The Bride and Her Bloodlust

Chapter 21

I sat with my knees pressed against my chest as I watched Lucius sleep in his prison. He was on his back with his face turned to me, showing the blood of the hit Vincent gave him and the beard that was growing again.

I had left the young Master to his mourning and come down to see Lucius instead. I had hoped he would soothe me but he had to be unconscious for it. Having him snarling and snapping at me through the bars wasn’t particularly calming of my hurting heart and only made it worse. But once Vincent rendered him unconscious, his face calmed and his lips covered his bared fangs. He looked peaceful, as if I had my mate back and he hadn’t had his face bashed against iron bars.

I watched him for a long time, my tears long dried for Ella and rage was slowly burning in my chest. The witches had done some much damage to the Clan. They had poisoned the Head, slain Ella and taken James. And if James is killed and Al can no longer cope, they would’ve killed him to. It made me very aware that every member of the Core was under threat now. If Lucius became entirely lost, I would die. If Alphonse lost everyone, he may not cope. It was a mess.

My eyes never left him. They gazed at his face, at his chest as it moved gently, at his large hands and lines of the muscles in his arms. I longed to be with him. I wanted to curl up next to him and have him cuddle him, to bury his face in my hair. But it was becoming a dull desire now. A hopeless want. I was never going to get him back. The cure was taking so long in being created that I had, deep down, accepted that he was going to fade before the cure was complete. I would never have him back and I was numb to the feeling now. All I cared about was ensuring the Clan was safe before Lucius and I died.

I stiffened when I felt something stir in my mind, like a soft and gentle wind.

‘My witch is here. Come to me and she’ll tell you where to start hunting.’

I was on my feet instantly, only briefly giving one sparing glance to Lucius as he lay, bloody and filthy and only just about resisting to curl up next to him and clean him up. I fled upstairs, nodding to the youngsters who watched the dungeon door, and sought out Eva in her make-shift lab.

Inside was a small crowd. Eva sat with her son curled up beside her while Dana and Livia stood by the door, acknowledging me with a nod and a smile. Vincent stood in the darkness as usual, gazing over everyone with glowing eyes. Alphonse was there, quiet and still.

But the woman who sat opposite Eva was someone I had never seen before. She was tall with a wealth of red hair on her head. Her smile was gentle but her eyes sharp and alert, the sign of an old hunter. But I recognised her faintly. I couldn’t focus and was weak when she appeared but this woman had saved my life the other night.

The witch only gazed at me and made no move to introduce herself at all.

“This is my witch, Augusta. She has been helping me for a long time and will help you too.” Eva said as I walked closer to Alphonse, eyeing him briefly to see if he was focusing. “Augusta, tell Susan what you think should be done.”

Augusta nodded her head and her sharp green eyes landed on my face. “The graveyard. All scents are leading there and all activity has been from that spot. You will find something there that will take you to James.”

“So you lost his scent?”

“No, his scent is in the graveyard. He was taken there, I am certain. But I can’t figure out where they went from there.” She replied firmly. “The Lady has told me you can hear songs from the bracelets so I am certain they have covered an entrance the same way they cover their scents. You need to listen in the graveyard, listen for one of those songs and it will lead you to their base.”

I shifted my weight, a little pleased I hadn’t been wrong about the graveyard but also annoyed that I hadn’t heard the songs before. If I had, we could’ve mounted an assault on the witches before they struck at us.

“How many do you think I should take?” Alphonse asked.

“The strongest you have but not too many. You want enough to outnumber them but also few enough so they don’t see us coming.” She paused. “You do realise this is probably a trap, don’t you?”

I nodded my head. “I’m concerned about the poison they have. They may try take us down and turn us mad.”

Augusta nodded but it was Eva who answered. “You’re not to worry about that. If someone is poisoned, I will cure them. The antidote is coming together nicely so I’m sure I can fight the madness.” Eva said softly as she looked down at Pytor when he stirred.

He sat up and gazed at me with those huge eyes of his. His expression was sad but oddly determined. I hadn’t seen that look on him before, something so hard.

“I want to help.” He blurted out then blushed when everyone looked at him.

Vincent came forward and placed a large hand on his tiny head. “You can’t, Pyotr. There is no way you can help.”

“I can.” He pulled out a strange toy from his jumper, a tiny thing made of wood and vibrant wool, and handed it to Vincent eagerly. “Take it with you, papa. I can watch you and help you and sense dangers.” He glanced at me. “Susan can’t listen out for the songs on her own.” He paused, suddenly shy. “I want to help find James. He’s my friend.”

Eva stroked her son’s hair and looked up at Vincent as he turned the toy in his hands. “Take it. Pytor can’t be hurt if he’s not truly with you. Let him help. You know how sensitive his mind is. He will sense the danger before anyone else, even if he can’t hear the songs.”

Vincent looked uncertain and scowled at the thing before he grudgingly nodded. “I will take it. Pyotr, I’m relying on you.”

The determined expression retuned and Pyotr nodded sharply. “I’ll listen for danger.”

Vincent looked up at me, ignoring my curious stare. “We can split into two groups with Pyotr now helping. You and Augusta should work together. I will need Alphonse with me to guide his youngsters and you will need to keep Augusta safe, guide your own and listen for the songs. Pyrotr will listen for me.”

I glanced at Augusta and noticed she was sizing me up also. I had never worked with another witch in my entire life, let alone worked with her. She was a stranger to me and I had no idea how she hunted. I knew Alphonse was the better hunting partner, we knew how each other worked, but we had to split up. I needed to lead as well as Alphonse.

“Fine.” I growled. “But we need to leave now. Dawn will be here in a few hours.”

“Then prepare yourself. Alphonse, you too. Gather up some youngsters you trust will hold their own.” Vincent intrusted.

Normally Alphonse would rebel against that kind of tone but he simply nodded and stalked off, his eyes ablaze with rage and vengeance. After giving one last look at the weird toy Pyotr had produced, I turned and strode out, heading straight for my room.

I heard footsteps following me and glanced back to see Augusta following me. Her legs were longer than mine and her strides faster and she quickly caught up.

“This shall be interesting.” She said behind me as we wound our way up the stairs. “I am not one to work with a partner.”

“And I work with vampires, not witches.” I replied tightly as it suddenly dawned on me she didn’t know about my Black Blood status. I had to keep grips on my teeth and caws. I couldn’t fight like a vampire in front of her. I had to be careful.

“We shall have to be quick in figuring each other out then.” She said with a smile in her voice. “I look forward to this hunt with you. I know you a Lowell witch and I’ve heard the witches of that Family had great volumes of Matter.” She paused. “Although they apparently died out long ago.”

“My mother left me here.” I lied. I couldn’t tell her I was fifty years old when I still looked twenty. “She was dying and knew I would be safe here.”

Augusta pulled a face behind me. “Another Family would be safer.” She pointed out but didn’t press further. She fell silent for a brief moment before she inhaled sharply. “How is the Head, Lucius?”

“Sick.” I replied bluntly. “With high chances he is going to die. And if we don’t deal with these witches soon and save James, the Core will die out. The Rain Clan will fall.”

I turned to face her when I came to the door and was surprised by the amount of pain I saw in her eyes. It was raw with some anger. I smelt the guilt too. It made me curious.

“I will let you get ready. Come to the hall when you’re dressed and armed.” She said hurriedly then walked away with her hair bouncing madly.

I narrowed my gaze after her, staring at her with strong suspicion. Why would she feel guilt and pain for us? Not unless she was involved somehow. Was she a traitor? A spy for the Allaways? I decided to question her once this hunt was done. Right now she was an ally but I would have to be extra cautious. No way was a going to rely entirely on her to keep myself and my youngsters safe.

I opened the door and hurriedly gathered up my suit, pulling it on quickly. Thankfully Mo had repaired the damage done to it with Dana’s guidance but it was still weak in places. A suit often needed a lot of care and airing when torn. It didn’t have that luxury though. It was the only suit I had.

Scooping up the weapons, I placed them in their holders and sheathe that littered the belt and pulled my hair back, revealing my scarred face to the world. Ready, I left the room with determination this was going to go right. I had to get James back. And I would. He would come home and grow strong, to become a good leader of our Clan. To give Al reason to live.

But determination wasn’t going to pull me through this time. For me, everything always went wrong. This was no exception.
♠ ♠ ♠
This part was meant to be much much bigger but my health is not good at all and I decided to cut it in half. That way I still update, even if it is a short bit, and don't stress myself out for not writing 3,000 words or more. I shall write the other half of this part for friday.