Status: In Progress

Guiding Light

Chapter One

The drama studio was silent. Not a thing could be heard. The room was large with a section of chairs that rose as they went on, providing an audience. Curtains concealed half of the room in order to provide cover the entertainers to prepare and concealed the entrance and fire escape. There were only three lone students at the bottom, centre stage at a table clutching onto cards, staring at each other intently.

Two were female, one with long brown hair and blue eyes wearing black jeans, white shirt and a black Rage Against the Machine hooded top, the other had long wavy black hair with green highlights with green eyes wearing a long black skirt with white shirt and tie. The brown haired girl was of medium build, curves and stood at 5.5ft with large, black framed glasses perched on her nose. The black haired girl was slim and tall, standing two inches staller than the brown haired girl with a flawless faces.

The male had black hair, light black stubble around his face and matching green eyes with the black haired girl. He wore black trousers with a baggy white shirt untucked and loose tie around his neck. He was of a large stature, standing taller than both girls and much heavier.

The male took a card from his hand and placed it down with a cry.

“Black King!” He cried, smiling triumphantly as he looked over to the black haired girl. She smiled sympathetically to the brown haired girl.
“Sorry.” She placed down another black king. The suite was clubs. The brown haired girl looked at the male and placed down a two of clubs, watching as the smile disappeared and was replaced by shock.

“No…” he looked to the other girl who shrugged. “No…” he looked back to the brown haired girl who smiled.

“NO!” He screamed; his American accent thick.

“Oh stop being a baby John and pick up twelve cards!” said Jade, who was smiling at her twin brother’s misfortune, her accent also standing out.

“Why did you do that to me, Jules? How could you be so cruel?” He cried as he picked up the cards.

“Hey, I wasn’t going to pick up ten cards, I’m too close!” Julie ‘Jules’ said, presenting the two cards left in her hand. John continued to whine as he gathered his cards.

“Yeah, you with your two cards left! What about the rest of us!” Julie merely chuckled and motioned to Jade.

“Your turn Jade.” Jade nodded.

“Right, by the way, I heard you signed up for the tutoring program,” Jade commented as she placed a four of clubs. John looked at Julie in disbelief.

“What do you need a tutor for? Since when are you falling behind in class,” He asked.

“I’m not looking for a tutor, I am being a tutor. Last card,” She said as she placed another four down and changed the suite to spades. John looked through his cards before deciding on placing a pair of threes, the suite now became diamonds.

“How come you’re doing that?” He asked.

“Its money,” She said with a slight shrug. The tutor program allowed students with a good academic record to tutor other students that needed help in certain classes. They were paid by the parents of the student and it was a debatable price depending on how many classes they needed tutored in. Julie saw it as a way to earn extra money, if she was chosen of course.

“You are one of the more popular ones. Some of them, I don’t even understand why they thought they had a chance,” Jade commented as she placed down nine of diamonds. Jade knew this as she was the head of the student council and was very involved with school relations and projects. She took pride in her work and had much respect off students and teachers alike.

“Now, now no need to be rude,” John said as he watched Julie intensely, seeing what her next move was. She smiled and placed down her last card, five of diamonds, cheering as she did so.

“I win!” She cried in triumph as the other two groaned.

“Of course she wins!” John whined as he threw his cards to the table. John was always acting the drama queen, a fact he was proud of as his main talents laid in drama and musical theatre. Julie couldn’t help but feel a little sorry for John despite the fact he was willing to let her pick up ten cards. Jade laughed at his immaturity.

“Let it go. So, anyway, do you know who you are going to tutor yet?” She asked Julie. Julie replied with a shrug as she collected the fallen cards.

“No replies yet.” She hadn’t heard anything from the teachers or staff. Just that they would get in touch with her when someone selected her. That had been a week ago.

“It may take some time. You’ll find some parents are rather picky with who tutors their children. Some want the best as there are a few students that are failing badly and it may affect their educational outcome,” Jade explained. Julie nodded.

“Yeah, I know. I just hope I get someone who doesn’t hate me.” Julie had never been popular. In fact, she barely had any friends outside of John and Jade. She had a few acquaintances but nothing to go as far as calling someone her friend. She wasn’t hated; she just never talked to anyone outside with who she felt a little comfortable with thus no one talked to her…unless it was an insult from someone feeling a little frisky.

“Don’t worry, just tell me if anyone says anything and I’ll have them suspended,” Jade said with a grin. What scared Julie is Jade actually had that power and would have no problem doing so.

“Eh…that won’t be necessary,” Julie said with a smile, feeling nervous by the prospect of suspending someone.

“Nonsense, just give me a name and everything will be fine,” Jade continued.

“I like how we are planning suspension before she is even given a mind to mould yet,” John said, giving his limbs a stretch.

“Well, one must always be prepared,” Jade said, smiling at her brother. John shrugged.

“Yes, especially when planning to remove one from school,” He said with a laugh.

“But, like I said, I’m still waiting to get picked,” Julie said.

“I think you will be picked sooner than you think. I’m pretty sure a woman was interested in you tutoring their son,” Jade explained. John made a gasping sound and began clapping his hands rapidly.

“Oh, oh, oh! It’s like the beginning of a romance story,” He squeaked in a high pitched voice, marking that he was joking and mocking. “The boy who’s life lies on the line as he is about to fail school then Jules will sweep in and teach his uneducated mind!” Jade and Julie looked at each other in disbelief as he continued, seeing he was getting involved in his own story as his voice descended into a soft, warm tone.

“Then, once he passes, he will be eternally grateful to Jules, giving her a soft kiss on the lips before he departs…” John closed his eyes, a smile playing on his face while bewilderment consumed Jade and Julie.

“…what?” Julie finally asked. John pried an eye open and looked at Julie.

“Let me have this moment, okay,” He said before resuming his position. Julie didn’t press further, allowing the boy his moment so she looked to Jade.

“I worry about your brother.”

“You are not the only one. I think we gave him too much sugar today,” Jade said. Julie sniggered at the comment as John came back to his sense, giving the two girls a glance.

“It could happen, if not, then I claim copyright on the story. Could make a good love story for Musical Theatre,” He states, giving the two a broad smile. Julie and Jade glanced at each other before looking back to John, who kept grinning. Julie could feel herself smiling back. She couldn’t help it. John had that effect on her; in fact she would say he had that effect on everyone. He had such a positive and happy outlook on everything. Jade had a more serious tone to her personality. She was a realist, balancing John’s bubbly, cheerful outlook. It wasn’t a bad quality and it didn’t dampen her in the least. She knew how to have fun and enjoy herself; she just knew what time called for it.

The bell interrupted the trio, signalling the end of lunch and beginning of fifth period which meant Computer Networking for Julie.

“I better get a move on. I don’t want to be late and get all the crappy stuff,” Julie said as she put the cards into her bag, zipping it up as she stood from her seat and swinging the bag over her shoulder.

“I’ll come with you,” Jade said, gathering her things. Jade had French which was a level above Julie’s class meaning she could walk with Julie to class.

“And I’ll just stay here...alone...” John drew out. Drama was next on John’s schedule meaning he could just stay where he was. John was the main reason why they could use the drama studio to spend their lunch in; the teachers trusted him and didn’t mind him using the studio, believing that he was practicing during lunch. This was true the majority of the time.

“I’ll see you in Maths yeah?” Julie asked, prepared to leave and was now waiting on Jade. John shrugged.

“Got nowhere else to be and I’m sort of obligated to go so yes.”

“Couldn’t you have just said yes?” Jade asked. John smiled, giving his sister a wink.

“Oh but that would be too easy!” Jade gave a roll of her eyes before moving out.

“Let’s go.” Julie followed suit, shouting a bye and a wave to John before exiting the drama studio.

The wide, white hall began to flood with students wearing similar attire; white shirts with black jumpers, cardigans or nothing but the shirts and a blue and silver tie. Black trousers, skirts or jeans with black shoes. Some students took the uniform and managed to make their own out of it, such as Julie but it never settled well with teachers but as long as it was black and decent they didn’t say much.

Julie and Jade joined the mass of students, listening to them murmur, talk and shout.

“I can see three students who need reminders on the school uniform,” Jade commented, pointing in front of them a trio of girls who skirts were short enough for any perverted mind to sneak a peek. Julie cringed at the sight.

“That’s disgusting.”

“They’ve already been told off but it looks like a detention is in order.” Julie nodded, the girls leaving their sights as the two girls turned a corner to reach the next section of the building.

“So how is Computer Networking going?” Jade enquired.

“Yeah, it’s fine. I’m enjoying it and my partner isn’t bad but he’s the main reason why I can’t be late,” Julie said.

“Why is that?” Jade asked.

“Because he’s nearly always late so I need to be there first in order to get the good equipment,” Julie explained.

“Who’s your partner?” Julie raised an eyebrow at her American friend. She had told Jade before who her partner was since they were well into the school year; the month was October.

“I’ve told you this before,” Julie explained, earning a look of questioning from Jade.

“You did?”

“Yeah, you asked me what was new and I told you that I got assigned a partner,” Julie said. Jade scratched her head, showing embarrassment that she could not recall the conversation.

“I’m sorry; I must have blanked it out or something.”
Julie waved her off. “It’s fine but to answer your question it’s a guy called Dominic Howard.”

“I think I’ve heard that name before. I think I’m in a class with him,” Jade said.

“He’s got blonde hair, kind of tall and, if I heard him right, he’s in a band,” Julie said, trying to help Jade recall any more. Jade gave a knowing smile and nodded. “Oh yes I know him.”

“What does that mean?” Julie asked, hearing there was another meaning behind it.

“The band, um, I forget the name is looking for a new guitarist and they asked if they could hold audition in the drama studio. We agreed...but that trust was broken when one of boys auditioning decided to destroy the amp we supplied them. Needless to say, parents were called, arrangements for payment were made and we are gonna think twice about letting people hold that type of event,” Jade explained, ending with a small smile.

Julie blinked at Jade, surprised by the story. She was surprised Jade didn’t tell her the story before. Usually Jade would tell her all of her ‘interesting’ stories from being the head of the student council but she had never mentioned that before.

“How come you didn’t tell me?” Julie enquired. Jade shrugged slightly.

“I was gonna but the whole thing became a bother and other things came up.” Julie really couldn’t argue with Jade. There was a lot that came with being part of the student council so she didn’t pry further.

“Right, this is my stop,” Julie said as they reached her class. Jade stopped to give her a one arm hug.

“I’ll see you at the gate,” She said before walking off, strutting like a model while other students looked in admiration or jealousy. Julie considered herself to be the latter. Jade was considered gorgeous, defined features, good figure, flawless skin and piercing eyes. Julie was lacklustre compared to her, at least that was how she felt but she didn’t hate Jade for it. Jade was her best friend along with her brother who supported her and helped her in time of need. She wouldn’t hate her for something as shallow as appearance.

Julie ventured into the classroom, seeing that some students had the same idea as her and were gathering the equipment from the boxes their teacher, Mr Helon, had brought in. The room was large and white, with benches on each wall and a large one in the centre of the room. Each had five computers on them, ten for the centre one, with small desk space in front for writing notes and setting up networks.

“Alright guys just continue on from where we left off,” Mr Helon called to the students in the class.

Julie went to her seat at the back centre bench, placed her stuff down and went to collect the things for the lesson. She remained silent as the rest of the students bickered and talked amongst each other, allowing her to slip past them and collect two laptops, a network station and two network cables. She went back to her seat and began to set up the equipment.

“Hey, there partner! Oh, like the hoodie!” Julie turned to see her partner, the blonde, attractive student drummer Dominic Howard grinning at her as he set his things down.

“Hi,” She said, resuming setting everything up.

“So what is on our agenda today?” He asked, falling into his seat with his arms behind his head.

“We are just picking up where we left off the other day,” She explained, finishing the set up before sitting down in her own seat and began to boot the laptop.

“Oh, joy,” Dominic groaned, making Julie smile slightly. From what Julie could tell, Dominic had little to no interest in the class, taking it as there was nothing else in the selection that interested him. He said himself that he was grateful to have her as a partner because he never seemed to pay attention and Julie was happy to fill him in.

“We will need to set up the IP addresses again and such,” She explained further, already beginning the process. Dominic let out a noise of annoyance pushing, himself up to lean on the desk and poking the on button on his laptop.

“I don’t get how you can remember all this,” He said, staring blankly at the screen. Julie shrugged.

“I enjoy it,” She replied.

“How?”

“I just like computers, I guess.” Julie didn’t really have an answer for him. She just enjoyed working with computers.

“Well, I can’t complain, just means I have one of the smartest people in the class as a partner,” He said, flashing a grin. She returned a smile while nodding a little.

“When your computer gets booted, I’ll tell you what to do,” She said.

“You’re too good to me,” Dominic said, beginning to mess around with the computer.

Julie liked Dominic but couldn’t understand how he acted so comfortable with her despite knowing her in such a short time span. For her, it was difficult to act freely around someone she just met. It took her a while to open up to people and she had to be comfortable around them. It took her at least a month or so to open up to John and even longer with Jade. It was hard for her, given her past experience...

“Uh...what does this mean?” Dominic asked, breaking Julie away from her thoughts. She looked over to see a red light flashing.

“It just means the battery is going. Just plug it into the mains,” She told. Dominic nodded and started doing so.

“Thanks. By the way, can I ask you something?” Julie stared at him for a minute before nodding, wondering what he was going to ask her. “Do you know any guitarists?”

“Uh, sorry I don’t,” Julie said, her mind wandering back to the story Jade had told her. ‘Must have not found a guitarist,’ She thought.

“Crap. See my band is looking for one because our last one was an arse. We held auditions but...they didn’t end well,” He said, ending on a slight chuckle. It seemed he didn’t want to mention the incident. Julie shook her head.

“Sorry, I don’t know anyone that plays guitar.”

“I thought you might have because you hang around with that big guy that’s in the musicals,” He continued, referring to John. Julie wondered how he knew she hanged around with John, ending on the assumption that Dominic probably seen them hang out somewhere in school.

“All John does is sing and act...but I’ll ask him if he knows anyone,” Julie said, earning another smile from Dominic.

“That would be great. We are getting desperate and were about to ask any guitar player that we found to joining. Thanks.” Julie waved him off. It wasn’t like he was asking anything big of her. It was just asking John a question. She could handle that.

“It’s fine. Now, go to the start menu...”

*

“Oh my god, that was soul destroying,” John said as the bell finished it’s screaming.

“It wasn’t that bad,” Julie offered. John looked at her with lowered eyes.

“Because you know this shit! I just follow you!” Julie laughed slightly at his outburst.

It was the end of the school day. Math had just finished, meaning Julie and John were free to go home. All that remained was to pick up Jade and walk home together. Julie and John stood from their desks with the rest of the students and began to gather their things.

“Thanks again for writing down the guitar players again,” Julie said, patting her pocket which contained the list.

“No problem. Anything to help you make friends,” He said, pinching her cheek. Julie brushed away his hand.

“I’m just being helpful,” She stated.

“Yes, you’re being friendly by being helpful.” Julie rolled her eyes at his comment. “But seriously, tell Blondie that if he wants a good guitarist who also happens to be a terrific piano player, look up the first guy on the list; Mat...” John let his last sentence fall to the wind as he stared at the door.

“What is it?” Julie asked, following his gaze to the door. Jade had just walked into the room, holding a piece of paper, heading towards the teacher, Mr Wallsmen. They speak for a minute before looking over to the pair at the back.

“Miss Booker,” Mr Wallsmen called. Julie looked to Jon with wide eyes. John shook his head.

“No idea but you know Jade would have warned you if you were in trouble,” He encouraged. Julie nodded. She didn’t need to worry, she hadn’t done anything wrong. Julie made her way down to the teacher’s desk with John following close behind her.

“Yes sir?” Julie asked. Jade spoke first.

“You’ve been selected as a tutor,” Jade said with a smile. Julie let out a sigh of relief as John let out a cry of joy.

“Alright! You’ve been picked! By who?”

“A student who is failing miserably in this class and his test marks need picking up or there is going to be problems,” Mr Wallsmen explained with a hint of distaste in his voice.

“Who is it? When will I be starting?” Julie asked.

“You need to discuss it with him and his parent. That’s why I’m here, to take the two of you to the council room to discuss it,” Jade said.

“Come on! Stop avoiding the question of who! It’s killing me,” John said. Julie sniggered as Jade rolled her eyes.

“He is still here. Bellamy! Get over here!” Mr Wallsmen called out, giving Julie, Jade and John a slight scare. Julie noticed the distaste had returned to his voice as he called out for the student.

“Yes?” Said a quiet voice behind them. Julie turned to see a young boy standing behind her. He had pale white skin, hollowed face with prominent cheekbones and thin lips. He was very thin, his jacket too big for him and standing at the same height as Jade. He had black – brown hair that was short and messy but his eyes were his distinguished feature. A vivid blue. Julie stared at him, mesmerized by him for some reason.

“This is Matthew Bellamy. He’ll be the one you’re tutoring...”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey! Well this is my Muse story and I hope you enjoy it. Comments and subs are much love and I appreciate the time you've taken to read this and such and hope you continue to. See ya next time!.