Status: Please give me your honest opinion :)

Diamond in the Rough

Diamond In The Rough

Fiona lifts the plate of untouched food and scrapes it into the trash can, her lips pursed together. She is supposed to be at work preparing for that case, but here she is babysitting Jem so he won't do anything stupid. In tears he had admitted he had tried to kill himself before, mostly through large concoctions of drugs and alcohol, but he told her a second didn't go by when he didn't think about eating his gun. Despite her position in th DA's office, she took the gun from him and vowed she would do what she could to help him.

Jem watches her as she loads the plates into the sink. He feels like an asshole for being this burden to her, a problem. He loves her and doesn't want to be without her, but seeing her look so deflated and miserable hurts him.

Jem steps close behind her and wraps his strong, muscular arms around her, his chin resting on her shoulder.

"You don't need to stay" he says softly.

Fiona places her hands on top of his and let's out a barely audible sigh as he kisses that spot behind her ear, his stubble scratching at her skin.

"I want to" she replies, leaning back against him. Fiona closes her eyes as she listens to his breathing and his beating heart, feeling completely relaxed.

"But you know you don't have to"

Fiona can feel his lips smiling against her skin and she's tempted to make that decision to leave, but being held like this makes her want to stay. He always makes her feel like that. She kisses him softly and deeply, dominating him with her tongue. He moans at the touch and grabs hold of her hips. Jem had never really been into kissing, but maybe that was because he didn't do the whole "boyfriend, girlfriend" thing. But when Fiona kisses him his mind went totally blank.
His hand tangles in her hair, pulling her head back so he can kiss her throat, sucking and nipping with his teeth.

Fiona shifts uncomfortably, sighing with frustration as Jem's cell rings.

"Shit" he groans and looks at the caller display."Two seconds"

Fiona stays in his lap as he answers.

"Hey. What's up, Gloansy? Tonight? Shit. I can't do tonight. Nah, I got something on."

Fiona grabs his cell and listens to Gloansy as he goes on about a poker game at his place.

"He'll be there. I'll make sure of it"

****

Jem deals out the cards to Gloansy and Des, a cigarette dangling from his mouth. The atmosphere is smoky and the beer is flowing, music playing in the background. Jem had been reluctant to go, especially when alcohol would be there to tempt him. Fiona had made a deal with Jem. He could go and play poker all night if he wanted to, and so he didn't feel completely left out she bought him a six pack of beer. He promised he wouldn't drink any more than the six and she hoped he would stick to it. He knows it's a test, if he can resist getting so shitfaced.

Jem grabs one of his beers from the fridge and turns to see Gloansy standing in the doorway of the kitchen. He's a little surprised and knows something is on the big guy's mind, his expression troubled.

"What's up?" Jem asks, popping the cap off his beer. He takes a sip, not his usual half a bottle in one gulp.

Gloansy rubs the back of his neck and taps out two cigarettes, handing one to Jem.

"You okay? You've been weird all night"

"I'm good" Jem replies, shaking his head. He knows himself he's being distant.

"Horseshit" Gloansy scoffs. He's not buying it."You've been weird since you got out."

"The Town's fucked up,man." Jem replies with a shrug of his shoulders."Piece of shit town"

"Sure" Gloansy mumbles.

"Gloans, if you've got something to say go a fucking head" Jem says impatiently."Then maybe we can go back to playing fucking cards"

Jem is pissed off and walking back into the sitting room, but feels Gloansy pulling on his arm.

"I know what happened" he says quietly.

Jem looks at him with questioning eyes, the corner of his mouth turned up.

"In Walpole. Doug told me"

Jem's eyes harden instantly, glaring at his friend.

"I don't need your fucking pity"

*****

The insistent hammering on his bedroom door shakes him violently from sleep. Dressed in his boxers, he pulls a t-shirt, half expecting Krista to be propped against the door frame. He had installed the lock when he had found Krista taking money from his wallet during the days he tried so hard to forget.

Doug pulls the dead-bolt back and turns the key, dreading another encounter from his former girlfriend. He opens the door ready for the worst.

"Krista-"

Doug feels a fist slamming into his mouth and falls back to the floor, another punch as he is pinned to the floor. Jem is on top of him, red-faced and sweating.

"Jem!" Doug cries out, shielding his face as Jem's fists connect with his eye.

"You motherfucker!" Jem screams."You two faced son of a bitch. You fucker!"

Doug uses all of his strength to push his friend off. Bloody mouthed, he touches his lip. Jem paces, his jaw clenched tightly and his knuckles white.

"You opened your big fuckin' mouth. They fuckin' know what happened. Motherfucker!" Jem spits out violently."Fuck!"

"They had a right to know, Jem"

"The fuck they did" He answers quickly.

"We're a team. They had a right to know. You've been getting fucked up ever since you got out and your head needs to be in the game" Doug explains, raising his voice over Jem's frantic pacing, balling his fists and releasing them.

"Is this how you pay me back,Dougy? By telling every motherfucker that I was some meat-head's bitch in prison" Jem snaps.

"I don't owe you anything"

Jem scoffs loudly, an insane rumble of rusty laughter.

"Tell me what I owe you" Doug snaps. He's not in the mood for games, especially after being punched and knocked to the floor.

"You owe me nine years"

Doug's face shows his confusion.

"What the hell are you talking about?"

Jem rubs his clenched fist.

"I got sent to Walpole 'cause some motherfucker was sent to take you out."

Doug stares at him.

"But I found him first and the asshole begged to walk away and I couldn't let him do it, Doug. I couldn't let him find you 'cause he would have killed your sorry ass" Jem rants, breathless and angry.
"You think I wanted to bury my brother?"

"I didn't know. But why would someone want to kill me?" Doug asks. He still hasn't been told that little crystal of information.

"'Cause your old man pissed off the wrong people" Jem's voice is low."Fuck. This is gonna be all over the goddamn town and I've got you to thank for it. It's fucked. It's all fucked!"
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh dear...