Status: Please give me your honest opinion :)

Diamond in the Rough

Diamond In The Rough

The news of the second robbery committed by the same team has spread like wildfire through Charlestown. Agent Frawley from the FBI is personally appealing for any information on TV, but if anyone does know anything about the robberies they aren't making it known. The locals, if they knew anything wouldn't risk coming forward with information because they knew it would be the last thing they ever did. Instead they would keep their mouths shut and live to see another day.

Fiona shakes her head in disbelief at Agent Frawley's desperate attempt to gather information, using the local people and their fears as leverage. It's a stupid ploy to gain people's trust. She listens as the agent promises protection and a reward for any constructive information. It's definitely a stupid move. She turns off the TV and stands at her office window, looking down at the street below. She wishes she could just go home and put her feet up, but she has a case to prepare for court and for some reason her heart just isn't in it.
For days Fiona has tried to re-light that burning fire that had pushed her through law school, but the smouldering flames were quickly doused. Bill Waters, her boss, colleague and friend had pulled her aside and asked her if she was alright the day before yesterday. Of course she replied that she was fine, but he didn't believe her and suggested taking some time off. He told her that this job came with pressure and he didn't want her to become ill with stress. She had known Bill all of her life, a friend of her father's who had helped her talk her parents into sending her to law school, who gave her cases when she was still learning to prepare for court, even states away. He is the father figure she always wanted.
If she was ever to tell anyone about Jem, it would be Bill. He wouldn't judge her, but he would warn her to be careful. Not that she would get involved in anything illegal, but he didn't want to have to wipe her tears after another bad break-up.

****

Jem's idea of a lunch date was sitting in a packed fast food restaurant, chowing down a large burger meal with a strawberry milk shake. Fiona on the other hand had other ideas.
He fidgets with the gold cross around his neck, leaning on his folded elbows. His eyes scan the room, a serious look on his face. He isn't dressed for this kind of venue, a little Italian deli where men in suits drink designer coffee and conduct business deals on their phones and laptops.

"Relax, will you" Fiona flashes him a reassuring smile.

"It's like a court room in here" he looks over his shoulder.

"This is me trying to sophisticate you by the way."

He raises his eyebrow, his sunglasses parched on top of his head.

"Does it look like I need sophistication?" He laughs and reaches for his bottle of beer.

Fiona grins at him as he feels her foot travelling up his leg, brushing against the inside of his thigh and resting on his crotch. He looks around to see if anyone has noticed and is glad they haven't.

"What are you doin?" He whispers to her.

"Nothing" she replies with a smirk.

She grinds her foot against him and watches him as a breath catches in his throat.

"You wanna give me a hard on. Here?" His mouth falls open as she massages him with her foot.

She leans across the table with a smirk.

"Just wait until I get you home"

"Let's fuckin go!" He replies with a grin. He grabs her hand and practically drags her into the street. She has to power walk to keep up with his stride.

They are at his car when someone shouts out his name. A tall, lean guy with short black hair confidently walks over, embracing Jem in a hug.
The two men trade an insult and a few words before Doug looks at Fiona. Getting the hint, Jem grins.

"Dougy, this is Fiona. Fiona, this is my brother right here"

"Hi" Doug says extending his hand. She doesn't need to ask how they know each other because she already knows.

"Hello" she replies."I'll leave you boys to it." She kisses Jem on the lips and walks back across the street. Jem's eyes follow her, lusting.
Doug laughs.

"New girlfriend?" He asks, trying to disguise his surprise. Jem didn't date girls. He fucked them and moved on.

"Yeah, so?" The smaller man replies defensively.

"Nothing" Doug shakes his head."You do realise you're playing with fire though, right?"

Jem looks at him.

"She works for the DA, Jem. Do you want your ass back in Walpole?"

"Like you're so motherfucking perfect. I'm not the one whose fuckin the witness, am I?" Jem scoffs.

"What if she hears something on the grapevine? Then what you gonna do?"

"She doesn't know shit. I'm in the clear." Jem replies confidently."Where the fuck you goin anyway?"

Doug nods and looks around the street.

"Over to Claire's?" Jem sneers "She's gonna have all our asses in the chair before we know it. She's gonna twig" he taps his temple.

"She won't." Doug says simply "You happy to see me or something?"

Jem follows Doug's gaze down to his crotch and tells him politely to fuck off. When Fiona returns she feels the strange vibe between the two men.

"If he's ever any trouble call me" Doug says and hands her his number on a piece of paper. Jem glares at Doug as he walks down the street. Fiona can't work out what's just happened

***

Jem lazily blows out a stream of smoke and happily accepts a beer from Gloansy, both celebrating.

"Where the fuck is Des, man?"
Gloansy says loudly over the music, draining his beer in two gulps. He's got cash to spend and he isn't planning on going home until he's so drunk he can't see straight.

"Des wimped out. Said somethin' about takin his ma out" Jem replies and orders another round of beers.

"And Doug?"

Jem licks his lips greedily and sets down the empty bottle, picking up the whisky and downing it. He grimaces at the sharp taste, not his usual brand.

"AA meeting" he says "Fuckin pussy whipped is what he is"

"Amen to that" Gloansy and Jem raise their bottles. It hasn't gone unnoticed that Doug is becoming more and more absent the longer
he is sober.

The girl behind the bar struggles to keep up with their persistent orders, the other customers shouting at her for their drinks. Jem shoots them a mean look and hands over a fifty, telling the girl to keep the change. She's pretty, a nice ass with big tits, but he's involved with someone. But that doesn't mean he can't look.

Jem walks down the street smoking and slightly buzzed from the alcohol. They had left the bar at closing time and parted their ways, Gloansy living in the opposite direction. He walks at a leisurely pace, not in a hurry to go anywhere. He flicks his cigarette into the gutter and turns the corner, suddenly feeling something crack over his head. It takes about twenty seconds for him to realise what's going on.

He tries to move but both of his arms are restrained. A hard punch in the stomach knocks the air from his lungs, he groans and looks up at the person in front. Even drunk he
would recognise this guy anywhere.

"Alex, how's the legs?" Jem laughs loudly.

"You fuck with me and you're fucked"

In a frenzy of fists, feet and metal poles, Jem is on the ground and being beaten viciously. The four men set about him like a pack of wild animals, cursing and beating like their lives depend on it.
Jem can feel his nose and lip burst open as a foot connects with his face, his skull on fire as a metal pole cracks down for the fifth time. He tries to get up to defend himself, but he's beaten harder.

The metal poles savagely bounce off his ribs and chest, making it harder to breathe. His mouth is filled with blood and maybe a few loose teeth. He is kicked repeatedly in the head, punched in the ribs and smacked with the poles.
The four men run off and leave Jem's unconscious body on the sidewalk.
♠ ♠ ♠
How is everyone liking this?