Status: Please give me your honest opinion :)

Diamond in the Rough

Diamond In The Rough

This bar isn't the normal kind of bar he would drink in or even suggest going to, even drunk. The people around him dress and act like they are better than him, looking down their noses like he's something they've trodden into the carpets.
Calmly, he sips his beer and checks his cell. Jem feels uncomfortable, on edge and on trial. These people don't know him, yet they are judging him for the way he talks ands dresses.

A wave of relief sweeps over him when Fiona walks through the door, her coat open revealing a curvaceous body. His mouth is suddenly dry. She smells of violets and soap. At least he knows she is clean.

"Hi. Sorry I'm late" she apologises and asks the waitress to bring over two beers. She tells him that she was getting ready to unpack some of her boxes when he sent the message and she tells him how grateful she is to put it off for another day.

"So, what's it like working for the enemy when you grew up here?" Jem asks as he drains his third beer.

Fiona looks at him and laughs, but realises he is asking a serious question.

"Its strange. I'm probably the most hated person in Charlestown right now. It's strange seeing the names of people I heard of growing up, committing whatever crime and having to interview them."

"Tough deal, huh"

"Very tough" Fiona agrees"Anyway, enough about me. What's your day job?"

If Jem said bank robber he would be walking out of the bar in cuffs, not sitting here listening to this
beautiful woman.

"I don't work. With my record no one would employ my sorry ass. I get by with an odd job here and there. Nothing big" Jem replies.

Fiona mentally kicks herself. She had forgotten that Jem is a convicted felon.

"I'm sorry, I should have realised that-"

"That I'm a sack of shit?" He laughs"Sure"

Fiona shakes her head.

"We all got pasts." He continues "Can't run from it cause it'll catch up"

"I don't believe you're a sack of shit, Jem. You've done your time and you're allowed to have a second chance at life"

He looks up at her, his grey-blue eyes searching hers. She's being genuine, he can see that in her eyes and the way she talks.

"You need to give yourself some credit. Sure, you've had it rough, but isn't that a reason to fight back?"

She takes a long drink of her beer and casts a glance over her shoulder. The barman is watching Jem like a hawk. He obviously thinks the local lad is going to cause some sort of trouble or scene, bringing the bar's reputation into dispute.

"I didn't think you'd come" Jem admits.

"Why's that?"

"Guy like me talkin' to a girl like you. It doesn't happen" Jem replies with a shrug of his shoulders.

He never thought in a million years that she would willingly hand him her number or even agree to a drink.

"Why shouldn't it?" She asks"It's been nice just sitting and talking to someone. Nothing work related" she says finally. Now she is starting to relax, but she notices that Jem is wound up like a spring ready to pop.

"I guess you will be working that robbery thing" Jem says out of the blue.

"It's still an ongoing investigation. I won't have any part in it until the people involved are arrested and waiting for court." Fiona answers, thinking back to those long days where she spent most of her time in court, learning the ways while her mentor acted as the prosecution.

"Sounds like a tough break. What made you want to be a lawyer anyway?" Jem asks.

"I wanted people to be punished for their crimes. Everyone deserves justice."

He nods silently. In a round about way she is absolutely right, but he would rather take matters into his own hands than allow some stranger to dish it out.

"So how come you up and left with so much as a goodbye?" Jem asks, his tone serious and perhaps slightly hurt. "We used to be close"

Fiona sighs and feels terrible about the past, but the decision had been taken out of her hands. She remembers writing in her diary that if he asked her out she would say yes.

"My parents."She explains. "They didn't want me getting messed up in your reputation."

He nods.

"Wise choice" he mumbles. He isn't exactly proud of his past, but his destiny had been set out before him."Your folks would have a heart attack if they knew you were here. With me"

"They probably would" she agrees. She notices how quiet he's got all of a sudden and how his mood has suddenly changed. "But I'm here"

They walk at a leisurely pace, his hands jammed into his pockets as she talks about their childhoods and how much she missed growing up in her home town. He knows it was because of him why she had moved away. He guesses it was the small price to pay for knowing him, having to look over your shoulder all the time to see whose watching.

Jem notices that Fiona lives in a nicer part of town, the old town houses decorated and showing off their beauty. Nothing like the triple-decker house he shares with Doug and Krista.

"Thank you for walking me over here." She says on the top step.

"It's cool" he replies.

"Thank you" she says again and gently kisses his cheek. Never once had she seen someone go so red.

He flashes her a wide smile.

"Can we do this again?" He asks and wishes he hadn't.

"I would like that"