Status: Please give me your honest opinion :)

Diamond in the Rough

Diamond In The Rough

The disturbing news of another robbery made the front page and the regular appeals for information was broadcasted every hour. Like the previous robberies, the appeals fell on deaf ears. This time a cinema had been robbed and like always, the masked crooks made good their escape. The robbery would seriously impact the entertainment industry when parents didn't feel that the local cinema would be a safe environment for their kids. But after a few weeks everyone would slip back into their routines like they usually did when disaster struck, more commonly criminal activities which everyone was more or less used to. The Town, like always, would continue like it always had done.

Doug glances over his shoulder at the doorway as Gloansy and Des make a toast, spilling beer over the table. He isn't in the mood for celebrating, especially since Jem doesn't seem to be around. The last time they spoke had been when Jem told him where his stash of money would be, not sticking around long enough to hold a conversation.

Even during the robbery it didn't go unnoticed that Jem's mind was somewhere else and that made the job more dangerous. Doug debates calling Jem, inviting him down to celebrate, but the last thing he needed was a drunk and paranoid Jem.

"Here's our fucking amigo!" Gloansy slurs, raising a beer into the air.

Doug doesn't turn around and takes a long sip of his coke. Jem goes straight to the bar and grabs a beer before sitting down next to Des.

He doesn't acknowledge Doug, still angry.

"Let's get this party fuckin' started" Des slaps his hand on the table and practically races Gloansy to the overcrowded bar. Doug senses it's their way of forcing him and Jem to talk.

"How you doing?" Doug says, biting the bullet and starting a conversation.

"Good" he mumbles as he drains his beer. His blue-green eyes scan the yellow bruising around his friend's eye. For once, he feels bad.

"How's Fiona?"

"Good" Jem grumbles.

Something is weighing heavy on his mind. Jem never took anything seriously, so it surprises Doug how involved he's got with Fiona.

"I shouldn't have said anything"
Doug says apologetically. "I thought I was doing the right thing. We have your back."

Jem shrugs his shoulders.

"I appreciate what you done for me"

Jem looks at him, his features softening slightly, particularly his hard stare.

"That's what brothers do" he replies."Come on, I need some fucking air"

Jem gets up to leave and Doug follows. Whatever the smaller man has to say doesn't involve Gloansy or Des or anyone else in the bar.
Jem lights up a cigarette and sucks awkwardly on his bottom lip. Doug looks around the abandoned street, checking the parked cars for tails.

"You still leavin?" Jem asks, watching the smoke curl.

"Yeah" Doug replies quietly.

"Clean break?"

Doug nods and Jem looks at the ground. He isn't sure why he's been dragged outside.

"You'll miss me like a motherfucker"

Doug chuckles slightly. He will miss him because Jem has always been there, covering his back.
Jem fumbles in his pocket and hands something to Doug, a box.
He opens it with curiosity and sees a diamond ring.

"Is this what I think it is?" He asks.

"Straight up" Jem grins."Don't tell the boys and this time I fuckin' mean it."

"Not a word" Doug replies, a vocal agreement.

"Good." Jem grins and pauses."If she'll marry me I'll need someone to be my best man"

"You're asking me after what I did?" Doug asks, shoving his hands deep into his pockets.

"I want you there"Jem answers quietly."You're my brother, right?"

"Does this mean we're cool?"

"Sure. Come on, let's celebrate."Jem laughs clapping a hand on Doug's shoulder."I need a drink"

Jem and Doug walk back into the main bar, laughing and joking just like old times. As they re-enter the smoky and busy bar, a stony silence greets them. Everyone is looking at them like they are martians from another planet. Des looks down at the floor, sheepishly. He and Gloansy are wasted on drink.

"Jem-"Doug says softly, feeling just as awkward. He can tell by the stunned, pitiful faces that they all know and Des has opened his mouth.

Jem scans their faces and glares at Des, who is trying to apologise, saying it just slipped out.
Jem turns and quickly walks out onto the street, shamed and embarrassed. As soon as his feet hit the pavement he breaks into a run.

No one was ever supposed to know and now everyone does.