The Bride and Her Bloodlust

Chapter 8

I stormed through the house, my heart ponding and my blood boiling. I was so angry yet so scared. Whatever had happened to the Master had to be fixable. I refused to believe otherwise.

My fellow slaves had abandoned the east wing but cluttered up the main all. Mo and Ella were among them, worried and fearful. While everyone scrabbled out of my path, whispering with confusion at the bleeding wound on my neck, Mo rushed to my side.

“What’s happened?” She asked.

“I don’t know.” I hissed and continued on my warpath with Mo and Ella in tow.

I threw the study doors open, not caring that they struck the walls hard, and hurried over to the Master’s desk. Ella trundled inside and Mo quickly shut the doors behind us.

“What’s going on Susan?” Ella asked as she approached me.

“I said I don’t know!” I snapped, slamming the draw shut when I failed to find the book.

Mo walked forward, feeling no fear of me and with a glare that matched my own. “Susan, your wound needs to be sorted out.”

“It’s fine.” I growled, ignoring the burning sensation and the memory of Lucius’ claws ripping into my skin.

“It’s not fine. It’s leaving blood everywhere.” She said bluntly and continued to approach me.

She reached out and touched my arm, titling her head to get a better view of the wound. I knocked her aside though and hissed savagely, backing off and trying to hide the wound.

“It’s fine!”

Mo frowned, thickening her wrinkles. “It’s not.” The frown turned into a scowl when I hissed again in frustration. She folded her arms and tapped her arm. “Hiss and spit as much as you want Susan, I’m not afraid of you. You won’t hurt me and that wound needs to be tended to.” She said firmly.

My unbridled rage sputtered for a moment. I realised then I was just snarling at everything. I was panicking. Something that wouldn’t help Lucius at all.

I backed down and let my fangs retreat back into my gums. With a sheepish look and submissive bow of the head, I let Mo approach me and tilt my head to the side. She touched the wound, feeling the warm sticky and congealing blood that was covering the ragged holes and tears of my skin.

“It’s quite nasty.” Mo commented.

“The Master is strong and his claws are thick. Of course it is.” I muttered.

Mo gave me a calm glance before she stepped back. “I’ll get a few things. I’ll be back in a moment and we’ll get it cleaned up.”

I nodded once and she bustled off, leaving me alone with Ella, who was standing in the middle of the study, confused and scared.

“Where’s James?” I asked as I let myself fall into the Master’s chair. His scent was thick here and gave me a little bit a comfort but it also made my chest squeeze an ache with pain. I just wanted to curl up with him and forget this nightmare.

“He’s with Harley and Rosa at the moment, in the gardens.” Ella said as she fidgeted. “Where’s Al?”

“He’s dealing with the Master.” I said as I half-heartedly went through the draws. “And he’s okay, just a bit beat up.”

Ella nodded and collapsed into the sofa with a soft thump. “What the hell’s happened?”

“I don’t know. That witch did something to him.” I said and looked up as Mo came back. She held a box, filled with all sorts of medical equipment and carried a small bowl of water carefully.

“Ella, I’ll need your help with this.” Mo said with a tone that said she couldn’t argue.

Ella was slow in moving and her face was shadowed with anxiety but she got to her feet all the same. She came to my side and looked at the wound with wide sad eyes.

“I can’t believe Lucius would do this.”

“Well he did.” I growled and winced as Mo dabbed a cloth on the sore burning wounds. Ella hovered, waiting for when Mo would need her help with the stitching.

“What do you plan to do about this?” Mo asked as she worked.

“I plan to contact Eva. She might know what to do about this or at least delve into his mind.” I said stiffly as I tried not to snap at Mo. Whatever was on that cloth was really causing my flesh to sting. “I can’t feel Lucius. His mind has changed. Eva at least might be able to find him.”

Ella anxiety thickened and Mo hummed in faint agreement. “Will the Lady be able to though? She’s just had an attempt on her life and several people close to her die.”

“She will.” I said firmly. “Eva is the Lady and one of her most trusted Heads needs her. She’ll respond to my call.”

Mo nodded slowly. “Call her once this is done though. I’m going to need you to keep still, not on the phone spitting feathers.”

I grumbled but obeyed. I really didn’t want to clean up all the blood that was seeping out of the wound. I was already going to have trouble getting it out of my clothes. At the least the Master’s chair was leather. That wouldn’t be so bad to clean.

I bit my lip as Ella shuffled to Mo’s side, prepared in helping her stitch up the ugly injuries. I was given nothing for the pain and I took it as best as I could without ripping off Mo’s hands as she slowly stitched each gaping hole together. It took some time, which felt even longer for me as I gritted my teeth and clench my fists, and I breathed a sigh of relief when Mo announced she was done.

“I did the best I could do.” She said as she stepped back and observed her work. “You look like a mess though.”

I just scowled at her. I knew I did. My face was purple and puffy from the assault of the witch and I now had stitches keeping my skin together on my neck and shoulder.

“You can phone her now.” Mo said as she packed up the medical kits and used cloths. “Just don’t get too angry.”

I grunted and looked up at Ella. “Go tell the eldest youngsters that they’re to be on watch. I don’t know if this witch will come back and I don’t want her to get away alive is she does.”

Ella quietly nodded and turned without a word, letting Mo gently grasp her elbow and guide her out, whispering soothing words to her quietly. As soon as the door swung shut, I looked in the last draw and found the book littered with old dates, names and numbers. I found Eva’s and quickly entered the number into the phone. I could already feel my annoyance bubble as it rang but I remained calm as I could.

I needed Eva. I needed her here and help Lucius. I didn’t care that she had nearly been killed and lost one of her most trusted guards in the last week. I wanted her here and I wanted Lucius back.

I was not going to take no as an answer from her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Short, I know, but it has been good brain exercise for me. Hoping I shall be updating as normal now as my health is feeling more stable and kinder now the cold is gone and my health is no longer sulking. I'll get a longer part out next week for you guys. Thank you for your patience :3