Close Your Eyes and Count to Ten

I'll Hide, You Seek

"Benji, come on!"

She ran forward, her giggle drifting back towards the young boy as he stumbled over tree stumps and broken branches.

"Slow down, Lily," he called to her

She darted around a tree, the edge of her yellow dress fluttering behind her.

"Lily!" He jumped over a puddle, his feet still landing in the edge of it, soaking his shoes through. "Lily, where did you go?"

"Over here!" He ran around the tree she had disappeared behind, to find her leaning against it, giggling quietly. "Hi, Benji."

Her straight, white teeth were spread into a wicked smile, the sun glinting off her ginger hair.

"Did you have to run so fast?" he asked, his breath heaving from his lungs.

"Of course I did, silly." She turned to the tree, crossed her hands against the bark and closed her eyes. "Now you go hide."

"But-"

"One, two, three, four," she started counting loudly to drown him out.

He glanced around and sprinted to the left, darting under low branches and leaping over fallen trees. He found a cluster of rocks and hid behind them.

"Ten. Ready or not, here I come!" Lily exclaimed, followed by a little laugh.

Within seconds she jumped on Benji, still giggling.

"You're not very good at this game," she pouted. "This time I'll hide, and you count! Okay?"

"But, Lily-"

"Start counting!" She ran away from him, her laugh echoing.

"One, two, three," he started to count quietly, rolling his eyes. He got up from crouching on the ground and started to walk in the direction she ran, counting along the way. When he reached 'ten', he started to sprint. "Lily!"

"Benji!" she called, in a taunting, sing-song voice. "Can you find me?"

When he reached the other edge of the woods, he stopped and turned back around.

"Lily? Where did you go?" She didn't respond and he skidded to a stop. "Lily?"

"Benji-" Her voice cut off on her choke.

He stepped forward and just when his foot touched the mossy ground, a loud crack followed by an ear-piercing scream reverberated through the forest. The only noise after that was the whistling of the birds.

"Lily? Lily?!"
♠ ♠ ♠
So, I don't really know what happened to her. She fell and died, or something. The point of this was to not know what happens. Either way, I really liked it.

Feedback would be very much appreciated.
-Beki