Status: Coming along

Secret Hung the Gold

Money Can Heal

Ariel slid into the booth, smiling at the faces that surrounded her. It seemed like forever since she had hung out with her friends since they went off to camps, and Ariel sat at home alone, of course.
“Glad to finally see you,” said Bethany, her closest childhood friend. “Feels like forever.”
“Yeah,” added Kyle. “All summer without our little ‘Norm’.”
Ariel smiled, despite hating the nickname. Since she was young, Ariel has always been the grandma of the bunch; always thinking of the what-if’s and the maybe’s. She could only imagine all of the fun her friends had without her, the long nights in front of a campfire, the hikes. All Ariel’s father wanted her to do was sit at home, where he could be sure of where she was. That seemed like all he cared about now, where Ariel was and what she was doing.
To say she hated that was an understatement.
“Yeah,” Ariel said, trying to hide her envy. “Been forever.”
“So,” Bethany said, batting her eyes, “anyone special?”
Bethany’s eyes showed that she knew Ariel wasn’t allowed to date anyone but the preppy boys that work at the golf club where he plays. Ariel inhaled and shook her head slowly.
“No one?” Kyle asked, raising one eyebrow. “Pop still got the cuffs on, huh?”
Ariel frowned. “Yeah. He has this hatred for everyone who isn’t like him, so...”
Ariel’s eyes dropped in shame and she looked to change the subject. “So, anything new with you two?”
Bethany looked at Kyle. “Nope. Same ole people. Ready to conquer the world.”
Kyle smiled. “Yeah, summer camp was bomb. So much fun. Everyday a new adventure, a new way to learn something. I never thought I’d enjoy a wilderness camp like I did, but that is what happens when you just jump into something- you enjoy it.” He ended with a shrug.
Ariel nodded, pushing back the envy that began to grow in her stomach. “Cool. Well, I changed my room, then changed it back. Lost three pounds, gained two... you get what I mean. Sheer boredom.”
They all chuckled. “The normal?” Kyle asked, his eyes on Ariel.
“Um...” Ariel tapped her chin with a finger. “No, I think I want something different, you order.”
Kyle raised his eyes in shock and amusement. “Cool.” He flagged down the waiter and ordered. Bethany cleared her throat. “So, any guy that you are talking to?”
Ariel shook her head. “No. I am not ‘talking’ to anyone.” E.J. crept into her mind, but as soon as he did, Ariel pushed the thought away.
“No one that you hate?” Ariel laughed at the mischievous twitch in her friend’s eyebrow.
Ariel stared into her friends eyes, judging on whether to mention E.J. “No, no one. Just me and me again this year.”
Her friend leaned back on the bench. The look in her eye changed to suspicion. “Whatever you say, Air.”
Kyle returned to the conversation. “What yall talking about?” He looked from Ariel to Bethany. “Nevermind.”
Ariel half smiled. “So, I haven’t seen you around school.”
“Yeah, they switched me to the other campus. Since I been on academic probation from last year, they have me in a few remedial classes. You most likely won’t see me.”
“Oh, I didn’t know that was what the other campus was for. All these years...”
Kyle laughed. “They just changed it year before last. When you’re grades get too low they immediately put you in the other campus. To avoid a drop out ruining their cred.”
“Speaking of cred, I have to drop off my essay to my teacher before six to get full credit. You all wanna go? I’ll drive.” She reached in her pocket and jiggled her keys.
“You gotta car?” Ariel clapped her hands. “Go Bethany!”
“It isn’t a mustang, but it is enough for me.” She eyed the keys with a proud gaze.
“We should eat first,” Kyle said, pointing to the waiter headed toward the group.
The waiter returned and sat the steaming pizza on the table. Ariel noticed the smirk on Kyle’s face.
“What?”
“I ordered meat lovers.” He waited to gauge Ariel’s response. “Nothing? No speech on how all this meat is processed? No monologue on how many calories are in this pizza?” Ariel shook her head. “I think we need to rush Ariel to the hospital.” He reached across the table and placed his palm on Ariel’s forehead. Ariel swatted him away, chuckling.
Bethany looked at Ariel with no expression. “You’re prolly right.”
“I’m fine,” Ariel assured, reaching for the pizza. Her best friends stared as she folded the pizza and took a bite.
They ate quietly, Kyle and Bethany staring at Ariel whenever she wasn't looking.
“Alright. I have to go.” Bethany slid out of the booth and straightened her purse on her shoulder. “Yall coming?”
Ariel stood, looking over at Kyle, who was shoving the last slice of pizza into his mouth. She chuckled and followed Bethany out of the restaurant. Ariel slid into the front seat.
“I am going to count to twenty,” Bethany said, “and if Kyle isn't here, I’m leaving.”
Ariel smiled. “There he is.”
Kyle ran to the car and slid in, smelling like a mixture of pepperoni and soda. “I see you were ready to leave.”
Bethany started the car. “You right.”
They drove the ride with no words, only the pop music that played to the speakers spoke. Ariel admired Bethany’s new car. It was a simple four door car, with nude cloth seats. The body of the car is a mint green. In comparison to Ariel’s mustang, it was hardly anything, but to Ariel it was amazing. Every dollar used to get this car she earned. Ariel’s dad bought her the mustang because he went missing for a week and missed her birthday. For some reason, her father feels that money can heal the hurt he causes to his daughter. He can just leave and come back with a new present and Ariel will become the happiest girl in the world.
They arrived at the school and walked though the double doors. Their footsteps echoed down the hall.
“I have to go to Mr. Kaj’s class,” Bethany said, turning off into a hall. Ariel and Kyle followed.
Bethany stopped in front of a class. “Hey, Mr. Kaj. I have that work.” She stepped in and handed him the assignment. Ariel peeked her head in the class and met a pair of light brown eyes. Her heart dropped and she felt her face flush.
Ernesto half smiled and raised his hand. When he saw her discomfort, he smiled harder.