the small house; trying to his uncle as quickly as possible. Thorin was still standing near the door- looking as if he had just closed it behind there mother. Fili didn't waiste a single second, and quickly started grabbing at his uncles Coat.

"What has gotten into you Fili?" Thorin asked him, getting slightly annoyed.

"Kili!" He shouted, "Kili's sick!"

Thorin gave him a slightly worried look, before running into the other room; Fili following behind him as quickly as his little legs would let him run. He watched in slight awe as his uncle moved over to Kili. He picked him up, and sat down in the chair.

"I don't feel good. My tummy hurts." Kili whimpered from where he was.

"Fili, go get me the bucket." Thorin instructed quickly, seeing Kili's little face go completely pale.

Following his uncles instructions, he ran and grabbed the wooden bucket that was sitting by the door and ran back. As soon as he sat it down in front of his Uncles chair, was when it happened. Kili pushed himself out of his uncles arms, and down onto the floor in front of the chair; emptying the contents of his small little stomach into the bucket.

Fili didn't know what to do, except for what his uncle told him. Which honestly wasn't much. Thorin rose from his chair and left the room, going around the house and getting things he would need. A wet cloth to, and a small glass of water - those kinds of things. While, Thorin was doing that, Kili still had his small body lurched over the bucket emptying his stomach; and Fili? Well he didn't know what to do, so he stood there with his brother. Slightly running his back, in attempted to make him feel better like their mother had done for him only a few days before when he was sick.

"Here, wash your mouth out. But don't swallow any of it. It will only make it worse if you do." Thorin instructed, handing the small boy the glass of water.

Kili nodded and took the cup from him before putting it to his lips. He siwshed the water around in his mouth a few long moments before spitting it out into the bucket. Thorin took the dry rag he had and wiped around Kili's mouth, before placing his hand on his forehead.

"You're burning up." He sighed, "We should get you to bed."

"It's too hot uncle." Kili groaned. "Can't I just stay up with you and Fili?"

"But Kili, you need to get better." Fili interupted, looking at his brother with wide, worried eyes. "It's no fun being sick. And the sooner you get better the sooner we'll be back playing like we used to!"

Thorin laughed at the young boys care for his younger sibling; he'd honestly never seen anything like it before in his whole life. Bending down, he picked Kili back up before leaning back in the chair; Fili crawled up next to his brother soon after.

Kili's small body shook in his uncles strong arms, but no matter how horrible he felt in that moment, he felt safe. Fili knew what his younger brother was going through, and he hated having to see him like this. It was just horrible. Kili was hot to the touch; Thorin pulled his small jacket off of the boys body and threw it to the side. No one had any use of it in this moment. Kili's hands shook where they were down by his side, his stomach felt like it was being ripped apart at the seems. More tears filled up his eyes, but he didn't let them fall.

"Uncle Thorin, is Kili gonna be alright?" Fili asked, seeing his little brother about to fall asleep.

It was a rare sight seeing Kili actually sleeping the way he was. Usually it took their mom all night to even get him to sit still, not to mention even sleeping. Fili watched in awe as Kilis eye lids closed, and he huddled as close to his Uncle Thorin as he possibly could. The feeling of wanting to take care of Kili filled Fili's heart, and he didn't know what he could do about it.

"You can sleep in my bed tonight." Thorin said to him, "Don't want you getting sick by staying in the same room as your brother."

"No. I've already been sick Uncle; I won't catch it again." Fili stated, "Besides Kili never left my side when I was sick, so I'm not going to leave his while he's sick."
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you enjoyed this little flashback :3