Status: Its an old story | Everything before 'Restless' needs heavy editing.

Two Dead Boys

Middle of the Night

Paris sat in her room, it was dark the dim blue light of her computer screen the only glimpse of light there in. she watched the rain pelt her window as if knocking at a door. Drumming the desk with her fingers she anxiously eyed her cell phone near her mouse pad. Still nothing, it was getting late.

With a heavy sighed she turned back to her computer, a half written paper that required 5 pages, and she was only on page 2. But she couldn’t think and who would want her two. When her childhood friend, and her High school sweetheart was miles away in Connecticut 295 kilometers to be exact. (She had counted, numerous times.) Undergoing Chemo. “Why, why in god’s name isn’t there a decent enough place her in the great New York for this kind of stuff!” she thought bitterly, a tear slipped from her eyes and she quickly wiped it away. She could remember all that the doctors had said, Mrs. Campbell was good about that, telling her the results and what the Doctors had to say. Matt never would, he didn’t like to worry her, didn’t like to see her upset.

Six months may be less.

Experimental treatment.

No guarantee.

Waiting lists….Nothing in New York.

All these things she remembered Mrs. Campbell telling her. She was worried, more than worried. It had gotten to the point where she was getting physically Ill. Paris closed her eyes and listened to the rain, trying to calm herself down. “Matts going to be fine” she muttered, opening her eyes she looked at what she had typed so far and moaned, at this rate, she’d never had this paper ready.

Paris closed her eyes once more, If only he would just….

Her phone erupted in s set of rings, Opening her eyes Paris’s hand grabbed it “hello?” she asked hastily gripping the cell tightly as she held it to her ear. Light laughter came from the other side, Paris eased up and sighed “It’s not funny Matt” she warned but she wasn’t mad, to hear his laughter, how could she be. “Sorry” His voice sounded so weak and strained. He cleared his throat and Paris waited “it was a long drive and Chemo, well takes forever” He muttered, “how’d that go” Paris paused “I mean you know at the new place, out there in Connecticut?” She asked, trying to mask how fidgety she had been prior to his call.

“Not bad…not great, I think they may be able to help…” he said his voice fading “That’s great!” Paris cheered. Matt stayed quiet “yeah just great” Matts tone was flat and unsteady. “Matt” Paris sang in a sigh “you should go to be now, you’re exhausted, I can hear it” Paris advised in a soft calming voice. Matt clung to the phone from the other side of the line “No” he said sternly “I haven’t spoken with you nearly all day!” he had risen his voice “I need to hear you” his voice became pleading “just a few more minutes” he asked. Paris sighed “alright, but only a few, you’ve got to rest after the Chemo if it’s going to work” she said, Matt hummed what might have been a yes or an Ok. It went silent and Paris could hear the springs in Matt’s bed over the phone, she smiled as he pictured him crawling into bed, with the phone to his ear.

“So how’s your classes coming, you’re almost through with your senior classes’ right?” he asked. Paris nodded against her cell phone “yes, perks of homeschool you can mashed through it faster” she chuckled. Matt became quiet and she could almost feel him frowning over the phone. “At this rate you’ll be college bound before this year even ends” He said stiffly. Paris frowned, it’s true she had been a grade ahead of him even though he was older since they got together as a couple. He was always worried about that, and had started to pick up his grades and took summer school classes to make sure they graduated together. But then the caner hit, his grades fell, and well he was quite behind now. “I’m not going anywhere without you remember? We go together, even if we don’t graduate together.” Paris managed in a happier tone. “I know, I just…” Matt sighed.

There was a bit of a silence “sing me the song about the bunny” he muttered groggily. Paris giggled “what?” she asked “you know the one that was in the field with mice” he explained, Paris giggled more “I know which one Matt, but are you serious?” she asked. “yes, yes I am very serious, I just puked up like two day’s worth of whatever was in my stomach on the ride up here after listening to my mom talk to herself or god or whatever!” matt snapped and Paris stopped giggling and fell silent. “Paris…I- I-‘m” He stammered.

“Little Bunny foo foo Hopping threw the forest” Paris sang softly, her voice was a bit saddened.

“Paris” Matt murmured, “It’s okay” Paris said gently. She knew what the chemo was doing she knew it was hard. And she knew that some days he would snap at her, bark at her, some days he wouldn’t be himself. But if that’s what it was going to take she was going to deal with it, she was going to take it, until the time came were her Matt was back. “Paris” he said again softer, she could hear his voice cracking.

“Scooping up the field mice and bopping them on the head” She continued to sing as Matt softly began to weep her name over and over, she never stopped singing. Soon his voice faded, and she could hear him breathing softly. “Night Matt” Paris said, cutting off her song. She knew he was sleep but she could not bear to hang up the phone, she would stay on the line until Mrs. Campbell came and took the wireless phone from Matt’s hands and hang it up.

And that’s what she did, “Paris Hunny?” Mrs. Campbell’s voice called though the phone quietly “yes, Mrs. Campbell, I’m still here” Paris said tired herself. “Goodnight Paris, and thank you” she said before hanging up. Paris set her cell phone down and looked at her Essay with tired red eyes. She groaned, rubbing them “at least get to page three…then you can call it a night” she muttered to herself as slowly but surely her fingers began to pound lightly on the keys of the keyboard