And Only Surrender Will Help You Now

Just Look At The Mess You've Made

Underdog
Just look at the mess you've made
It's such a shame, a shame, we had to find out this way
Revenge loves company, three makes it a crowd
So watch your mouth, sit this one out

~ You Me At Six

____________________

Starting a morning with being called to your boss' office is a clear sign that your day is most likely gonna be shit. Kate's mind was full of things that could have happened that she would be needed for, but none of them seemed important enough for her to be called in right as she entered Madison Square Garden. Reaching the office door, she knocked, her heart pounding in her chest as he called her inside.

"Katie, I'm glad you could join us. Take a seat." John Tortorella, head coach for the New York Rangers, was sitting behind his desk. Standing next to him was a man wearing a simple looking suit and an aura of dullness surrounding him.

Kate sat down in one of the chairs in front of Tortorella's desk, nerves causing her right leg to bounce softly. Torts opened his mouth to speak when the other man cut in.

"Katherine Montgomery, I assume?" He asked and continued before she had a chance to answer. "I am Sean Walker from the immigration office. You came to America from Canada five years ago, correct? Are you aware that your visa expired two weeks ago?"

Up until now Kate had only been able to sit and stare at him, but now she drew a shaky breath. "I am aware of that, yes, but I felt that I didn't have the time to take care of it since I spend most of my time working."

Tortorella seemed surprised at her confession. "Why didn't you tell anyone? We would've given you the time you needed. As you said, you spend most of your time working, you've never taken out any free days and you always do a great job."

Katherine could only do her best to meet his gaze before turning back to Walker, mind racing on full speed. "But I can't go back to Canada."

"Your work is no excuse for avoiding deportation, miss Montgomery." Mr Walker seemed both annoyed and bored as he looked at her down his nose.

"It's not because of my job. I- I'm getting married." That was of course a lie. She didn't even have a boyfriend, but she was feeling pretty desperate right about now.

"You are?"

"You are?"

The question was asked twice. Once shocked and once doubting. Guess who was doubting her words.

"To whom then?" The tone of Walker's voice only managed to piss her off and Kate was determined to prove him wrong. But who the hell was she going to marry?
Right at that moment there was a knock on the office door and the dark haired head of Brian Boyle looked inside.

"Sorry, Coach. I thought-" Brian's excuse was cut off by Kate.

"Brian," she stood up and waved him inside. Wondering just what the hell was going on, he slowly entered the room and closed the door behind himself. Carefully he approached the redhead who, when he was close enough, grabbed his arm and yanked him closer, lacing her thin arm through his. Standing on her tiptoes and tilting her head back, she leaned up as if she was going to kiss his cheek and without moving her lips she whispered: "If you know what's good for you and your career, you'll go along with this."

Kate returned the heels of her shoes to the ground and looked back at the two other men in the room. Walker cleared his throat and repeated himself. "As I said, who are you marrying?"

"And as I said, I'm engaged to Brian."

Said man looked down at her, dark eyebrows furrowed and mouth ready to argue, but Kate's words continued running through his head, so he kept his mouth shut. The hockey coach stared between the two, seemingly unable to believe his own ears.

"Wha- Why didn't I know about this?"

Katherine discreetly elbowed Brian in the side and he flinched slightly before opening his mouth and lying his ass off. "We wanted to keep it to ourselves for a while. Keep it out of the papers, you know."

Tortorella's eyebrows stayed high up on his forehead while Walker only looked sceptical.

"How come I don't believe you?"

Katherine rolled her green eyes and sighed. "I'm sure you wouldn't believe it even if we were to get married right here and now. But that will not be the case, we still haven't planned too much yet. Though that will change this this coming week. Since the Rangers doesn't have any games, Brian and I are going up to Hingham for his parents' wedding anniversary."

Once again Brian looked down at her, surprised that she'd remembered him talking about it a few weeks ago. Walker though still sounded suspicious as he said: "Is that so?"

"Yeah, we've been planning it for a few weeks." To Kate's delight, Brian was going along with her plan and she knew that she had a lot to explain later on.
______________

It took a little convincing, but they were finally able to leave Tortorella's office and Katherine dragged Brian towards her own. He didn't struggle of course, otherwise she wouldn't have been able to move him. Brian had to admit that he was pretty pissed and pretty confused, and he knew that he would have follow her to get some answers.

Kate looked up and down the corridor, didn't see anyone and pushed him inside.

"Do you mind telling me what the fuck is going on?!"

Instead of answering, Kate hurried to her desk and started rifling through one of the drawers.

"Hey!" Brian tried to get her attention, which succeded, but only earned him a glare before Kate continued to ignore him. It didn't take long before she closed the drawer again, now holding a file in her hand.

"You see this? This is the reason you're going to help me." Kate waved it in front of him, and Brian snatched it out of her grasp.

"What is this?"

"It's your file. But what I'm talking about is the first page you'll find."

Curious, Brian flipped the file open, his eyes widening.

"Remember that night? Of that's right, you don't. You're usually not a guy to get himself in trouble. Compared to a certain Blackhawk basically all of you are angels. But this happened to be on DZ's twenty-first birthday. He got into a little trouble and you fought it out for him. While drunk as hell." Kate was walking around him in a circle now.
"That resulted in a file for assault from the guy you kicked the crap out of for punching Michael. I found out the truth from some of the other guys on the team and managed to talk them out of completing the case and ever since I've kept this out of the papers. You're welcome."
♠ ♠ ♠
There are basically no Boyler stories on this site so I decided to make one myself. Leave a comment about what you think and I'll write both this and Blue Eyes Don't Lie.

Title credit: Underdog - You Me At Six.

(BTW, since this is fanfiction what I don't know and what doesn't exist, like Kate's blackmail material, I make up on my own. Just to clear things up.)