Status: Please give me your honest opinion :)

Diamond in the Rough

Diamond In The Rough

Fiona had spent her sleepless night packing up the few items that belonged to Jem in a cardboard box. She had folded his t-shirts and pants, holding them close as his scent attacked her nose, the smoky and spicy smell that made her go weak at the knees. She misses him and feels slightly lost without him. She hadn't realised how much he actually meant to her until he was gone.

Fiona tries to remain calm as she knocks on the door. It wouldn't surprise her if Krista eventually got sick of calling round unexpected and slammed the door in her face. After sending that message last night she had felt so low it felt like it was impossible to move forward. It meant it was finally goodbye.

"What?" Krista barks as she swings open the door, her daughter in her arms."Oh, it's you. Jem ain't here"

"It doesn't matter if he's here." Fiona feel her mouth going dry."I just brought back his things"

Krista nods and starts to bounce the unsettled baby.

"You look the smart type" Krista pushes her lips together. "What you hanging 'round him for?"

The question knocks her off balance.

"I'm crazy about him." Fiona sighs."Just tell me one thing, please"

"Sure"

"Just tell me he's alright" Fiona chews on her bottom lip. She's been worried sick about him and never seemed to find out.

"He's good" Krista replies and shoves the box inside the door with her foot. "Our Jem always is"

****

They stroll hand in hand through the park like an old married couple, taking in the flowers and the kids who whizzed by them on bikes.

"I still can't believe you quit your job at the bank" Doug says, rubbing his thumb over her own.

"I didn't feel safe there. Even if I transferred to another post I would always fear there would be another robbery"

"What are you going to do?" He asks.

"I don't know" Claire laughs"I have some money so I'll just live off that for a while until I plan what I want to do. It's so crazy, but meeting you has just made me feel better about it."

Doug nods silently, guilty.

"Have you told your parents?"

Claire sighs. She had been hoping to completely avoid the subject of her parents and how they had reacted to her news.

"They tried to talk me out of it and dad said he was disappointed."

Doug remembers her telling him how her father had pretty much forced her into the business, his own aspirations forced onto his daughter.

"It's just a job. You'll find something you really want to do" he replies and kisses her hand.

They continue walking, taking a short-cut around the pond. It's a gorgeous day, warm and sunny.
They stop to kiss, a passionate embrace that everyone ignores. To everyone around them they are lovers, happy and content, just enjoying their day.

"Why don't we go away?" Doug suggests."We could go anywhere you want"

"A vacation would be nice" Claire agrees.

"I'm not talking about a vacation" Doug says softly.

"You mean leave Charlestown?"She asks"For good?"

"Why not?" He smiles"Nothing's keeping us here. You can find another job and I'll find something"

Claire mulls over the idea. It's a big step.

"It sounds great, but where would we go?"

"Anywhere" he replies as they walk towards the seating area where a vendor sells ice-cream's and drinks."We can go wherever we want. We can travel the world. Go anywhere we want, not answering to no one but ourselves"

"That sounds great. We better head back to the car or I'm going to be late for my hair appointment"

They start walking again and Doug suddenly stops. Claire wonders if he's seen one of the friend's he had been trying to avoid, part of the reason for wanting a clean break.

"Doug?" She's concerned.

"Sorry." He says "That's the girl Jem's been seeing. He just up and left, didn't call. Nothing"

"I'm sorry but Jem sounds like an ass" Claire states.

"She's been a good influence on him. I dunno what happened"

"Go talk to her and I'll see you tonight" she kisses his cheek and says goodbye, taking the pathway back to her car.

"Hi" Doug says, scooting a cup of coffee over to her"You look like you could use this"

"Thanks" Fiona replies quietly.

"Mind if I sit?" She shakes her head. Doug stirs sugar into his coffee and wonders how to bring up Jem without causing her any distressed.

"You remember who I am, right?" He asks, a small smile on his lips.

"Yes. Sorry. You're Jem's friend"
Even saying his name hurt like hell.

"Guess someone's got to have that misfortune" Doug says."Have you heard from him?"

Fiona let's out a frustrated sigh. She had come here to clear her mind, to try and erase Jem from existence, but here is his friend talking to her about him.

"Not since he walked out of my apartment. I've tried calling him a few times and he doesn't return my calls." Fiona replies, hurt."I gave his things to his sister. He's okay, apparently."

Doug nods and let's her speak.

"I just wish I knew for certain what's going on with them. Has he said anything to you?"

"He's upset over something. I thought you were the one who finished things" Doug admits.

"Is that what he said?"

"He didn't say very much. Then again he never does. I thought with all the drugs and booze you had maybe seen the light"

Fiona takes a sip of her coffee.

"He's in a bad way. That's why I figured you had ended things with him"

"How bad?" She looks at him, worried.

"Put it this way..he's never sober. He's high all the time and doesn't know which day of the week it is."

"Oh god" Fiona moans

"What happened between you two anyway? He's telling me nothing"

"We had an argument. Not really an argument, but I think there's more to Jem than everyone realises" Fiona treads carefully around Jem's past.

"What kind of things?"

"Low self-esteem being one of them. Turmoil." Fiona answers.

"You know something I don't."Doug clicks"What's happened?"

"I can't tell you, Doug. I made a promise"

"Fuck the promise. You want to help him you need to tell me. Alright?"

Fiona nods, her eyes glassy.

"Something happened to him in Walpole"

"I know. He got into fights just like I did" Doug adds.

"It wasn't a fight"

"Then what was it?" He asks. He can see that whatever is up with Jem is seriously troubling her, weighing her down like a lead weight.

"Something bad, Doug. Something most people can't come back from"
♠ ♠ ♠
Need comments if you want the next chapter.