I Need You

1/1

“You make me feel special,” Willow murmured to the picture of her lover. She had been using the wrong tenses when referring to the woman, but she couldn’t be bothered with correcting herself or caring what others thought. “I miss snuggling you at night…You keep me warm…” She watched a tear splatter on the glass of the frame and wiped her eyes. “I’m sorry you’re seeing me like this,” She told the picture, breathing out. “I’m just a mess when you’re not here…”

“I’m right here, baby,” Willow heard Tara whisper in her ear. She didn’t turn around though. She had been hearing Tara ever since…it happened and she was done being hurt with not seeing the woman. She couldn’t take more heartbreak from it. “Aren’t you gonna look at me?” She heard. She imagined Tara’s smile as she teased the other. She could see the light in her eyes when she would turn and see her… Willow sniffed and rubbed at her eyes, not being able to handle the thoughts. She felt a warmth wrap around her as she quietly sobbed. “Don’t cry, baby…Sh, sh, sh… I’m right here.” Willow could’ve sworn she felt lips on her cheek.

“No-” Sob. “-You’re not.” Sniffle. “You’re gone.” She pushed her dirty red hair back. It was greasy and gross, but she didn’t want to get up to make herself decent…She had no reason to.

“I could never leave you, baby…Not even when I’m dead.”

Willow shook her head violently, biting her lip so hard it almost bled. “No! You’re not dead!” She cried, her throat tightening. “I won’t believe it!” Her body jerked as she threw herself onto the pillows, crying more than she had thus far. “You…can’t be…dead.” She didn’t bother wiping her tears. “I need you, baby!”

She felt the warmth over her body again and she imagined Tara holding her and kissing the top of her head. She could swear she felt Tara beside her, doing all the things she would be if she was actually here. She wanted to believe her love was there, but she knew better. She knew that the woman wasn’t there and she couldn’t take the pain anymore. She crawled to the side of the bed and reached out for the bedside drawer to grab the athame that was there. “Willow, baby, don’t do anything like that…” Willow felt Tara’s warmth on the hand that was holding the small knife. “Baby, they need you… You need to stay here.

Willow shook her head, tears streaming down her face. “No, I need you,” She said with a shaky voice. “I need you, Tara!” She said, loud enough to get Buffy’s attention. Buffy was worried about the other, so she went to knock on the door, but stopped to hear Willow’s conversation with herself. “I needed you and you went…I could’ve saved you, but you didn’t stay! I could’ve used my magic, baby, but you didn’t give me time,” She cried as she raised the dagger up. “So I’m going to come to you…” She nodded and pursed her lips, nodding once more to reassure herself.

Buffy’s eyes widened and she opened the door to see Willow about to plunge the knife into her chest. “Willow!” She shouted, jumping at the other to stop her from killing herself. The athame was thrown to the floor and Willow proceeded to cry, this time into Buffy’s chest. Dawn and Xander came to the doorway, alarmed by the shout and clatter. They watched as Buffy held the broken woman.

“I need her…I need her so much,” Willow sobbed as Buffy pet her hair down. Dawn teared up as the redhead cried. “I need her. I need her.”