Enchantment

Scarlett

Scarlett bent down, forcing the thin needle through the fabric. On her forehead were beads of sweat from concentration. Her mother always taught her to be patient, but Scarlett never fully understood. Embroidery wasn't one of her talents and it annoyed her to do a simple picture.

After pricking her thin finger for the tenth time, Scarlett tossed the fabric to the floor and stood. She stared down at the half-finished picture. It was of a Scarlett Lilly flower, the same flower that she was named after. It was supposed to be a gift but it seemed like it would never be done.

Someone knocked at the door lightly, only to pushed it open anyway. Scarlett quickly kicked the picture under her bed and smiled towards her mother.

Lila closed the door behind her. "What are you doing up here, Scar?" She asked sweetly. Her voice was high pitched, almost sounded like a child's. Scarlett shrugged her shoulders trying to look around for an excuse why her mother would interrupt her.

There was a dinner going on with representatives from the kingdoms. It wasn't the kings or queens, just their lords. No one dared to have that many powerful individuals in one place. It was dangerous. All the rulers never meet with one another. So they always send their Lords or someone farther down the line to their thrones.

Her father wanted to discuss the problem with the fishing boats. It seemed as if the Sea Nation was retaliating by cutting their fishing lines. It cost the kingdoms thousands a day. Her father wanted to find a way to stop it, so both land kingdoms and the Sea Nation could live peacefully.

Lila should be at her husbands side, for support and to keep his temper at bay. Marcus was very angry, no representatives from the Sea Nation arrived for his meeting. It was a personal insult. Especially when they sent back a fish carcass as a reply.

Scarlett took the alone time to full advantage and tried not to be put in the situation.

Lila smiled at her daughter and touched her arm. "Go put on some nicer clothes and join us. Magnus' son is asking for you." She said gently, but firm. It wasn't an open invitation. Scarlett had to go or be in serious trouble.

The last time Scarlett disobeyed her mother she didn't hear the end of it for weeks. It was all over Magnus's son, Cato. He was fourth in line for the throne in the Magik Kingdom. And he liked Scarlett.

Too much for her own good.
♠ ♠ ♠
A huge thanks to Beyond Words for the banner. By the way, this is Scarlett.