Status: on hiatus while i work on the little things. hopefully that will give me the motivation i need to come back to this. :)

Shapes in the Clouds

New Girl

First day of school. It was always slightly nerve-wrecking; new classes, new teachers, new people to sit by… It was never as bad as at a new school though. And that is what made Kaelyn anxious as she walked up the steps to Groveline High School. It was her senior year and she was the newest face on campus. She’d never been the new girl, not since kindergarten. She’d had the same friends, in the same schools, for the past eleven years, and now that was all over.

She took a deep breath as she pulled the door open and stepped in. She looked around the main entrance in search for the office. Her lips curved slightly up in victory when she saw a sign with an arrow pointing down the hallway ahead of her. She started down the hall with as much confidence as she could muster, which wasn’t much. Every other step she was being shoved or pushed by passing students as they made their way to meet their friends to chat about their summers and discuss the upcoming year, which for many would be the last.

She glanced around, hoping to see another form of direction towards the office and trying to keep herself from falling as she was continually jostled around. She was about to give up hope when she found it, the entire room visible to the hall from behind a glass wall. She purposefully made her way over and felt relief wash over her body as she stepped in.

“How may I help you, dear?” a middle-aged woman at the desk nearest her asked. She had glasses on, though she was peering over them as they sat lower on her nose. She had shoulder-length brown hair that was starting to get some grays showing through. Her smile was warm, and that was what Kaelyn decided she liked best about her.

“I’m new and I was told to check in before first period,” she stated with an almost questioning tone in her voice. She wasn’t quite sure what the point was, as she had already gotten her schedule in the mail last week. She had studied it furiously, hoping to memorize it quickly to ensure she wouldn’t stick out like a sore thumb.

“Ah, yes. We like to help all of our newcomers acclimate as best as we can here at Groveline,” she told her with a smile. She started searching through some folders in her desk as she continued. “We have a freshmen orientation before the year begins, but for all other new students we have to do things a bit differently… aha! Here it is; your map.”

The young woman took the sheet of paper from the secretary and began glancing at it as she stepped backwards slowly, happy to have more direction in her search for her classes.

“Wait, miss! There’s more!” the secretary announced as Kaelyn was about to turn around. She faltered mid-step and nearly toppled over, instead falling into another body that caught her smoothly. Her entire face turned red as she silently thanked her savior with a curt nod and turned back to the secretary without a glance at the stranger. She was embarrassed enough as it was without making eye contact.

“Each new student gets a brief tour during first period study hall to help you learn these halls. Your tour guide will be a fellow student, one that you can go to for help throughout the year. Whether it’s coursework, issues with other students, or even problems unrelated to school, your “buddy,” as we like to call them, will be there to aid you every step of the way,” she announced exuberantly.

Kaelyn nodded her head to show that she was listening, though she wasn’t too thrilled. Her “buddy” would probably be much too peppy for her liking, want to be best friends, and want to know about her past. Her past was impertinent and she was looking forward to a fresh start before her real life started outside of high school. Nothing from before now could help her, or so she liked to tell herself.

“Your buddy will take you to your first class so that you know where it is and you can check in for roll call. Then you will go over where your classes and any other important areas of the school are located. By second hour you should know where everything is and will attend the rest of your classes like any normal school day,” she finished, Kaelyn finding that she didn’t like the woman’s smile anymore. It was too warm.

“Where will I be meeting this… buddy?” Kaelyn asked, desperate to get out of there, and away from the secretary.

A throat cleared behind her. “That would be me,” a deep voice announced.

Kaelyn’s face turned red as she realized it was the same person she had stumbled into just moments ago. It would be just her luck for something like this to happen when she’s trying to start anew. She slowly turned around to face him, watching her shoes as she shuffled her feet, kicking at a bare spot on the floor.

She lifted her chin, something she was used to when meeting guys. Most guys were taller than her, at five foot five. This guy had to be about six inches taller than her. He had light brown hair, quite a few inches in length. It was tousled messily over his dark eyes. She couldn’t quite tell what color they were, but then she was also trying to avoid eye contact with him. She smiled timidly at him in greeting and offered her hand. He took it firmly with half a smirk on his face.

“I’m Kaelyn,” she informed him.

“Jerrick.”

“Well, now that you are acquainted, you can start with the tour. Off you go, kids!” the secretary chirped behind them. “Oh, Kaelyn, feel free to pop in and talk to me about anything you need to. That’s what I’m here for after all!”

Jerrick grinned down at her, and opened the door for her, ushering her out with his hand on the small of her back. Once the door was closed behind them Kaelyn let out a sigh of relief. He noticed and chuckled a bit, his hand dropping to his side. She glanced around noticing that the hallway was void of students and couldn’t help but be pleased. It was like a zoo trying to find her way to the office only five minutes prior!

“Schedule,” Jerrick requested, his hand outstretched expectedly. She quickly obliged him and watched him curiously as he glanced at it. His brows furrowed as he looked it over. There was an intensity in his eyes, which she now saw were a deep blue, that she was curious about. Part of her loved what she saw there, and part of her was afraid of it.

“Your first class is down this way,” he pointed to the left. “Do you remember how you got here from the front doors?” She nodded and he started walking off in the direction he pointed in. She hurried to follow him and made sure to take in her surroundings. Water fountain. Poster of cat. Restrooms. Awards case. Poster of soccer player. Turn right. He walked up to a door and knocked before entering.

“Ah, Mr. Larned, to what do we owe this pleasure… late as usual?” Kaelyn heard a youthful female voice as she tried to hide behind Jerrick. It was to no avail however, as he reached behind him to grasp her wrist, dragging her in front of his body.

“This is Kaelyn,” he told her, his arms sliding up her arms to rest on her shoulders. “She’s new and I’ll be showing her around the school this period. We’re just checking in so you don’t think we’re absent today.”

The teacher nodded in approval and walked over to the two in the doorway. “I’m Ms. Monroe,” she introduced herself to Kaelyn. “I’m looking forward to seeing you tomorrow so that we can better go over the details of your year here.”

“Thank you,” she responded meekly. She tried to keep her eyes focused on the teacher, but she couldn’t help glancing at all the students trying to peer around the woman to see the new girl. It was intimidating having that many sets of eyes on her all at once and she felt her knees go weak. Jerrick’s hands tightened on her shoulders, steadying her.

“Well, we have lots of ground to cover,” he told her. “See you tomorrow Ms. Monroe!” he called over his shoulder as he steered Kaelyn out of the room.

“Thanks Jerrick,” she mumbled. She felt helpless as he led her toward a stairwell. He sat down on the landing between the first and second floors and motioned for her to join him.

“Are you alright?” he asked, staring intently at her face. She nodded, though not very convincingly. “Are you sure?”

His tone, laced with faint concern caused her to meet his gaze. It was strong and she felt trapped, like she couldn’t look away. There was something there that she trusted and she nodded again, more sure of herself.

“If you want to we could just sit here for first period. We have almost all the same classes together, and I can walk you to the others,” he offered. “The school seems daunting at first, but it’s actually very simple.”

She smiled at him in agreement. “I would like that very much, thank you.”

So there they sat for the next half hour. No words were shared between the two, and that was fine by them. Neither felt compelled to break the silence that had fallen comfortably around them. It was peaceful and relaxing. They knew that the bell would soon ring and the stillness of the moment would be destroyed. And sure enough, it was. The shrill bell announcing the end of first period echoed throughout the school, followed by the stampeding of students into the hallways. Jerrick stood up with a sigh and reached his hand out towards Kaelyn. She gripped onto it and he pulled her to her feet just in time for a horde of lower classmen to take to the stairs in a frenzy. He held firmly to her hand as he pulled her through the throngs of students. She was thankful for this, knowing that otherwise she would be lost in the crowds.

Soon they were entering another classroom and she had no idea how they had reached it. She was just happy to have reached it at all. They checked in with the teacher, who told them to take a seat. As only one other student was in the classroom already they had free reign to choose. Jerrick led her towards the back corner and took a seat, motioning for her to take one as well. She decided on the one directly in front of him. As she dropped her things she noticed the other kid staring at her. When she looked his way his eyes shot to the front of the room. She quickly sat down and stared at the desk.

This would be a long day.