Status: On hiatus.

Casually Cruel

fünf

"don't sweat it, forget it, everything is a-okay"

Image

Jenna-Lee crept up the stairs at the back of the barn. She just needed a break from the craziness that was going on downstairs. The top of the stairs led into a large loft. It was empty, save for an old futon couch and a dusty carpet. She walked over to the futon, laying down the blanket that was folded across it and sat down.

Lisa had been in the middle of a conversation with her boyfriend, Colton, when Jenna-Lee had excused herself. Her cousin – being the social butterfly that she was – had taken it upon herself to introduce the blonde to every person Lisa had ever met. After meeting the cheerleaders, Lisa had dragged Jenna-Lee over to meet Colton's friends, Ty and Rian Anderson, followed by Lisa's friends from student council, along with a handful of football players. Jenna-Lee doubted that she would be able to generate any of their names back to them.

It was quiet in the loft, something that she was grateful for. The music that was pumping from outside the barn was muffled and seemed further away than it actually was. Jenna-Lee closed her eyes and rested her head against the back of the futon. Now that she had actually been in town for a few days, she was thankful to her mother for suggesting this summer trip. When her mom had first suggested back in March that Jenna-Lee spend her summer in her mom's hometown with her aunt, Jenna-Lee had been less than enthused. She and her boyfriend, Liam, had planned to spend their summer road-tripping around their home state of Georgia. Though, technically now she supposed he was her ex-boyfriend.

In hind sight, Jenna-Lee was glad that her mother had gone ahead and made the plans with her aunt for Jenna-Lee to visit. She and Lisa had always gotten along well at their semi-annual family reunions at their grandparents' ranch in Alberta.

“Oh, Jesus, I'm sorry. I didn't think anyone else would be up here.”

A deep, rough voice pulled Jenna-Lee out of her reverie and she looked up to see the dark haired, tattooed boy she had seen earlier standing at the top of the stairs.

“It's fine,” she said, shooting him a soft smile. “I just came up here to get away from all the noise for a moment. But I can leave if you'd like.” She stood up from the futon and walked over to the stairs.

“You don't have to leave,” the boy finally murmured. “I was just looking for somewhere to hide out.” He shot her a crooked grin. “I didn't realize that someone else would have the same idea.”

“I should really be getting back to my cousin. She's probably wondering where I am now. Excuse me,” she replied, as she stepped around him to get to the wooden steps.

“I'm Drew, by the way,” the boy said, as she began to descend. He stretched out his tanned, calloused hand, the smile never leaving his face.

The blonde glanced up at him, before smiling gently and placing her own small hand in his, shaking it softly. “Jenna-Lee,” she murmured. “Have a good night, Drew.” All too soon, she pulled her hand away and headed back down the stairs.

“Jenna-Lee,” Drew murmured to the silence. It suited her. A pretty name for a pretty girl.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to MissRead11 for the comment on the last chapter!

And to my nine subscribers, know that I love you.
But I'd love you more if you'd comment once in a while. <3