Enchantment

Prophetic Troubles

As they went home, Cato nervously studied Magnus. He may have been his father, but Cat was unexplainably cautious and fearful around Magnus.

Or maybe explainably… Cato had witnessed too many of their servants suffer and die under his father’s hands. A fit of rage was always enough to make the servants suffer. And Cato suspected that he was no different; Magnus could easily end his own son’s life if he were the one who happened to get in the way when he was in this state.

Then again, Cato might have been saved by default. His father had developed a devilish plan in order to increase the Magik Kingdom’s power. Only Cato could fulfill such plans since he was the only eligible suitor in his type of position – possibly conceived for such reasons – and he had the charms to win over Scarlett.

Yes, Scarlett was his object of affection. Well, she was supposed to be… He wasn’t so sure yet if she was his real object of affection yet. Cato liked his lifestyle of having a new woman every time he got bored or wanted a new one, and he wasn’t quite ready to give that up yet.

Sure, marriage when one was in as high a position as he would be held no restriction to laying with another woman, other than the wife, but he wasn’t quite as fond of such a controversial idea. Even though he had more power than most girls could imagine – a characteristic inherited from his father – he wasn’t that bad of a guy! The girl he would marry would be a queen and he would treat her as such; he wouldn’t have, or possibly even want, anyone else but that girl of his.

He did actually feel something for Scarlett at least; she was beautiful and he could easily see himself loving that innocence and power she seemed to have. She would barely meet his eyes earlier – and that made it all the more fun! Cato was used to being powerful and getting everything he wanted when he wanted it, but he liked this challenge. He liked proving his power by charming those girls that proved a challenge – Scarlett being the first and only that seemed to want to quench that thirst (possibly unknowingly to herself).

Still, he hadn’t gotten much time to charm her today. The dinner had ended quite abruptly when that stupid Oracle foretold of death of the kings – and something about the colors blue and red. He hadn’t really been paying much attention since he was lost trying to get Scarlett’s attention… But who could blame him for that? That girl was the most beautiful form of humanity he had ever seen!

Of course though, the part about death of the kings penetrated his sphere of consciousness. He knew exactly what that meant for his father was the one planning it all! That stupid Oracle always had to be so darn correct and foretell such things… But as for the “blue” and “red” he wasn’t sure. Whatever that was would have to be understood and ended if Cato intended on living – for his father wouldn’t be too pleased if he failed…

“Father?” He asked when they arrived home. Magnus would surely know what to do; he always did!

“Charm her!” Magnus demanded harshly in a way that reminded Cato of a hiss – to which he stepped back nervously by habit. “We don’t have time to waste like you’ve been doing! Charm her and make the first part of that prophecy come true, not the second part