Status: Please give me your honest opinion :)

Diamond in the Rough

Diamond In The Rough

Fiona paces the floorspace of her living room, checking her cell-phone constantly as the local news channel blares in the background. It feels as if time has completely stopped. Every minute feels like an hour and every hour feels like a lifetime. She stops and stares at the television every time the news program changes. It's just another broadcast, the news anchorman standing outside Fenway park, telling the whole state that the stadium is completely packed and every fan is cheering for their team.

"Fiona?"

She turns around quickly to see him standing there in the doorway, dressed in dark clothing.

"Oh God, Jem" She cries, practically jumping into his arms. She cries into his chest, her hands bunching up in the back off his t-shirt."I thought you..."

"You thought I what?" He asks softly."You thought I what?"

"I thought you had done the job" She wails."I thought I was going to lose you"

"I told you I wasn't going anywhere and I still ain't" Jem hugs her tighter."It's over. It's over"

***
TWO MONTHS LATER

She smooths down the material of her suit jacket and takes a deep breath as she sets her briefcase down on the floor. She should have been in court, but the accused had changed his plea to guilty and you were no longer required and gave the case to a less experience lawyer.

"Are you sure this is what you want to do?" Bill Waters asks.

"I'm absolutely sure." Fiona replies."I've never been sure of anything else other than-"

"I understand, Fiona. It's a damn shame to lose you, but I can tell this is what you really want." Regret is in his voice.

"Thank you, Bill. For everything."

"If there's anything I can do, call me. It doesn't matter what it is, just
call."

Fiona steps out of Bill's office and knows instantly that resigning had been the right choice. She realised in the hours after Jem's return that she could no longer prosecute anyone when the man she loved had done worse. He didn't tell her what he had done, but she had heard stories. Fiona simply didn't want to live as a hypocrite and decided that the love she has for Jem could be enough to save him from himself. She certainly hopes so.