The Bride and Her Bloodlust

Chapter 31

The night was cold. A storm had passed, leaving a chill to the air and mist clung to the ground. The moon was bold now that the clouds had gone and cast a blue light over the fields beyond. The cold was making me feel better. I hadn’t felt well when I woke up this evening but the sickness seemed to have passed.

I sat at the foot of the cabin, staring out at the darkness with wide eyes that glittered with the light. Augusta had been gone for a good while now. She had listened to Molly’s guidance and loped off, seeking that den of witches further north. The rest of us remained here, waiting quietly within the home of Patrice, an elderly witch of the Ashworth Family. While she didn’t know us, she was vampire promised and opened her door willingly to us.

I could hear her now, chatting away to anyone willing to listen. It was often witches retired to quiet areas in the country but they often kept younger witches around them, daughters or nieces. Someone to protect them if trouble came looking. But Patrice was alone. I had asked but she only laughed and told me if death came to her, she would welcome it.

I sighed and leaned against the wooden bannister and inhaled deeply. It was cleaner out here than back home. The air was crisp and the stink of grass, plants and animal clung to everything. It was pleasant. My eyes never left the tree lie in the far distance and I listened to everything, from the wind to the animals cries. But mostly I was interested in the figures moving about in the field.

Vincent and Lucius were walking about the perimeter, stalking about quietly and watching out for danger. Vincent was still most of the time, hunkered down in the long grass, while Lucius was always moving, pacing around the cottage constantly. Mostly though, Lucius was worried about Augusta. He wanted someone to go with her but she had refused. She worked faster and quieter on her own. No one could argue with that. So he had to wait for her. I had to admit, I did feel a pang of jealousy at the extent of his concern. I knew that he hadn’t seen his niece in years but I could not help it. I swallowed it as best as I could, no matter how bitter it was.

I looked up sharply when the door opened and a chubby neat woman tottered out of the tiny cabin. She smiled at me, wrinkling her skin further and creasing the ugly burn on half of her face.

“I’ve brought you something warm.” Patrice said as she placed a large mug of tea beside me. “It’s cold out here. Maybe you should come inside.”

I shrugged and took the tea, mostly out of wanting to hide my vampirism from her than any desire to drink it. “I might do soon.”

Patrice nodded in approval and pulled the shawl around herself tighter. “Winter is always so cold. I always hated hunting during it.”

I shrugged. “How is Molly?”

“She is fine. The little vampire is looking after her. She sleeps at the moment.”

I frowned at that. I had let Elizabeth guard Molly mostly because I realised I had no choice in the matter. But I had Daniel helping her, mostly because he actually liked Molly and would stop Elizabeth from accidently putting her claws in Molly’s throat.

“Is everyone awake then?”

“Well, Molly’s asleep, as I said. Daniel is dozing. Elizabeth remains awake. But Alphonse, he is still awake.” She looked down at me. “You should talk to him. Vampires need sleep and he’s not getting any.”

“He won’t sleep. He’s scared of it.”

Patrice seemed to register why instantly. Her eyes grew wide and sad as she mouth drooped into a frown. “I should’ve recognised the signs. He is not doing good. But he needs his sleep. If he doesn’t, he’ll die quickly in this hunt of yours and will be more of a hinder than a help.”

I bit my lower lip hard. She was right. Alphonse was exhausted both from grief, hate and the lack of sleep. He may be immortal but he could still die. He was weak.

I eventually stood, carrying my tea, and wandered inside, leaving Patrice to make her way out to Lucius and Vincent. I watched her hobble down the steps and smiled briefly at her kindness. She was aware vampires didn’t need warm drinks to keep the chill away but she still went out of her way to give them some.

I wandered inside, closing the door behind me to keep the heat in. It was a small place with the lounge and kitchen combined. In the corner on the old sofa lay Molly, curled up in a thick blanket. She slept heavily with Pyotr’s toy beside her head. Daniel sat on the floor beside her with his head on his knees. He looked up with half open eyes to see who had entered, smiled once in acknowledgment, before he tried to sleep again.

Elizabeth was the only truly alert one. She sat on the windowsill, staring outside constantly. Her large bright eyes were narrowed as she glanced at me.

“Nothing yet?” She asked without hope.

“Nothing.”

She grunted. “She’s better hurry up. I want to do something other than sit.”

“Augusta will return when she’s ready.” I said simply, ignoring her irritated growl, as I made my way into Patrice’s bedroom.

It was here Alphonse sat. He was on the small bed, hunched over with his face in his hands. I was utterly exhausted and still he fought to stay awake.

I closed the door behind me and approached him cautiously. He made no move or recognition of my presence.

“Al.” I murmured as I sat behind him and touched his back. “You need to sleep.”

“No.” He replied firmly.

“If you don’t, you won’t be strong enough to fight or hunt. You’ll die.”

“I will take someone with me then. The witch who shot Ella or the witch who poisoned James. I don’t care who but one of them will do.”

I didn’t like his tone. It was hollow. Dead. “Alphonse, you are not going into this battle as a form of suicide. I am not going to let you.”

He didn’t say a thing, just dropped his hands. “I can’t do this Susan. The pain. It is too much. It just a great big whole in me.”

I gripped his shoulder. I couldn’t lose him to the grief. I knew that the grief of losing a mate for immortals was strong, maddening and engulfing but it was fightable.

“Alphonse, Lucius needs you. He’s lost many, like you, over the years. Morrigan took his brother, his father and your mother. She’s slain many young and caused him terrible grief. He’s free of her now but what good is that if he’s just going to lose his one last family member anyway? He’s got his niece back but you are the one who’s always been there, the one he’s watched grow and teach. You are more a son to him than a nephew. Seeing you fade and taking your life like his brother will hurt him deeply.”

Alphonse’s eyes flickered to me and I saw emotion there, humility. “My uncle has you Susan. He needs no other.”

“He does. He needs you. He needs Augusta. He needs all those lazy arsed youngsters that clog up his home. If he just had me and nothing else, he would be miserable. I alone can’t make him happy. The same goes for you.” I tightened my grip on his shoulder and lowered my head, forcing him to look at me. “You have me, Alphonse. You have Lucius. You have Augusta. You have a family still. If you tossed your life away, we would hurt.” He didn’t say a word, just hung his head. “Sleep for a while, Alphosne. Regain your strength and come back to us. Fight. You may not find another woman you’d love but you will find many youngsters who will look to you for guidance and protection. Lucius will need you to take over when he dies. The whole Clan will. They will need you to keep it together. Find love and reason to live in that.”

He didn’t say anything for a moment. He simply just turned and pulled me into a tight hug. I couldn’t hear his tears but I knew they were there. I rubbed his back, urging him to let his pain out. Before long, he let go and laid himself out on the bed. I left Alphonse be after that, hoping that maybe I had talked some sense into him. That maybe he wasn’t going to commit suicide by running himself into a witch blade.

I returned outside, passing Patrice and Elizabeth who talked quietly, and sat on the porch once again. I couldn’t see Vincent but I saw Lucius. Rubbing my arms, I trundled down the steps and stepped out into the muddy field. The earth squelched beneath my feet, sucking at my boots horribly and making it a little difficult to walk in, irritating me a little. I eventually made it without falling once and Lucius welcomed me with that warm smile of his.

“I haven’t seen her yet.” He said, guessing what I was going to ask. “Nor have I seen any enemies.”

I frowned. She had been gone too long. I could feel his own concern. It swirled about in his mind strongly, making my jealousy glow.

I breathed in the cold air slowly, trying to bash it away. It annoyed me that I felt such a thing. “She should be back soon.”

He glanced down at me with a sly glint in his eyes, making my scowl appear in defence. I knew he was in my mind. He could feel the hot stab of jealousy. And it was entertaining him.

Scowling at the darkness before me, I ignored his arms as he drew me close to him, laughing softly to himself. I remained stiff as a board as he wrapped me up and nuzzled the top of my head, refusing to stop watched the tall trees and their thin trunks.

“Not a word.” I snapped with my teeth bared.

Lucius just laughed at my aggressiveness, making my cheeks fan red. I never intimidated him like I could others.

“I know.” He said as he kissed my forehead, smiling against my skin.

I grew sulkier as he made it clear he still found it entertaining, even as his mouth trailed kisses down my nose. But when he claimed my mouth, my stubbornness melted away. I found heat rising within me as I opened my mouth under his. All the worries and thoughts of death quickly fled from Lucius’ kiss and were quickly replaced with longing. It grew tihin me, wrapping me in lust, making me deepen our kiss. But it didn’t dull my senses.

The snap of a twig caught attention and I tore myself from Lucius. There, in the trees, running madly, was a witch. And it wasn’t one of our own.

“Lucius.” I hissed sharply as I pulled away from him.

“I know.” He growled savagely as he tore into a run.

I roared for Vincent before I belted after Lucius. I tore through the trees with wind whistling in my ears. Lucius was ahead, bounding soundlessly after the witch. She sped far ahead, tearing through shrubs and nettles.

“Don’t let her go, Lucius!” I shouted.

Lucius didn’t answer but he knew. If that witch managed to escape us the Allaways would know we were here. They would run.

As I loped through the woodland, I suddenly felt a spasm of sickness again. Cursing, I tried to ignore it but it curled in my stomach. Unintentionally I slowed. Scowling and holding my churning stomach, I pulled out a pistol and aimed. I doubted I could kill her in one shot but I had to do something.

I aimed for her, trying my best to avoid Lucius, and fired one bullet. It whistled off through the air and the witch cried out as she stumbled. It didn’t stop her but it had definitely given Lucius time to catch up.

I was smiling with triumph until I saw her aim something in the air. I watched with confusion then despair when there was a loud bang as a flare shot off into the clear sky. It popped into a horribly bright light and was shortly followed by another further away.

I stared numbly at the sky as a couple more flares went off, popping loudly in a pool of red light.

“What’s happened?” Vincent demanded as he ran to my side, silent as ever. “What was that?”

I glowered at the figure running away and Lucius staring dumbly at the sky, no longer bothering to chase the witch.

“It was a flare.” I said darkly with a savage scowl over my face. “The Allaways know we’re here.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I am a total idiot. For some bizarre reason, I forgot to post this part from a month ago! I posted it on Wattpad (as I usually do first so the part is set out properly) then weirdly forgot to post here! I am an idiot! And I am sorry ;-; So I post it now, even though it isn't a posting day.
Also, the worst of the my health seems to have passed. While physically I am numb and weak, my mind is now focusing again and allowing me to write. Currently got an update ready for thursday and in the process of sorting an update for The Bride And Her Bloodlust on friday. So yay! Things should begin as usual.
Sorry again about the stupid forgetful post ;____;