The Bride and Her Bloodlust

Chapter 18

I woke to humming and very slowly opened my eyes to see James sitting cross legged beside me. He was grinning at me, humming still as he rocked back and forth. Next to him was Pyotr, eerily silent as ever and gazing at me with those massive wary eyes of his. He sat in a similar fashion to James but lacked the enthused rocking and grinning.

“Good morning, James and Pyotr.” I mumbled as I woke slowly. My body always took its time to regain its strength back and allow me to move.

“Good morning, Aunt.” James replied and laughed lightly as Pyotr ducked his head down having been addressed by me. He was still as shy as ever but he was venturing about with James happily. Not that he was ever alone. I couldn’t see her but I could smell Livia outside my room, listening for any dangers.

“What is it you want?”

James tilted his head, completely unabashed by my blunt tone. “Mother told me Uncle might get better now.”

Hearing that did make me smile. “I’ve found what he needed, it’s up to Pyotr’s Lady-mother to see if she can create a cure in time.”

“She will, I know she will. And Pyotr has been helping her.”

I glanced at the boy, noticing him shrink further away. “How?”

I directed it at him but it was James who answered. “Pyotr’s been trying to keep Uncle there and stop the darkness. When the Lady can’t do it, he’s been doing it instead.” He grinned.

I raised my eyebrows, a little surprised that such a small boy could do such a thing. “Does the Lady know?”

Pyotr shook his head lightly, making his white hair flop about.

“He doesn’t want her to know, he told me. He’s worried he’ll get in trouble.” James said. “But I can tell you.”

I glanced from Pyotr’s glowing face and wary eyes to James’ proud expression. Very slowly, I pushed myself up, only now registering that I had been dress and put under covers. Mo, I instantly thought. She often checked on me to make sure the sun hadn’t forced me to sleep before actually getting in to bed. Once I was sat up, I gazed at Pyotr.

“You’ve been protecting Lucius?” I asked softly.

Pyotr’s gaze nervously flickered between his olive hands to my face before he nodded sharply once.

“Thank you.” I said simply before I pulled the blanket back and got up onto my feet. “Lucius may get better then.”

James whooped happily. “Can we play today then if you’re not going hunting?”

“We can but later.”

“Can it be a hunting game again? I like those. They’re fun.”

“If you want.” I said as I forced a comb through my tangled hair. “I need to speak to your father first. Once that’s done, I’ll play.”

James rocked hard and fell sideways onto my bed. “I’ll hide then and wait for you to find me.”

I raised an eyebrow at him. “Won’t that be boring?”

He shook his head, still smiling as he lay sprawled out. “It won’t. It’ll be fun. I’ll hide good though. Bet you won’t find me.”

I snorted. “Really? You’ve never successfully hidden from me before.”

“I will today.”

I shrugged and dropped the comb back on the dressed. “Then you had better get started.”

James instantly leapt onto his feet, grabbing Pyotr’s hand and dragged him out of the room. The door was left open and I saw a swirl of dark skirts as Livia followed silently. Sighing, I dove into the bathroom and showered quickly. I wanted to talk to Al about that bracelet and tell him about my new theory.

With my hair wet and sticking firmly to my neck, I ventured downstairs in search of the young Master. I went passed Eva’s lab, gagging a little at the thick chemical air that seeped out from beneath the door. I peeked inside, briefly glancing about the dimly lit room and observing Eva work. Dana was in there, sat on the sofa with her scythe in her hands, but I wasn’t surprised. She never left Eva’s side. But I wasn’t sure where Vincent was. He may be hidden in a dark corner but I couldn’t pick up his scent. All the same, I shut the door and continued on my way.

I found Alphonse in his Uncle’s study, a normal place for him to haunt. Ella was with him, reading quietly as Al sat beside her, thinking broodily. He was obviously still upset about the witch that had fled from his grasp. Only Ella looked up at me when I entered the room. She gave a happy smile and wave.

“You’re awake now.” She stated as I came to sit on the coffee table in front of them.

“I am.”

Al eyes narrowed at me with curiosity. “What is it?”

I pulled out the old bloodied wooden bracelet. “I hear a song from this.”

Al leaned forward while Ella eyed it curiously.

“Isn’t that the bracelet that owl brought to you?” He asked.

“Can’t you hear it Al?”

Al listened, tilting his head a little, before he shook his head with his brow knitted. “I can’t.”

I pressed my lips together. So he couldn’t hear it. Currently I couldn’t either, not unless I had the majority of my Matter floating about in my ears. The sound began to emit again, a soft humming.

“It sings briefly and my Matter can hear it. Unless I am using the Matter, I am deaf to it.” I said softly. “The witch that poisoned Lucius was wearing one and so was the little witch who kindly gave us the syringe.”

Recognition flittered over Al’s features. “I remember, yes. A small beaded bracelet. It was brighter than this though.”

“This was once coloured but the paint has faded.”

“But you didn’t smell anything from it before, only old blood.” Ella pointed out. “So what are you hearing?”

“I’m hearing Matter. Old Matter and only enough for it to sing. It’s been embedded into the beads with wards. But I can’t smell it. The wards prevent me from doing so.” I explained as I fingered the wood, feeling the little slimy wards slip under my skin. “I don’t think I’m meant to hear it either. It’s very quiet, even when my Matter’s at its strongest.”

“Is that how the witches hide their scent?”

“I’m guessing so. I’ve heard of no witch being able to hide a scent, especially from another witch. But these wards, if I’m reading them right, can. It absorbs the scent of its user and sings to its kin so they know where each other are.”

“How can you hear it though?” Ella asked as she touhed the beads warily.

I shrugged lighty. “My Family was known for producing witches with a lot of Matter and being quite sensitive. It may be that I have enough to notice the song. I would be at my prime right now, my strongest point as a witch if I was still one.”

“You are.” Ella said firmly, giving me a convinced glare, before gazing back at the bracelet. “If it is an Allaway bracelet, why was t sent?”

“I don’t know.” I replied honestly. “I thought they would hold onto this tightly but they didn’t. Or someone else sent it to me.”

“And it’s definitely an Allaways?”

“The Matter is familiar to both witches who fought me and the blood. Smell it.”

I held it out for Al and he took it without a word. I watched as he inhaled deeply, sniffing the old blood covering that wood. I knew he got it the moment he stiffened.

“The blood from a relative to the little witch.” He growled.

“That’s how I know this bracelet is an Allaway’s.” I plucked the bracelet from his hands. “Who this was sent by and why, I have no idea and nor do I care. It’s given me an idea on how the Allaways remain so untrackable and how to hunt them.”

Al leaned forward, his eyes glowing egearly. “So we can hunt again?”

“Not yet, not until we know we have a cure. I don’t want to lose any more members of this Clan.” I said firmly, making him grunt with displeasure. “Remember, we mostly have young ones behind our walls. We’ll round up the stronger Branches and hunt together in large groups. I may see if the Crone will lend us some powerful witches and see if they hear the songs too.”

“But not now.” Al said unhappily, thudding back into the chair. Ella held his hand comfortingly.

“No. Not until Eva’s done her end of the bargain.”

“And what if Uncle dies? What if we lose him before the cure and can longer test it?”

I pressed my lips together hard. “Eva shall find a way to test it on Lucius’ blood, trust me.”

“What about you?” Ella asked timidly, clutching Al’s hand tightly.

“Then I hunt to my death. That is all. I won’t become a Grey Blood witch and only be known to slaughter hundreds when I turn and remembered for nothing else.”

Ella’s eyes softened, her own fear perking up. She often felt sad for me unnecessarily. Unlike her, I never had a choice. The threat of the Parasite was thrust upon me when I dying years ago. And, unlike her, I wasn’t meant to exist. I was a banished and illegal creature with death as punishment if I was ever found, even if Lucius remained alive and keeping me fed. Witches were far too risky to turn and allow the chance of becoming a parasite. A mad witch vampire was one of the most deadliest creatures and most violent. But I wouldn’t let myself have either fate. I was either going to live sanely or die quietly.

“Fine, we’ll do as you say. I’ll call the Branches, see if they are willing to come to us so long as they have no children.” The young Master said, his tone softening. “I’ll hunt with you Susan and when you say we should.”

I nodded once, not showing the appreciation I felt on my face, and left them quietly. I roamed to the top of the house, climbing up the numerous staircases, before scrabbling my way onto the room. There was no door to it but you could always climb up easily.

I sat in the cold wind, holding the bracelet to my mouth. My Matter was strong in my ears, making the howling wind deafening at first, almost unbearable. I had to stop now and then to let my ears rest and my head stop thudding. But eventually I managed to cut out the sound of the wind and hear only the bracelet’s song.

I lost track on how long I listened to that gentle hum. But I had to know it perfectly. I had to be able to detect it, to train my ears to hear the quietest of songs. Any who hunted with me would be relying heavily on me to guide them and warn them of any incoming dangers or followers. Currently, I was the only one hear who could hear it and I would have to teach any other witch of it.

Some time passed. I didn’t register how cold the world was becoming nor how wet. Rain fell heavily, lashing against my face and soaking my clothes. I didn’t notice it. I didn’t notice anything.

Nothing apart from the sound of panic beneath me.

I let my Matter fade and stopped listening to the song of the bracelet and peered below. The doors were open, letting light flood out.

Curious, I dropped down, landing with a heavy wet thud before a couple of youngsters. I recognised the two instantly. They were Hilary and Ben, two male youngsters who looked now younger than Al but hadn’t even reached their first birthday. The often played with James and kept any eye on him for Ella and Alphonse.

“What’s happening?” I asked warily.

The unstartled but very flustered pair glanced at each other then looked at their feet.

“We had nothing to do with it. We gave him to Ella and helped him to bed.” Ben said defensively. “He’s usually good once he’s in bed. Always stays there and never makes a peep.”

While I knew this, his words still made my heart sink and my blood boil. ”What’s happened to James?” I demanded a little more savagely than I intended.

“Nothing.” Hilary said softly and sorrowfully. “But we can’t find him.”
♠ ♠ ♠
The extra updates are now permanent so expect them every second Friday. Next week will be an extra TBAHB week :3