Status: larry feels. i should be embarrassed.... but i'm not:)

And Then There Was You

wow

Harry entered the shop slowly. He was in no hurry to go to work. The shop was practically dead, so the shop wasn’t in any need for his timely arrival anyway.

“Hey, Harry!” His redheaded co-worker called to him from behind the counter. Harry looked at him with a confused look on his face.

“Hi, Ed. I thought I was working with Niall tonight?” Harry said, pulling his headphones off and looping them around his neck.

“Niall’s got a gig at some pub tonight, so I told him I’d cover for him. Said he’s buy me a pint after my shift if I stopped by afterwards.” Ed explained. Harry nodded at the clarification.

“Okay.” He said simply. He stood there awkwardly, looking at Ed. Ed just smiled back at him like he didn’t have a care in the world. “Well. I think I’m going to re-alphabetize the sheet music.”

Ed nodded and settled back into his stool behind the counter. Harry dropped his belongings and got to work. Ed took care of the occasional customers as Harry worked diligently. Harry looked up when he heard the soft plucking of a guitar.

“I didn’t know you played.” He said to Ed. He looked up from his instrument and grinned.

“I dabble.” Ed chuckled.

“You’re pretty good. Are you a song writer like Niall?” Harry asked. Ed was a little taken aback at his sudden questions. This is the longest conversation he’s ever had with Harry.

“Yeah. We actually write together sometimes. We’ve done a few gigs too. Nothing special, just messing around with it, you know?” He said, running his hand along the neck of his instrument.

“That’s cool.” Harry said with a genuine smile.

“You’re going to Uni for this kind of shit, right?” Ed asked.

“Composition.” Harry corrected.

“So you’re good at this stuff then? Because I can’t get the chord progression on the pre-chorus right, and I think a fresh set of ears would help.” Ed explained.

“Yeah. Okay. Lets have a listen.” Harry said eagerly, pulling up a chair next to Ed. Ed grinned bashfully and started to strum. He hummed along softly while bobbing his head to the melody.
“That’s where I get stuck.” Ed said. Harry nodded tapped his chin. “I haven’t really written lyrics either. I don’t really think this song had a point.”

“No, I like it. Try C to A minor instead.” Harry suggested, looking at Ed seriously. Ed nodded and strummed it out. As Ed played, Harry hummed the melody Ed was humming earlier.

“From A minor to G.” Harry instructed in between breaths. Ed didn’t miss a beat as he followed the directions. “Now to C.” Harry continued to him, altering the melody as he saw fit. Ed eventually stopped strumming and looked up at Harry with a smile.

“Wow. That’s much better. And I got a better idea for the melody too. Thanks.” Ed said.

“Its fine. I like doing stuff like that. I’m glad you asked.” Harry admitted sheepishly.

“So this is like your thing then?” Ed asked, motioning around the store with his hands.

“Well, yeah. Isn’t it your thing too?” Harry asked, cocking his head to the side.

“I like it. But it’s not me, you know? Its part of who I am, yeah…but it’s not like…the only thing I’m passionate about.” Ed tried to say. Harry looked confused.

“I don’t think I could do anything without music.” Harry said simply. Ed nodded understandingly.

“That’s very cool, Harry. I like that.” Ed said with a smile that made feel a little more at ease. “Hey, you want to hit the pub with me? I’ll just be meeting up with Niall. Should be fun.”

“Uhh.” Harry had a rejection ready on his tongue. Then the thought back to what Liam said to him today. ‘How do you expect to make new friends if you never talk to anyone?’ Harry wanted to make more friends. He was always telling himself he would do better, but he never did. Ed looked at him expectantly.

“Sure.” He finally blurted, surprising himself and Ed.

“Great.” He said, delighted that he agreed. He checked his watch and sighed. “We’ve still got an hour or so. The place is so dead. I don’t know why it stays open so late.” Ed groaned.

Harry laughed and fiddled with the bottom of his jumper again.

--

The pub Ed took him to was small. The air was thick with sweat and a thin layer of smoke. Harry had never been inside a pub before, and needless to say he was a little on edge. His one saving grace was the blonde boy who was crooning into a microphone on a small stage in the corner. The music was great and Harry instantly felt more at ease.

Ed smiled when he noticed that Niall was still performing. He motioned to Harry to follow him. The curly haired boy followed him with no complaints. They shoved through a sea of people and found a small space for them to squeeze into to watch the rest of the set.

Niall was a lot better at the guitar than Harry had anticipated. He had an exceptional voice as well. It seemed strange that Harry that he had known Niall and Ed for almost a year and he knows nothing about them.

When Niall was done he bid the crown goodnight and shuffled off the stage. He waved Harry and Ed over with his signature gin plastered on his face.

"Harry! Good to see you!" Niall exclaimed, giving him a friendly pat on the back. Harry laughed awkwardly and nodded his head.

"Hey Niall. I hope it's all right that I tagged along."

"Of course it is! Ed and me hang out too much. It'll be nice to have you to switch things up." Niall grinned, swatting Ed on the head playfully.

"Okay. Thanks." Harry grinned, playing with his fingers awkwardly again.

"No Harry, thank you. Now how about a pint?" Niall cheered, leading his friends to the bar. Harry followed along happily, feeling a little better about joining the two. They were being so nice to him. It was almost fun.

Niall and Ed chatted with each other as they waited for the drinks. Harry took this opportunity to glance around. Everyone was laughing and having a good time. No one seemed to have a care in the world. Harry found himself wishing for a brief moment that he wished he could be that carefree. Instead, he was too focused on what people would think of him if they looked at him. If they would notice how unsure he was about himself.

He tried to shake the thought from his mind, but he found himself unable to do so. He felt a tap on his shoulder, he turned quickly, thinking it was Ed or Niall trying to get his attention back. Instead he found himself face to face with Louis the cellist.

His mouth dropped open in shock. He couldn’t do anything but stare at him for a moment. “Uh…hi.”

“Harry, right?” Louis asked, his face as friendly as ever.

“Yeah. Yeah. Harry. That’s me. Good to see you, Louis.” Harry managed to croak.

“Good to see you as well. How’s things?” He asked nicely. He took a small sip from the drink he was nursing. Harry couldn’t help but stare at his lips as they latched onto the glass.

“Good. The song is coming along. I don’t know when I’ll finish it, but-“ Harry started to say, when he was interrupted by Ed.

“Harry! We thought you bailed!” Ed said with a chuckled, throwing an arm around him. He was really handsy, and Harry laughed at the gesture. He didn’t notice the way Louis bristled when Ed put his arm on him.

“Sorry. I ran into Louis.” Harry explained to his red haired friend.

“I see that. I’m Ed.” Ed introduced himself, sticking a hand out for a shake. Louis took it, somewhat reluctantly. He couldn’t seem to get his eyes off the arm around Harry’s shoulders.

“Good to see you, Harry. I hope we’ll talk again soon.” Louis said suddenly, backing away from the two. Harry wanted to stop him, tell him to come back. But as usual, he didn’t have the words to express how he felt. Instead, he let him walk back to his friends.

Harry tried not to let it bring his mood down, for the sake of the guys who were being so nice to him. Throughout the rest of the night, he stole glances at the Louis. He couldn’t stop looking at him. The way he moved, the way he laughed, the way he drank his beer. It was so strange for Harry to feel this way about someone.

His stomach got queasy when Louis grinned and he felt light headed when he tipped his head back to laugh. He’s never been so attracted to someone. He barely even knew the guy, and for some reason he was all he could think about. All his eyes wanted to look at.

_-_-_-_-_

“Where the hell have you been?” Liam exclaimed when Harry walked in the door later that night. Ed and Niall wanted him to stay later, but he excused himself, citing that he had class in the morning. He liked that they both looked disappointed when Harry bid the goodnight. They waved, telling him they’d talk soon. He liked the way it felt to have friends.

“I went out with some friends.” Harry smirked at his friend’s worried state. Harry shrugged his shoulder. He dropped his backpack and shrugged out of his jacket. He rolled his eyes at Liam’s surprised face.

“And it never occurred for you to call? It’s nearly midnight! You said you would be home hours ago! I’ve been worried sick!” Liam yelled.

“Chill. God, Liam. You go out with Zayn all the time and you don’t see me waiting up like some overprotective parent!” Harry retorted, placing his hands on his hips in defiance.

“That’s different!” Liam argued weakly.

“How is it different?” Harry asked.

“Because you-“ Liam started, then stopped himself. He wanted to kick himself at the way Harry’s face fell.

“Because what? Because I don’t have friends? Because I’m some social retard who is too hopeless to make friends for himself? Well you know what Liam? I’m fucking sick of being that guy. I’m so tired of being cooped up in my bedroom because I’m too afraid to try anything.” Harry said, letting his arms dangle at his sides.

“Harry, that’s not what I meant-“ Liam tried.

“No. I know it was. You’ve known me our entire life. I don’t blame you for being surprised. I just hate that you are, you know?” Harry said with a distasteful grimace.

“I think that’s great that you went out.” Liam told him with a warm smile. “Did you have fun?”

“Yeah. I ran into Louis.” Harry said casually over his shoulder as he went into the kitchen for a glass of water. Liam’s interest was suddenly peaked.

“And?” He said eagerly, following after Harry.

“Made a twat of myself.” Harry told him with a sigh. “He didn’t stick around for long. He was with his friends and I was with mine so we didn’t really…”

“Didn’t really what?” Liam prodded. He was very unsatisfied with that trailed off sentence.

“Nothing. Just…nothing happened. But I just… Wow.” Harry said in awe as he thought back to Louis. He was still dizzy from the sight of the older boy.

“Wow, he’s really lame? Or wow, you’re really interested?” Liam asked impatiently. His fingers tapped on the counter as he waited for answers.

“I’m really, really interested. Is that dumb? I don’t think he feels the same but I just…wow.” Harry said again. Liam felt like a 13-year-old girl at the way he had to hold back a squeak of delight.

“If he isn’t interested, he’s a bloody wanker.” Liam told Harry, who smiled appreciatively.

“Thanks.” He said bashfully. “I’m gonna go to bed. Have to be up early.” Harry said, dropping his glass in the sink and walking out of the kitchen.

“Wait! We aren’t done talking about this! I need details!” Liam whined, following after Harry again. Harry rolled his eyes at his nosey friend.

“Goodnight, Liam!” Harry said and slammed his door in his face.

_-_-_-_-_

“Is Harry seeing someone?” Louis asked over lunch the next day. Liam raised his eyebrow at the question.

“I don’t think so. What makes you ask?” Liam said, looking at the blue-eyed boy who looked mildly pissed off.

“I saw him last night. I was going to ask him out. And then this bloke, this fucking ginger, comes and puts his arm around him like he owns him. God, I felt like a tosser.” Louis groaned, throwing his fork violently into the pasta he was eating.

“Really? He hasn’t said anything. I know he’s been hanging out with some new friends, but he never said-“ Liam said, confused.

“You suck at this, Liam. You’re trying to set me up with some guy who’s supposed to be your best mate and you don’t even know if he’s single!” Louis complained, picking his fork up again and aiming it at Liam’s head.

“I thought he was! I mean, he would have told me if he was with someone.” Liam defended, flinching away from the projectile Louis threatened to launch at them.

“Well obviously not. They were awfully cozy the whole night too. There was so much room on the damn booth they were sitting in, and ginger had to sit right next to Harry.” Louis spat bitterly.

“You must be pretty sweet on him if you’re this jealous.” Liam pointed out smugly. At least he was right about one thing. He knew Louis would like Harry.

“I barely know the kid. I would like to though! But if he has a boyfriend then there is no point, is there?” Louis said sarcastically.

“Louis, I think you’re reading too much into that red head guy.” Liam assured a concerned looking Louis.

“You better be right. I’m real close to beating your face in, Payne.” Louis warned.

“Okay. I’m trying not to meddle anymore than I need to. But seriously. Don’t worry about that guy. I talked to him last night. You want to know what he said?” Liam said, smiling at the memory.

“Is that seriously a question?” Louis said sarcastically, leaning in expectantly.

““Wow.’” Liam said slowly.

“What?” Louis recoiled, confused.

“That’s what he said. ‘Wow’. All he could say was ‘wow’. And he grinned like a mental patient while he was at it. You have him totally smitten. Even if he were seeing that guy, he would be thrilled if you expressed interest in him.” Liam reasoned.

“’Wow’?” Louis said, amazed at the adjective.

“Yep. Can you imagine what would happen if you two actually talked for more that three seconds?” Liam mused dramatically.

“Shut up.” Louis snapped, smacking Liam’s head with the back of his hand. He looked away, trying to hide the blush that covered his cheeks.
♠ ♠ ♠
:)