Status: larry feels. i should be embarrassed.... but i'm not:)

And Then There Was You

good morning

Harry grumbled at his alarm clock the next morning. His early morning lecture was already putting him in a foul mood, and he hadn’t even been awake for more than a minute. He had missed his class, which he rarely did. Sleeping through an alarm was not something Harry did. Ever. He rolled out of bed as ungracefully as he always did. His foot got caught on a stray t-shirt, causing him to trip and crash into a pile of CD that was already threatening to fall over.

“Godammit!” Harry screeched as he crashed to the floor in a pile of limbs and plastic cases. “Brilliant morning it is.” Harry scoffed, standing up. He gathered his CDs with great care, making sure they were all stacked before padding out of his room to make himself some much deserved coffee.

On the way to the kitchen, he rubbed at his eyes, trying to coax some of the sleep out of them. He turned into the kitchen, slightly bumping into the doorway as he did so. He rolled his eyes at the obstacle. He took his hands away from his face, and got an eyeful of a nearly naked ass of a girl reaching into one of the cabinets.

“Jesus!” He exclaimed, covering his bare chest lamely. The girl jumped when she heard Harry curse, and let out a yelp when she realized she didn’t know who he was. Harry was in shock, not sure what to do.

“Who the hell are you?!” She yelled at him, pulling at the t-shirt that Harry decided belonged to Liam. It was a feeble attempt to hide her very long legs. Harry could only gape at her.

“This is my flat! Who the hell are you!?” He said in response, still holding his arms over his chest. “LIAM!” He yelled.

“Oh, Harry!” Liam said awkwardly, poking his head in the door.

“Liam?” The girl asked, still tugging at the shirt.

“I’m so sorry, Dani.” Liam said, giving Harry bug eyes. “I thought you had class this morning.”

“I do. But I slept through my alarm and missed it. And then your girlfriend scared the shit out of me.” Harry recounted, feeling uncomfortable in his boxer-clad state.

“We not dating.” They said at the same time. Their eyes met and they both blushed a deep crimson. Harry groaned in exasperation and stomped out of the room.

“Well if you aren’t dating will you please not parade around in your post-sex glory. This is a respectable flat with a poor bystander, not a brothel.” He yelled over his shoulder on and slammed the door to the bathroom. He was still shaken by the morning events, and the day was still young.

He started his shower, grumbling about the indecency of Liam and haw ridiculous his morning had been. But he couldn’t help but think about what it would feel like to wake up with Louis. To blush when they looked at each other. To spend the night together and scare Liam in the morning. By the end of his shower, he decided that he was very, very jealous of Liam.

-_-_-_-_

Harry was grumbling to himself as he walked into work later that day. He was in a never ending bad mood, and the universe seemed to be out to get him. He was able to make it to the rest of his lectures, but in the process had spilled scalding hot coffee on his chest, knocked over a toddler as he was rushing through the streets, run into a light post, and drop his notebook in a puddle. Harry was out of patience and good humor. He just wanted to go home and crawl into bed.

“Harry!” Ed called happily from behind the counter. Harry gave him an obligatory wave, and made no attempt to erase the frown that was permanently etched onto his skin. Ed raised an eyebrow at him. Harry never said much, but he never openly glared at people.

“What’s up?” Ed asked, readjusting himself on the stool he was sitting on. Harry sighed and climbed over the counter, like he always did. He could walk around, but it took too much effort. He gave Ed an inconclusive shrug and pulled his coat off. It seemed like a simple enough task, but his arm got stuck and he was left squirming, trapped in his own clothing.

“Jesus Christ all fucking mighty!” Harry yelled, finally ripping his arm from his coat. He threw it as far away from himself as possible. If he didn’t, he was sure he would light it on fire. He rolled his eyes at Ed, who was laughing at his expense.

“What’s the matter, Harry?” Ed prodded, trying to get his coworker to talk. Harry sighed again and crumbled into a stool next to Ed.

“I’ve had a horrible day. Everything that could possible go wrong has gone wrong. I can’t even get my fucking coat off. I’m about ready to jump into the Thames and drown. I swear to god. I’m too tired for this shit.” Harry said, running his hands through his hair. “And to top it off, I ran into my roommates half naked girlfriend this morning. Nothing like a face full of a strangers ass to start your morning off right.”

“I’m sorry, mate. That’s rough.” Ed said, trying to stifle a laugh. He decided he liked talkative Harry. In all the times they’d worked together, that was the most he’d ever said to him that wasn’t related to music. Harry had been more friendly with them in the weeks since they went to the pub together.

“It’s okay, laugh at me. Laugh at my pain. I don’t care.” Harry said dryly. He was going to say more, but a customer, waiting to be checked out, interrupted him. He glanced at the album they were purchasing and sighed. They had a Black Eyed Peas album, and it wasn’t even the good one. After seeing that purchase, he lost all faith in humanity.

“I think I’m going to dump salt into my eyes, just because.” Harry said seriously, standing up and going into the back room. He heard Ed’s laughter following him. He left his things on the old couch and folded his arms over his chest. There was a saltshaker on the table across the room, and he momentarily considered trying it, but in the end decided not to.

Instead, he grabbed a soda from the fridge and wandered back into the store to do actually work. Which he hoped only consisted of sitting behind the counter and watch people choose their music. He didn’t feel like doing anything, not even inventory, which was saying something.

Ed bustled around the shop, straightening things up, chatting with customers and being sociable. Harry noticed that Ed didn’t have any accidents as he went about his business. The universe didn’t have any problems with him today it seemed.

“Hey, Ed.” Harry called out to him after a few minutes. “What do you reckon I did to deserve this?” Harry asked him dramatically.

“Probably being a twat. I can feel attitude from over here. It’s really bringing me down, man.” Ed complained.

“Well then.” Harry said, slumping against the wall he had rested his stool against. “You’re rude.” He told Ed.

“Sorry man. You’re being lame. But I didn’t know you were so funny, Styles. I like it.“ Ed said, throwing an empty bottle that he picked up from the floor at Harry. He deflected it and frowned at Ed. “Hey, we just got a new shipment of vinyl. Maybe that’ll cheer you up.” Ed suggested, pointing to some boxes from by his feet.

“You just want me to do inventory.” Harry complained. Kicking at the box lamely.

“Nah. I already did that. They just need to be shelved. Hop to it.” Ed said, waving his hand at Harry. Harry grumbled at the command, but didn’t want to argue. He grabbed the boxes and walked over to the shelves so that he could add the new ones to the collection. After a few minutes he decided that it wasn’t such a bad job.

He took his time, reading over the albums and the artwork, frowning at some, and making a mental note to buy others. He was nearly finished up when he heard someone approach him. He didn’t turn, people usually didn’t usually talk to him anyway.

“Any recommendations?” A high voice asked from behind him. Harry jumped, startled at the question. He whirled around and came face to face with a petite girl with red hair. She was smiling at him widely. “Sorry. Did I scare you?”

“Uh, yeah. I’m a bit jumpy though.” Harry said, looking down at his shoes. The girl laughed and shook her head.

“Sorry.” She said simply, stepping closer. “Well, anything good?” She asked, idly thumbing through the stacks. Harry cleared his throat and pulled something from the shelf. Thank god it was something actually good.

“I uh-you like punk?” He asked, holding a Clash record out to her.

“Sure yeah. I’m more of a Sex Pistols and MC5 kind of girl. The Clash was a little too tame for me. Never been a huge fan.” She said, taking the record from him and looking it over.

“Seriously? Unlike most punk bands, the Clash positioned themselves as part of wider musical traditions. The band covered reggae, rockabilly and blues and had Joe Ely and Bo Diddley as support acts. After the Pistols, they were the most galvanic, mythologized force in punk.” Harry sputtered, almost feeling offended.

“Geez! You make it sound like I murdered the bloody queen!” She said, lifting her hands in a defensive manner.

“You may have well had. If you hate the Clash, you hate punk. There’s no excuse.” Harry retorted, pointing a finger in her face.

“Fine. Fine. I’ll give it another chance.” She laughed, waving the record in his face. Harry gave her a satisfied smirk, and pointed over the counter.

“I’ll ring you up, if you’re done.” He offered.

“Cool. Thanks.” She said, following her to the cash register. “This will be a nice addition to my punk collection. I’m sure the Pistols would like some company from their second best companion.”

“Hey, now. I have a very convincing argument prepared as to why the Clash is better than the Pistols. Don’t get me started.” Harry warned, typing the amount into the cash register.

“I might have to take you up on the offer sometime. Maybe you could change my mind.” She said, leaning in, resting her elbows in the counter. Harry nodded giving her a small smile.

“Yeah sure. Only after you’ve listened to the album, all the way through, with no bias.” He proposed. “And when you become a massive fan of the Clash, I can say I told you so, and give you my second favorite album of theirs.”

“So this is the first favorite?” She asked, pointing at the record in Harry’s hands.

“Definitely. 1979 was a good year.” Harry said, setting it down and telling her the total. She pulled some bills from her wallet.

“I’ll be back, then. Tell you what I thought.” She said when she got her change back. She grabbed her record and started backing away. “See you soon…”

“Harry.” He finished.

“Harry. I’m Anna. See you.” She said, giving at him as she continued to back away.

“I’ m looking forward to it.” He said, waving goodbye. He didn’t notice the blushed that crept up her cheeks when he told her that. She turned and left the shop, leaving him with a small smile. He loved helping people along with their education.

“Who’s that?” Ed asked from behind Harry.

“Eh, Anna? Just sold her a Clash album. Said she wasn’t a fan. Can you believe that?” He said, still astonished that there were people out there that didn’t appreciate the Clash.

“She was fit. And you got her to come back. Never took you as such a dog, Harry.” Ed chuckled, patting him on the back. Harry raised an eyebrow, confused.

“She said she wanted to discuss the album once she listened to it?” Harry said, confused what her looks had to do with anything.

“Code for ‘lets fuck in the break room.’” Ed said. Harry’s cheeks flushed and he looked at his feet.

“No. She was just talking about punk. She wasn’t like…hitting on me.” Harry said, shaking his head.

“She was. She so was!” Ed said. Then started laughing. “Oh my god! You’re so innocent! What, are you like a virgin? Never flirted with a girl or something?”

“Well-“ Harry said, his face now an alarming shade of crimson.

“Harry! Jesus! You’re a virgin! How the hell?” Ed screeched, astonished. Harry hit him across the chest, looking scandalized. Ed just laughed at his expense some more, slapping at his knee.

“Shut up, Ed!” He said, hiding his face behind his hands. Ed just laughed harder. “Why is that such a big deal?”

“Just. Wow. I guess it’s not. Just all the more reason to get with the fit bird, eh?” Ed said slyly, with a wink?

“Who? Anna?? Harry said confused.

“Yeah. She was cute. And she seemed to like your rambling.” Ed reasoned, rubbing the stubble on his chin.

“Oh, I don’t think so?” Harry said carefully, studying his shoes.

“Not your type?” Ed asked, cocking his head to the side.

“Nah.” Harry shrugged in response.

“What is your type, Styles? Tall, lanky and awkward?” Ed laughed.

“No…just…you know. Not her.” Harry said slowly, still not looking up. He took a deep breath and blurted it out. “Not a…girls.”

“No way. Now way! Harry Styles. Are you telling me that you’re gay?” Ed said excitedly, a huge smile on his face.

“Err-“

“I couldn’t even tell. God! My gaydar needs some serious attention. Good heavens!” Ed shook his head. Harry bit his lip, waiting for Ed to call him some rude name, or shove him around, or stop talking to him all together. Harry nearly choked on his own tongue when Ed said, “Thanks, Harry.”

“F-f-for what?” He stuttered.

“For…I dunno. Just for opening up to me. We’ve never talked like this before. You’re always so quiet. I just…I just really appreciate you letting me get to know you.” Ed said with a small nod.

“I-uh. Yeah. Sure. You’re alright.” Harry said, still astonished at Ed’s relation. It had never been so easy to tell someone he was gay. And Ed was okay with it.

“So you wouldn’t mind if I worked my magic on Anna?” Ed asked, a small smirk on his face.

“Go crazy, mate.”

-_-_-_-_

“So do you like…have a boyfriend?” Niall asked him, as Harry was counting the cash in the register. Ed had left a few hours ago, trading out with Niall. The blonde lad had only been here for a few minutes, but spent most of the time staring at him. His sudden question caught Harry off guard.

“What?” Harry replied, his face flushing in embarrassment.

“Well Ed just said…well, he told me about the chat you had.” Niall began. Harry raised an eyebrow. “I think it’s great! I mean. I don’t care. I was just…wondering. You never talk about your life. I don’t even know you’re roommate’s name.”

“His name’s Liam. He’s my best friend. And…no. I don’t have a boyfriend.” Harry answered, strangely comfortable around Niall. Him and Ed were the kind of friends that he’s always wanted. They liked the same things he did and they didn’t care about his sexuality.

“Why not?” Niall asked, snapping his gum loudly. Harry looked away, and scratched at the back of his neck.

“I’m not exactly…like…desirable. Up until you and Ed, Liam was my only friend. Hell, he was really the only person I ever talked to just for the sake of talking. I just…Never really fit in, and its just easier to be invisible, you know? And no one want to get to know the queer kid who never talks and always has his headphones on.”

“Fuck them then. I think you’re great. And any bloke would be damn lucky if you gave them the time of day.” Niall said, snapping his gum again, this time more passionately, causing Harry to laugh.

“Thanks Niall.” Harry said, smiling wider than he had all day.

“So there’s no one? Like not even someone you fancy?” Niall prodded.

“Why are you so interested in my love life?”

“I dunno.” Niall said. “I’ve just never had a gay friend before. I want to know what you talk about and stuff. What’ it’s like, I guess.”

“It’s just like you liking a girl, I think. Except…its not a girl?” Harry said slowly, tipping his head to the side.

“Hmmm.”

“There is this guy…I don’t know. It’s dumb.” Harry said, blushing and shaking his head. Niall’s face lit up and he smirked at Harry.

“Tell me!” He begged Harry, clapping him on the shoulder.

“His name’s Louis. I really don’t know him that well. I’ve met him a couple times…but I see him around school and stuff. But he’s like this super popular cello prodigy who apparently is famous. I just…don’t think there’s a chance. But he’s really…he’s just. I like him.”

“I see. Why don’t you think there’s a chance?”

“I’m me.”

“Well, keep on with an attitude like that, and its bound not to work out. I’m not gay, nor have I ever given advice to a gay person, but I’m going to give it a shot.” Niall said, looking at Harry seriously.

“Okay. Hit me.”

“If you want it to happen, make it happen. Don’t rely on chance, or fate or whatever the fuck people say. If you want him, tell him. Trust me, I’ve beat around the bush with girls before, and more often then not, nothing happens.”

“So…” Harry said, trying to come to the moral of this story.

“Be assertive. All you need is a few seconds of badass courage to tell him how you feel or to like, ask him out…and you’re golden. I can guarantee it.” Niall said confidently.

“Be assertive.” Harry repeated. Niall nodded, his grin impossibly wider than it was before. He seemed satisfied that he was able to give Harry some guidance. Harry appreciated the effort, but there was no way in hell that he was going to be able to confront Louis like that. He was still the same shy, reclusive person he’s always been, even if he had more friends now.

There was no way in hell.
♠ ♠ ♠
i don't really what inspired this chapter...just...there you go:)