The Bride and Her Bloodlust

Chapter 16

Al tried his best to keep up with me as I leapt through the city. My eyes were dark and utterly focused with my brow wrinkled and my mouth frowning. The air was cold and rain gently spattered down from above, splashing against my face hard as I tore through the air.

I was angry. Livid. Panicking. Despairing. Eva’s words had shot what hope I had gained. She was no longer working on a cure, no longer trying to fix what had been done to Lucius. She only tried to keep him there, keep his light shining, as the poison worked harder to eat him. I was clinging on desperately to the task given to me. I had to find the poison somehow. I had to. Or Lucius was going to fade away.

I had thought this for the last two days. Eva’s voice and timid words had whirled in my mind. Memories of Lucius and his madness kept fluttering around. After every failed hunt, the memories grew stronger and made me more desperate to find something that would help him. But I never did.

I stopped sharply and scowled down at the graveyard below. I was alone for a few seconds before Al caught up, gracefully landing beside me.

“We have checked here several times.” Al pointed out. “We have found nothing and you have smelt nothing. I doubt we will have much luck here.”

“It’s the only place we know the witches gathered at. They guarded this place, they tried to hide it. Something has to be there.” I snarled, sparing a glance at him to scowl.

Al sighed but didn’t argue. He knew I was grasping at straws and becoming increasingly scared for Lucius. As much as I would like it that he didn’t know, I wasn’t able to hide it. It kept seeping out through my manic searches and snappish tone.

I leapt down, landing lightly in a shallow puddle. Ignoring the dirty water that now covered my face, I stood and strode over to the high weed covered wall. I gave it one untrusting scowl before I clambered over and landed in the thick mud on the other side.

I scowled in the darkness and rain, glaring at every tombstone, overgrown tree and thick blade of grass. Instantly I inhaled the icy air, trying to get that scent that I had lost long ago. I didn’t understand. The witches were here. They had to be. Why would they just abandon the poison and not watch to see if it works? I growled to myself and tried to find that dreadful scent. I sniffed and inhaled, letting my Matter fill my nose but with no luck. Al wondered about the graveyard, trying to find some sort of disturbance. He found none.

After some time, I stood in the centre of the graveyard, scowling and trying not to scream in frustration as the rain poured harder. Al approached me quietly, speaking gently to me to keep me calm.

“Susan.” Al said softly as he grasped my shoulder. “Let’s look somewhere else. The city is vast with many farms and houses on the outskirts. They may be out there somewhere.”

“They’re here.” I said firmly and stubbornly. “They went to too much trouble to hide this place for them just to abandon it.”

“She has a point.” Vincent said from the shadows, startling me a little. He hadn’t been with us at first and I hadn’t sensed his arrival but he had been helping us with our hunt for the last two days. Often he worked on his own, seeking out different areas but always coming to the same conclusion. “But there is another place I think we should look.”

“Where?” I demanded.

Vincent’s single eye shifted to Al before he turned and leapt out of the graveyard. I followed keenly and Al lagged behind, staring at the shadows and watching for any unwanted visitors. I quickly recognised where we were going but found myself growing confused. The streets grew narrow and winding while the house became thin and tall. I had been here a couple of times before. It was where James’ friend Henry lived. Why would Vincent think the poison be here?

Vincent stopped in the exact same spot I had hunkered down once before. I remembered Lucius coming to me, telling me the threat to the Old World had returned. A few minutes later, he was a victim himself.

I stood beside the hulking figure of Vincent while Al kept his distance, still watching for danger.

“Why here?” I asked curiously, some of my rage dissipated. I stared down at that familiar quiet house.

“I have been told that this family is not as they seem.” Vincent said calmly.

I memory flashed of the woman I had seen, the strange glint in her eyes and the unnatural feeling I got from them. “Henry’s family?”

Vincent nodded. “The boy is not a threat and probably isn’t even aware of what’s going on but the rest are possibly involved.” He explained. “They’re human but dangerous.”

“Who told you this?”

“A witch who has been hunting the Old World longer than you. She’s been involved for many years now.” He replied deeply. “I won’t name her, she prefers to be hidden, but she knows more about these people than anyone.”

I didn’t like him withholding information, it made me a little frustrated. If I could get a hold of this witch then I possibly might be able to hunt the Family down better and get that bloody poison. But then I suddenly recalled something and whirled around, scowling at Al.

“You were keen to know if I sensed something about this family, Al.” I stated sharply. “You know something.”

Al shifted his weight but managed to keep his expression blank. “I was only warned about them with a note. I wanted to know if you could sense any danger about them, especially as they were becoming involved with James.” He paused. “I want my boy safe, Susan.”

My anger faltered and I nodded glumly. “I know, but telling me would’ve been an idea.” I scolded.

“I had thought that, as you had sensed nothing, that the family was fine and I was wrongly informed.” He said with a shrug and glanced at Vincent. “But you’re saying otherwise, Vince.”

“I am not entirely but be wary of them. Eva’s witch is still not happy with them even if you didn’t find anything wrong.” He warned darkly. “There have been several families that have been found to know of the Old World and intend to kill us. Hunters, they call themselves. All trained in the way of killing an immortal and how to find one.”

“But they are human.” Al scoffed.

“And vast and aggressive and underestimated. They have more powerful weapons nowadays and the technology to truly do us some harm. We’ve lost Packs to them as well as a weak Clans in the last ten years. These Hunters are being fed by the Traitor Family and the threat and know they won’t be detected easily. They can hide.”

“They may be Hunters but I am looking for the Allaway witches that poisoned Lucius. I want that poison, Vincent.” I said sharply, scowling up at him. “Am I going to find it here?”

Vincent was quiet before he looked down at the dark house. “I am not sure.” He admitted. “Eva’s witch is very wary of this place though, far more aware of it than any other Hunter family. They may be connected to the Allaway Family, not just simple Hunters.”

“If you aren’t certain, then we go where you are. I don’t have time to waste.” I said. “I’ll have the Clan watch this house and its people but I’m focusing on helping Lucius.”

“I’ll watch it tonight then and see what I can find.” He growled. “If I can get in tonight and find anything of interest, I’ll let you know.”

I nodded, turned and strode off, leaving Vincent to scowl down at the house with distrust as he hunkered down on the rooftop. I could smell his annoyance and wariness. He didn’t like that family at all. It made me a little unnerved. There wasn’t much in the world that could put Vincent on edge.

“I’m keeping James away from Henry now.” Al growled as he followed me quickly.

“A wise idea. Even if that family isn’t directly involved with the threat, they’re dangerous by just potentially being Hunters.”

Al grunted in disbelief. “I haven’t heard of these Hunters.”

“There have always been Hunters but never been a threat to the immortals themselves.” I said. “You must remember the witch hunts though. The killed hundreds of my kind, as well as simple women. If they have the technology, knowledge and weapons to hunt the immortals then they will do damage. Humans are not as weak as they appear, Al, and they are vast in numbers and quick to rally with the right words.”

Al glanced at me, chewing on my words thoughtfully, before sighing in defeat. “I’m sorry for just using you, Susan. I didn’t believe much in the note but I wanted to double check James was safe.”

I shrugged. “It is what you do, Al. I don’t mind.” I said honestly. I knew what Al was like and he often tried to get me to do things without telling me what. “Let’s just focus on the poison for now. James will be safe at home.”

“Disappointed though.”

“But alive. Alive and disappointed is far better than dead.”

Al grumbled in agreement and continued to keep close, this time finding a little easier as I wasn’t charging about in a blind desperate rage. I headed back to the graveyard, ignoring Al’s groans and attempts to persuade me nothing was there. It wasn’t until I leapt over the wall that I felt something wrong.

Al was close beside me, sighing heavily and stating he was sick of this place, as I listened carefully. I couldn’t smell anything but I couldn’t hear something. I faint whining hum and gentle echoing steps.

I lightly tapped Al’s leg, alerting him to the possible danger. He instantly stiffened and growled softly while I gripped the pommel of my mother’s blade. I sniffed the air but smelt nothing. That wasn’t right. I should smell anything, especially with Matter heightening my senses sharply. It alarmed me a little.

My turned swiftly when I heard wet footsteps rushing towards me and flicked the sword out from its sheathe, letting it meet the witch-blade that was aiming for my face. The attacking witch instantly pushed back and leapt away and dropped her sword, opting for the twin pistols instead.

Al fled as the masked witch let out a flurry of bullets, mostly aimed at me. I deflected most as I charged towards her but some thudded into my suit, stirring my Matter as it held up their defences. As I drew close, I slashed at her, sending out a throng of Matter that cut through the tombstones behind her as she bounded away. I sent out another wave of Matter, cutting at grass and trees, but I noticed how clumsy she was. She was only barely avoiding and couldn’t attack much at the same time. This wasn’t the same witch that poisoned Lucius.

As she was so focused on me, Al got in close behind her, taking the chance to slash at her with his thick claws savagely. She scurried away and alarmed me when she holstered one of her pistols and took something from her pocket. She didn’t flee entirely from Al, in fact she seemed to want to get close to him.

“Al!” I roared in panic. “Get away from her!”

Al didn’t listen though. His own rage had broken free now that this witch had stumbled clumsily out into the open. He wanted vengeance for his Uncle and he was determined to have it.

I surged forward as the witch and Al fought dangerously close. Al managed to avoid the sharp needle or block it but he was being reckless. We needed that poison and we didn’t need Al to get himself turned. The whole Clan would crumbled if the Core was eliminated.

I swept my sword upwards, cutting between the two of them and pushed Al away as I hacked at the witch. I didn’t feel it catch her but I smelt the blood and saw her hand sail in the air followed by a high pitched squeak. Clutching the sump of her arm, the witch scurried away, avoiding the blade and the Matter that swept out dangerously from the tip.

She leapt out of the wall and fled hurriedly. Al tried to follow but was forced to stop when I grabbed his arm firmly.

“Leave her.” I said sharply.

“Leave her? She just tried to poison me!” Al snarled savagely. “And she’s one of the Allaways! She knows where they are!”

“I know but we have what we need.” I looked down at the leather covered arm laying limp in the thick grass, the syringe still clamped in the dead fingers. “Once Lucius is recovered, we can focus entirely on hunting the Family down. For now, we try to cure him.”

Al growled angrily but he didn’t say a word. I knew he didn’t fully agree but we couldn’t risk only one of us chasing after her. It may be a trap and Al may be poisoned. We needed more members to risk following the witch.

I sheathed my sword, taking a mental note to clean it later, and crouched beside the hand. I picked up the needle carefully and stared at the pale green liquid inside. The poison. It was such a small thing to cause such pain and fear.

“Do you think that will be enough?” Al asked stiffly behind me.

“I don’t know but Eva will.” I said as I held it carefully in my hand. “Take the arm. Make sure every member of our Clan smells that blood. They must know the scent of the blood if we can’t follow the Matter.”

Al scooped it up silently, completely un-phased that he was holding some girl’s limb.

“She was a different witch.” I muttered as he began to head back cautiously. We both watched the shadows and our ears strained for the slightest sound. “She was young, shorter and far less experienced.”

“I guessed she was. Leaving something as precious as that poison to keep yourself alive seemed like a youngster thing to do.”

I hummed in agreement and fell silent. I felt numb. It hadn’t quite sunk in yet that I had the vial Eva requested. That Lucius may yet live. And all because a young witch messed up. I was thankful she did though. If she hadn’t, I may not have ever gained that vial. Lucius would never have had any hope at being saved.
♠ ♠ ♠
This ended up being quite long which is good :3