Status: Please give me your honest opinion :)

Diamond in the Rough

Diamond In The Rough

In the months Fiona had worked at the district attorney's office very rarely was she asked to see Bill Waters in his office. Fiona knocks on his office door and settles in one of the seats in front of his desk, business as usual.

"Fiona, I'm sorry for asking you to come in so early" He says softly."There's something I need to discuss with you"

"It's fine" she replies.

"Are there any changes in your personal circumstances?" He asks warily.

Bill Waters isn't normally the kind of man to beat around the bush and earned that reputation in court. With shocking white hair and a matching goatee, a pot belly hanging over the edge of his pants he is a dead ringer for father christmas.

"No" Fiona replies, feeling uneasy about lying to the man she owes everything to. She double checks that she had removed her engagement ring.

"There's been a change in you,Fiona. I can't help but wonder whether you are romantically involved with someone or you are having difficulties here"

She doesn't like either suggestion.

"I'm not with anyone" Fiona replies and she can tell by the look on Bill's face that he doesn't believe her.

"Fiona, I know about Jem Coughlin"

"Bill, I can explain" Fiona pleads.

"What's there to explain?" He asks."You met the guy and fell for him. But there's something you need to know."

"I was expecting to be dismissed because of his record"

"Nonsense. Believe it or not, the characters of this town are part of the brickwork. Men like Doug MacRay, Jem Coughlin and Fergie the Florist. This town was built on crime, the poor stealing from the rich. It's the same with these robberies" Bill says evenly.

"The sooner they are caught the better" Fiona answers, trying to regain a focus.

"The better?" He asks."You want to see Jem gunned down? Cause he won't go back to Walpole"

"Jem's got something to do with this?" Fiona asks quickly, confused.

"Yes, Fiona."

"How do you know?" She asks.

Bill licks his lips and gives her a small smile.

"'Cause I know him. I owe him a few favours and this is why I'm telling you this for two reasons. Jem has connections, me. I knew his daddy and promised I would do what I could for him. That time is now"

"I don't understand" Fiona shakes her head.

"Fergus the florist is setting Coughlin and MacRay up. The FBI don't know for certain whose involved in the robberies but they struck a deal with the flower man."

Bill slides a cassette over the top of the table.

"You need to tell them to abort this job, Fiona"

******

Listening to the tape between Fergus Colm and FBI Agent Adam Frawley hadn't been pleasant. Tears had stung her eyes as she fought for composure in Bill's office. Sympathetically, he had told her what she already knew she would need to do and crossing that line between legal and illegal. Fergus Colm hadn't said who is working for him, but he assures the agent that the team will stop by at a nearby derelict building for the drop off. The reason for Colm's sudden change of heart is that all the dirt on him comes to the surface and instead of taking responsibility for his own crimes, he's going to hand over these bank robbers instead.

Fiona knocks on the door of the old house and waits, checking over her shoulder nervously. She half expects a volatile Krista to answer, but instead Doug does and he looks surprised.

"Doug, we need to talk"

He mulls it over for a split second and invites her in, offering tea and coffee or water. He looks stressed and Fiona knows why.

"It's about these robberies" She says and Doug gives her a blank look."I know you and Jem are involved"

Doug's eyes go wide, his mouth open slightly as the shock sinks in.

"How do you know?"

"It seems you and Jem are very well thought of in certain circles. I was told so I could tell you to not to rob Fenway" Fiona answers,trying to keep her tone level.

"It's not that simple to walk away from it."

"Believe me I know" Fiona says quietly and continues."The truth is your team is being set up. Fergus Colm is willing to hand you over to the FBI for immunity."

"If the feds have us pegged as suspects, why haven't they arrested us?"

"Because they don't have any evidence. Just theories on who is behind this. Once you were at the drop off point, Frawley and his team would move in." Fiona replies.

Doug rubs his face, the slight stubble over his cheeks grazing the palms of his hands.

"Why are you telling me this?" He asks."Why not just let us make the drop-off and see our asses in court?"

Fiona flinches at his harsh tone.

"I'm telling you because I've been instructed to"

"And you just do it? No questions asked" Doug points out."Jesus"

"I'm not happy with being put in this position, Doug. You're criminals who have broken the law-"

"And what about Jem?"Doug cuts in abruptly."Is he just another criminal to you now? Now that you know what he's doing?"

"I love Jem."She argues."But that doesn't mean I agree with his actions."

"Fair enough, but you should at least know why he's so eager for this job"

"Other than the money?" Fiona asks sarcastically.

"Yeah, other than the money. The pay out is huge and any idiot knows that. The reason he is doing this is 'cause he's crazy about you. He's doing this 'cause he doesn't want to do it anymore. Finally, he's settling down"

"I'm happy that he feels that way, but he's looking at life in prison, Doug"

He shakes his head.

"He won't go back to Walpole. Jem's always said he won't ever go back there no matter what he does, Fiona. He says he'll hold court in the street before they catch him and you know what that means"
♠ ♠ ♠
OH DEAR!!!!!!!!