Status: Its an old story | Everything before 'Restless' needs heavy editing.

Two Dead Boys

Crazy

Paris ran through the house and locked herself in the upstairs bathroom.

Running water in the sink, she splashed water on her face, cooling it off and washing away tears.

She took a few deep breaths and looked up at herself in the mirror.

A scream got caught in her throat and with trembling fingers she touched her face.

In her reflection, she could see weird symbols carved into her skin. Red and raw.

Paris started to hyperventilate before crying out in fear at the mirror.

Matt huffed and puffed out of breath entering the house. Her scream hit his ears and his blood ran cold.

"P-Paris!" he called, tripping over his own feet as he scrambled to get up the stairs.

Matt ran to the bathroom and tried the door. Locked.

"Paris?" he questioned as the screaming stopped.

Paris could hear him, but his voice seemed far away as she stood in silent fear, watching as one after another she was being surrounded by the craved ghosts. She trembled violently in her fear.

She found herself wondering why wasn't the Chard Thing coming to save her?

The Carved Ghost started to reach out and claw at her with blunt, stubby nails. Leaving scratches over the carvings in her reflection.

Closing in on her, Paris screamed more.

"Paris! Paris! Hold on! " Matt called frantic, he rammed his shoulder against the door, but it wouldn't budge.

"Come on, you worthless meat sack of a body! Use some kind of muscle! " Screamed Matt's mind.

Paris' screams got louder as they closed in, nearly covering her.

Matt kicked at the door, stomping at it until it cracked open, and he rushed in.

Paris was on her knees, hands covering her face as she trembled and sobbed.

Matt could have sworn he saw figures around her slowing fading away. He had no time to wonder as he spotted the Nightmare standing over her.

Matt rushed to Paris, dropping to the ground next to her, he embraced her. Glancing up at the nightmare only to find he was gone.

"I'm here, it's ok. You're ok..." said Matt as gently as he could.

Paris clung to him, he held her tight as if to stop her shaking. "What happened? " He asked. But she didn't answer.

The sat there together for a long time, it seemed no one had heard the screams.

"Matt..." Paris whispered, mentally exhausted.

"Yeah, what is it Paris? " He asked, nuzzling her hair trying to comfort her. But if she sounded tired, he sounded that much worse.

"This house.... We don't get along well, it and me" she murmured.

Matt looked down at her to find she had fallen asleep. He gave a heavy sigh and kissed her forehead. "Yeah... Same here" he muttered, before starting the struggle of collecting her onto his back and carrying her to her room.

Matt curled next to her in the bed, holding her tightly as he watched the burned boy stand in the doorway.

He wanted to shout at it, tell it to go away. But he had a heavy feeling that it might have just saved her.

What from? He could not say. Something happened to Paris in that bathroom, even if she couldn't recall what.

"The house can duck with me all it wants, but she's off limits" Matt muttered.

Paris cuddled closer to him and gripped at his shirt. Matt tore his eyes away from the boy and smiled down at her softly. He kissed the top of her head and gave her a squeeze. "Paris" he whispered, he had always loved the sound of her name on his lips.

In a sharp flash of memory, he envisioned the old headstone that read "Polly".

It felt like it was something he ought to remember, and so he locked the name in the back of his head.

Paris woke the next morning to find herself locked in Matt's arms, her ear pressed against his chest she could hear the gentle thumping of his heart and soft war breaths tickled the top of her head.

Oh, she wanted so much to still be mad at him, but he was sleeping peacefully, and his embrace was warm, making it near impossible. Paris kept replaying Jonah's words and tried to remember that Matt was likely struggling to keep up a tough front.

However, Paris didn't want him to have to do that for her. He was the sick one, she needed to be strong for him. Paris laid there listening to his heart beat. Closing her eyes, she could remember how sad Jonah had looked just before he left. "Wonder what's going on with him?" She thought.

The thought of Jonah reminded Paris that she needed to get up and head to work. As Paris tried to get up, Matt constricted his arms around her tighter and grimaced in is sleep.

Paris giggled softly and gave his arm a pat, "come on Matt, let me up." She said, trying again. She gasped as this time he squeezed her so tight it nearly hurt, only this time he kept squeezing. It became hard to breathe. "M-matt!" Paris stammered, kicking her feet about and slapping at his arms.

His breath was rapid and Paris could feel Matt's heart racing in his chest. "Don't panic, it's probably just a nightmare..." She told herself. "Come on Matty wake up you're hurting me!" Paris called, but still his arms closed in around her, she could feel her rib pressing in until...

Paris yelped as a sharp snap caused her body to flinch, "god-damn it, Matt! Wake up!" Paris yelled, tears filling her eyes. Matt jolted awake sitting up, he quickly released her.

"Oh my god, Paris....what - are you ok?" Matt asked, disoriented, as Paris sat with her legs dangling over the bed and holding her side. She tried to take deep breaths to stop herself from crying, crying made the pain worse. But the deep breaths only caused her rib to scream.

"I need to go to the doctor... I think you cracked my rib." Paris sighed, biting her lip. "Oh god...I'm sorry it was- I....it was just a nightmare." Matt stammered. He knew it ad to be more, it was the house, it was that thing, it was the cancer, the lack of sleep, the chemo, the meds. It was everything driving him mad.

Matt stroked Paris' hair, "I'm sorry, I'll get dressed and go with you and mom." Matt said, stiffly climbing out of the bed. Wendy came running up the steps with Sarah, "we heard a scream, is everyone alright?" Sarah asked. "No" Matt said, rubbing his temples in frustration. "I hurt Paris' rib in my sleep...might be cracked." Matt said.

"Dang what, did you body slam her?" Wendy asked. Matt leered at Wendy "it's not funny" said Matt heading pass Wendy to go get dressed. "I'm losing my f-ing mind..." Sarah heard him mutter as he passed.