내 곁에 있어줘

Meeting Jinyoung was some kind of miracle, a gift from God, he would have said. He pulled me out of the darkest part of my life, dusted me off, gave me hope, and restored my trust and optimism just by being himself. He wasn't perfect by any stretch of the word, but damn, he was close. Like me, he had his problems. Like me, he hid them from the rest of the world. Unlike me, he didn't hurt everyone around him because of it.

Life had a funny way of screwing me over, and what little I was given was taken away in the end. I had been abused, bullied, ostracized, and taken advantage of. I wasn't popular, not the kind of girl who had many friends. I was the type who preferred to read books or play video games to shopping or partying. I was not glamorous, wealthy, or beautiful. I was just me.

That's why I found it so hard to believe that he loved me.

Despite it all, I can't forget the little moments we spent together. His fingers would interlace with mine and he would squeeze my hand softly. After that, I would lean into him, smelling that distantly familiar scent, and feel his arm wrap around my waist. The last part, I remembered vividly. It was the memory that haunted me most in the years of our parting. At the end, he planted a soft, innocent kiss on my lips and said through a smile, "사랑해."