The Bride and Her Bloodlust

Chapter 32

Augusta scurried ahead, bounding through the brambles and ignoring the thorns that tore at her thick fur. I was close behind, inhaling the heady damp scent of the forest as I kept glancing at the sky nervously. We had little time to fight and dawn was approaching.

Lucius kept close to me, carrying Patrice on his back. The old witch had been insistent we take her with us and wouldn’t take no as an answer. I wasn’t sure how she would be of help but she was quite content, jabbering away to whoever would listen. Alphonse kept close, keeping an eye on our backs with as much focus as he could muster while Molly and Daniel kept watch either side of Lucius.

The Blackburns were nowhere to be seen however. I was glad. Elizabeth had been grating on me as she growled and snarled about the witch that had found us and her escape. Augusta hadn’t seemed to be mind too much but she was one to hide her thoughts well. For all I knew, she too could be as angry as Elizabeth.

Augusta stopped sharply at the edge of a small cliff. Her eyes glittered eerily as she looked down at the farm below, eyeing the barns and large farmhouse. There were several people littered about the grounds, all holding some kind of weapon. Shouts could be heard as the alarms were raised. They were preparing themselves for us.

“It is here.” She said as we reached her side. “I have disabled couple when I ran from here but there are still some wards active.”

“I can help.” Molly announced happily. “I know how to find them quickly.”

“Then come with me.” Augusta said sharply. “Susan, you find as many as you can. We just need enough down so the immortals can enter.”

She didn’t wait for me to respond and bounded off into the brush with Molly chasing after her.

“Let me off here, Lucius.” Patrice asked.

Lucius cautiously lowered the old woman to the ground and let her hop off his back. She shuffled forward and glared down at the farm below.

“Is this where the traitor Family exists?”

“Yes. At least Augusta believes so and she’s been hunting them a long time. I trust her.”

Patrice nodded. “If I had known they had taken refuge near me, I would’ve said something to the Crone. They killed our last Crone you know. Slew her and used her corpse as a puppet. It was a disgusting act of treachery.” She slung the gun from her back and pulled of the black cloth, revealing an old silver witch gun. A sniper rifle. “I will help you from afar. Leave Alphonse, Daniel and Lucius with me. You go and get those Wards down. I’ll focus on those deeper within the farm and give you help when I can.”

I was about to dart away without a word, my old habits of obeying older witches kicking in, until Lucius arrested my wrist.

“I’m not letting Susan go alone. I’ll help her.”

“How? You can’t see what we can. You will be a nuisance.” Patrice stated bluntly with a bright smile as she got herself into position, lying flat on the damp earth with her gun ready. “Susan is capable of handling herself for now. When the witches and hunters have gathered, that’s when she’ll need you.”

Lucius pulled his lips back, revealing his ragged teeth threateningly, until Alphonse spoke.

“Susan will be fine. Let her go. She’ll come back.”

Lucius calmed instantly with the fire in his eyes dimming. It was the first time Alphonse had spoken to calmly and strongly in a long while. I noticed then that there was some focus in Al’s gaze, some life.

Lucius’s gaze never left my face. His expression was torn but time was running out. I stepped closer to him and gripped his hand comfortingly, letting my thumb stroke the back of his hand.

“I’ll be okay.” I said softly.

Moody silence greeted me. He continued to stare down at me with dark unhappy eyes. He wanted to follow me, to watch my back and help me. He couldn’t. He was blind to the wards and everything within them.

“I can go.” A small squeaky voice said.

Daniel stepped forward, holding out the weird toy. “I can see so I can watch for danger.” Pyotr said confidently as he clung to Daniel’s fingers and rocked back and forth in his palm.

Lucius didn’t quite like the idea, I could feel his annoyance and frustration, but he took Pytor from Daniel all the same and plonked him on my shoulder.

“Look after her.”

Pytor shuffled about and gripped onto my collar. “I will.” He promised. “Viorel is on his way. He’ll help us.”

Lucius grunted and gave me a fleeting kiss, something that warmed my mouth instantly and stirred a small spark of longing.

“I’d get going now, Susan. Augusta and Molly have made themselves known.” Patrice advised as she squeezed the trigger and let fly a silent Matter bullet. “Get those wards down so we can bring this Family to justice.”

I could hear the voices of witches and hunters gathering. They were more frenzied than before. I gave one last glance, drinking in his face, before I turned and darted off.

“Remember they’re using a web system!” I heard Patrice’s old voice bellow after me as I left them behind.

I tore through the shrubbery and weeds and bounded down the sharp hill, ignoring the cries I was drawing closer to. Pyotr remained silent on my shoulder as he listened and watched for danger for me. I didn’t have much time. I had to get those wards down quickly. If I didn’t it, the Family could hide away themselves away. I knew a way though. As Patrice had said, the wards are a webbing system. Take down the one that holds it altogether and every ward would unravel. It was just finding it amongst people who wished me dead was going to be a little hard.

I found one ward etched into the gnarled back of one old tree. I hacked at it once, shattering it and weakening the protective wall surrounding the farm. Without pausing, I ran onwards, listening to the gunshots and cries.

“They don’t know we’re here.” Pyotr childish voice whispered softly in my ear. “But Augusta and Molly are being hunted.”

I sliced at another ward with my blade ripping through bark angrily and tore on. “Augusta knows how to deal with herself and Molly knows these people. They’ll be fine.”

Pyotr hummed worriedly but said no more and worried quietly. Several more wards were destroyed. I hacked and cut at every rock and tree, tearing down every one I found. I kept my distance from Augusta I could feel her at the other side of the farm and the sound of gunfire few angrier and louder. But no matter how many I tore down, the barrier remained.

Pytor shuffled nervously when I stopped charging about and listened to the cold air, trying to seek out any I missed and the single ward I wanted.

“Why isn’t the barrier down yet?” He asked me fretfully. “You’ve cut lots of wards. There can’t be any more.”

I continued to listen and scent the air, ignoring Pyotr’s worries. I knew what I was looking for, the biggest ward, the core of it all. As shots rang out about me, I readjusted my grip on the blade as I stared out at the farm. I could hear a loud hum and smell the stench of Allaway Matter.

“It’s out in the centre, the core of it.” I muttered. “Webs of wards like these always have a core.”

Just as I began to step out, I froze. Everything had gone quiet.

The sound of the breeze bustling through leaves was the only thing I could hear. There were no cries of enraged shouts. No bellows. No shots. Nothing. Shambled forward, trying to get a look at the farmhouse and was surprised to see no one there. I glared out at the farm from the safety of the trees and brambles, hunkering down so no eyes could spot me.

“What’s happening? Where’d everyone go?”

I didn’t like it. The oppressive sensation of danger was smothering me. I constantly glanced up at the cliff edge I had left the others and wrapping my mind around Lucius’. He was fine and there was no sign of movement from them. But Lucius was on edge. I could hear his snarls and feel his tension.

“I don’t know.” I stepped forward slowly, shuffling out of my wall of leaves and towards the open field.

It was then that the largest barn suddenly lit up. The lights cracked on from within with white light flooding out into the darkness. I hissed and ducked further.

‘What’s happening?’ Lucius asked thickly.

‘Not sure but it’s quiet and everyone has gone. Stay where you are and keep a look out.’

I pushed some branches out of the way as I made my way closer, gripping my sword and shushing Pytor’s whimpers. My ears strained and sought the tiniest of sounds and my eyes scowled at the barn. As I draw closer out into the field, I began to hear snarls. They were low and dim but gradually growing in intensity and number. Something was in that barn and there was a great number of them.

“Do you see the ward yet?” Pyotr asked nervously.

I glanced sharply at the centre of the grounds, in the muddied cobbled courtyard that was surrounded by barns and fences. I could see a faint purple glow and hearing the scratchy humming of the ward.

“I do.”

“Then go for it.” He urged.

I was worried about the barn and I was quickly going to find out I was right to. Just as I took a few steps forward, letting my feet be sucked at by the dead field, the barn doors opened. Out spilled a wave of people, hissing and snarling and scratching at one another savagely, tearing out each other’s flesh with tooth and claw.

Some fled from the horde, sniffing blood in the air and hunting down the corpses Augusta had created. They scrabbled at the floor, howled and screamed at the sky as they sought out blood, something to sedate their maddening thirst.

“Parasites.” Pyotr breathed fearfully.

I stopped sharply, glancing at the horde of parasites then at the ward. There were many of them but most were tearing each other apart and feeding on one another. There was only a handful that had split from the group, seeking out the few dead on the grounds or hunting anything that they could eat.

I didn’t hear it but I saw one drop as a bullet shot through its head. It collapsed to the floor like a lifeless doll, instantly attracting a swarm of parasites on them, tearing them apart and drinking every drop of blood they could find.

‘Go now Susan! Alphonse and I can’t help you unless the web goes down!’ Lucius demanded urgently. ‘Patrice will guard you.’

I didn’t need much more of a push. With Pyotr whimpering with fear, I charged straight for the ward.

‘If parasites are here, they’ve been testing. A Blue youngster is here.’ I said sharply as I tore through the mud, spraying it up my black leather clad legs.

‘I know. We will find them.’ He promised.

I leapt over the rotten wooden fence and landed awkwardly on the cobbled driveway. The sound of my heels snapping against stone grabbed the attention of several nearby parasites. Instantly they were charging towards me with bloodlust in their eyes.

“Susan!” Pyotr wailed as he clung on to me.

I kept my eyes on the ward as I darted forward, letting my sword fly into limbs or chests with sharp swipes when necessary. All around me deranged howls and enraged snarls thudded about in my ears. Warm blood splattered against my face. But, even as I hacked and Patrice shot, the parasites kept coming for me. They were no longer interested in the dead. They wanted live blood. The blood of a vampire.

Patrice was shooting as quickly as she could as a horde of thirty strong began to notice me and lope towards me. I was close though. With my sword humming, I cried out and swiped at the ward, sending out a wave of Matter that tore through the cobble and collided with it, shattering it instantly. Almost at once, every other ward fell and the barrier collapsed. And I would’ve celebrated if it wasn’t for the several snarling madmen surrounding me.

I turned sharply and swiped my sword up, watching grimly as it cut open one poor man as he screeched in pain. My Matter hissed against his skin, burning him like acid as he collapsed, dead. More flung themselves at me with their fangs bared and their claws drawn, mad with bloodlust and determined to sate it. Some dropped dead from Patrice but most got close to me. I hacked and sliced, almost getting my face claws open by one until a wolf barrelled into them.

They snarled beneath Augusta as she tore and ripped at the throat then loping away when she another drew to close. Shifting smoothly, she drew her sword and came rushing towards me.

“Slay these and find the child and old man!” She demanded as she evaded a small throng and lopped off one attackers head. “We haven’t got much time and too much to do!”

I hadn’t forgotten. I could feel the sunrise coming but I bit back my irritated response. As I tore through the remaining parasites, I could feel Lucius coming to me. I looked up and saw Alphonse and Lucius, tearing through the parasites that had swarmed to them.

“Where is Molly?” I bellowed having not seen the little witch. It worried me.

“She is looking in the barn for the child or any sign of them.” Augusta responded.

It calmed my nerves but I couldn’t help not liking Molly being on her own. While I trusted her while she is paired with Augusta, I didn’t when she was alone.

As I turned to hack at one parasite, finishing him off with a quick swipe, I strangely found myself without an opponent. Augusta was shooting down some in the distance while Alphonse and Lucius were coming to my side. The farm was littered with the dead.

“Father and Elizabeth are here.” Pyotr said happily.

I glanced about, seeing the two Blackburns picking off the last stragglers. Not that there were many left, only four or five. I didn’t like that they had come so late and I wrinkled my nose in annoyance.

A strong hand gripped my shoulder but a comforting one. I looked up at Lucius, pleased to see he wasn’t hurt.

“Are you okay, Susan?” He asked instantly, touching my chin to check my face.

“The blood isn’t my own.” I answered.

He smiled thinly and attempted to wipe it away with his sleeve but only ended up smudging it.

“I’m worried.” Pyotr whispered to us as he gazed about the blood stained fields. “Where are the hunters? There were several earlier.”

“I am not sure but Elizabeth and I killed several in the woods.” Vincent answered has he approached us. “They were going to try and ambush us. Kill us off while we fend off the parasites.”

I was pleased that they weren’t just loafing around but my irritation remained. “Check the barn, the farmhouse, everywhere. We need that old man Abraham.”

“He’ll be trying to run right now. As soon as the alarm went off he would have fled.” Daniel said worriedly. “If we don’t catch him now, he’ll be lost to us.”

“Daniel, you’ll go hunt in the farmhouse then with Vincent and Molly. You know how your grandfather works.”

Daniel nodded grimly and gripped the pistol in his hand tightly. “Okay.”

“What will you do?” Vincent asked as he looked back on his sister. She was tearing out every parasite heart without pause, making sure every single one was dead.

“Lucius, Alphonse and I will find Miriam. She’s just as important to slay.”

“Then go.”

Vincent grabbed Daniel’s shoulder and shoved him ahead roughly. But our plan came to a sudden stop when we looked down to the house.

The door was open and a woman I faintly recognise was dragging out a small girl. A gun was held to her to head, stopping her from struggling. Not that it mattered. I could see how gaunt her cheeks were, how exhausted she was.

“That is Clare’s niece.” Lucius hissed.

I recognised the child then, the typical blond hair, the round face. Vivienne did look a little like Clare. But the woman I slowly recognised. Her horrible hawk face and mousy hair. I remember how she smiled at Ella and how she praised James. It was Harry’s mother, Lucy. Hatred and rage boiled in my gut. But not on the level of Alphonse. He snarled and spat and desperately held himself in place, stopping himself from running to her and ripping her head off for what she had done.

“You want the child, don’t you?” She yelled to us. “You can have her soon.”

“We want more than the child.” Elizabeth spat as she chucked a heart away with a black bloodied hand. “We want your father. We want that bitch Miriam. We want vengeance for what you and the Allaways have done to us.” She roared with her voice growing louder and more savage.

Lucy did let it become obvious at how scared she was, instead she straightened her back and pressed the gun harder against Vivienne’s unresisting head. Whether or not that weapon was plied with whatever stuff the hunters used to slay immortals, it was going to kill Vivienne quick and easy. We had to be careful.

Very slowly, out of doors and barns, several hunters emerged. They held shotguns and pistol, aiming each of these confidently at us. Molly was shoved out of the barn with a gun to her head. Tears were flowing soundless from her face and she was shaking with fear. For a moment, I felt bad for doubting her.

“You all just stay right where you are.” Lucy shouted. “No one move or everyone gets shot and you don’t want to be shot by these bullets. These are acidic for you, filled with the witch’s magic.”

We didn’t move, only hissed and snarled. Lucius edged closer to me, keeping me within his reach and protection while keeping one hand of Alphonse to keep him steady.

“Where’s Augusta?” Pyotr whispered to me.

I didn’t know. I hadn’t seen where she had gone but she wasn’t among us. It gave me some spark of hope.

Al’s jolted with a snarl, snapping his teeth, when he saw an old man emerge from the house. Daniel stiffened and took a step back, gripping his gun so tight his knuckles went white.

“It’s Abraham.”

I hadn’t thought Abraham would’ve come out. I thought he would’ve had an underground bunker. Some place to scuttle away in the face of danger. But he didn’t here. He was coming out and being bundled into a car. He didn’t say a word. No one did. Not until I heard the faint soft song behind me.

I whirled around as the car revved into life, baring my teeth at Miriam. She smiled at me, ignoring the cut on her neck as she held Augusta’s hair tightly. But it was the sword keeping her in place. It stuck out through her chest with blood covering its blade.

“I don’t really care for this plan of theirs, it’s pointless and insane, however my other sisters do so you’ll have to contend with them for Abraham.” Miriam grinned. “But I will help them to slay every single one of you.” She tightened her grip on Augusta’s hair and twisted the sword, making her hiss in pain. “This is for you, red witch.” She turned her eyes to Lucy. “Call the order once the car is gone!”

My spark of hope drained rapidly as I saw the car pulled away. Vivienne remained in Lucy’s grasp. Molly cried. Alphonse spat with rage. Augusta was impaled. And several loaded guns filled with Matter induced bullets were aimed at us. There was no opening to get us out. Nothing.

I gripped Lucius’ hand, trying to draw strength from how calm he was and soothe my shaking body. I was so angry, so infuriated, so hate filled. This was not the vengeance I had planned for Ella and James. This was slaughtering my Clan.

Just as the car slowly pulled away, taking that old mad hateful man with it, Miriam laughed in glee.

Then Lucy dropped dead as a Matter bullet smacked her in the eye in a splatter of blood and all hell broke loose.
♠ ♠ ♠
And here is the new part! 3,500 is was! Just kept going and going and going. But only a few parts left now :3 Sorry it has taken so long to get out. Been quite ill for the last month. But my health is stabilising now so writing can continue :3 Missed writing this, especially as I was so close to finishing it.