Status: Please give me your honest opinion :)

Diamond in the Rough

Diamond In The Rough

He runs his finger nervously around the material of his collar, stretching it out as beads of sweat trickle down his neck and back. A ball of anxiety sits like a lead balloon in his stomach and he feels sick, dizzy and agitated. He licks his dry lips and checks the gold Rolex watch on his wrist.

"Calm down will you" Doug says softly as he straightens Jem's tie."You're gonna give yourself a heart attack"

"I'm just so fuckin' nervous" Jem replies, wiping his sweaty forehead with the back of his hand.

"Stop swearing. You can't swear in church" Doug reminds him as he pins the red rose to the lapel of Jem's dark suit.

"I look like an idiot"

"You're supposed to look like an idiot" Doug replies, stifling a giggle."It's your wedding day"

Jem let's out a shaky breath and runs his hand over his freshly shaved face, the soul patch and moustache still prominent.

"Do you have the rings?" He asks, panicked at the thought of not having them."I gave you them,right?"

Doug laughs as he adjusts the cuffs of his shirt underneath his blazer.

"I've got them, so stop freaking out"

Jem groans and fiddles with his collar again. He starts to pace and fidget, twisting the ring on his pinkie finger.

"You're making me nervous" Doug laughs. He's never seen Jem so worked up, not even before a job.

Doug stands at the window, watching for the wedding car that will take him and Jem to the church. Krista has already gone ahead which makes him feel a whole lot better.

He glances over at Jem who is perched on the edge of the sofa with his hands over his nose and mouth, his foot tapping to a rhythm in his head.

"Car's here" Doug announces.

"I'm gonna puke" Jem says shakily, the colour in his face draining as he runs to the kitchen sink. Doug can't help but laugh as Jem gags, coughing.

Jem feels Doug's hand on his shoulder,giving it a gentle squeeze as the traditional wedding march echoes in the small church. He swallows hard, looking up at the cross behind the pulpit and prays that she won't change her mind at the last minute. Dizzy, he turns to Fiona as she grasps his hand. She's smiling at him through a veil and his heart plummets to hell and back at the sight of her, dressed in a white gown with her hair back in some sort of clasp. With shaking hands he lifts the veil and smiles, both of their eyes meeting in a mutual adoration.

"You look beautiful" He whispers.

***

The service itself had been simple and elegant, the vows were extraordinarily beautiful since their words came straight from the heart. Everyone, including the so-called hard men like Gloansy and Doug had shed tears as they watched Jem nervously slip the white gold band onto Fiona's finger. Her parents refused to attend their daughter's wedding and even though she missed them, the important people who would remain in their lives were present.

Today is the very beginning of the rest of their lives.
♠ ♠ ♠
I am extremely sad to announce that this is the last chapter of the story, but the good thing is that it ended on such a happy note.

I would also just like to say, if you haven't seen the film don't expect what I've written to appear as it is clearly the product of an over-active imagination.

Again, a massive thank you to the readers and everyone who has commented, recommended to other readers and given advice. But sadly, all good things must come to an end.

If anyone wishes to give some detailed feedback, please don't hesitate to pop me a pm and if you want, suggest a new story and I'll see what I can do.

Thank you, again, you wonderful people.