Status: Active!

Moth to a Flame

Strange Man

Akane watched with tears still fresh in her dull eyes as Katsumi cleaned up the house. Akane helped lifting smaller items and taking them out to the trash but for the most part she watched as Katsumi cleaned up and looked out the windows. Akane saw a man, around 50 years old, walking around the outside like he was waiting for something that would happen. Akane felt a surge of pain through her mind as she saw his face but her mind couldnt comprehend it so the pain faded to a mere feeling of being uncomfortable.

“Katsumi, there’s a strange man outside that makes my head hurt. Can you make him go away from here?” Akane looked up at Katsumi and held onto her hand. Akane held onto Katsumi tighter as another bit of pain shot through her head.

“He hurts! Make him go away!” Akane screamed at Katsumi through her gentle tears that threatened her eyes. Katsumi flinched as the little girl yelled at her, the older girl sat Akane down before rushing outside to where the man was lingering.

“Can I help you?” She asked him, trying to be polite, but worrying about the younger girl.

“I was just wondering what you’re doing at this house,” the man stated gruffly, eyeing her suspiciously. Katsumi hadn’t expected to be asked that type of question and quickly racked her brain for a sensible answer.

“My parents have bought this property and I’m helping renovate it,” she stated, after all the place had been abandoned for a long time so it only seemed right to say that.

“I see,” he replied, he stared behind her at the house before shuffling away from the gate, he didn’t look please with her answer but he seemed to have bought it at least. Katsumi watched his retreating form, a shiver running down her spine as she moved back into the house.

“He’s gone now, Akane.” Katsumi stated, going over to the little girl and holding her closely.

“There was something off about him Katsumi.” She pouted softly. Akane pulled away from Katsumi and walked out onto the porch. She looked around to make sure that he had went away before walking out to the sidewalk and looked towards the street. Akane thought about what he had looked like and the thoughts had even caused pain. She gave up thinking about it and walked to Katsumi smiling.

“Yay creepy man is really gone!” Akane jumped up and down excited.

“Let’s finish cleaning so we can organize the furniture, some stuff is old and broken so we’ll have to throw away some of it,” Katsumi noted, before picked her cleaning gear back up and continuing with scrubbing. Katsumi tried her best to push aside her worry, there was definitely something off with that man, and she needed to keep her eyes peeled in case he showed up again. She also had to make this house safer for Akane, and she had to figure out where to go once this house was back to normal. Although that was a thought for another time, Katsumi concluded, choosing to focus on the task ahead.