Status: Work In Process :)

Torn

And So It Begins

I slammed my books down on the table of my mother’s job. She looked up from her mountains of paper work and gave me a could-you-be-a-little-quieter-look. I smiled apologetically at her and sat down and attempted to do my ten page paper on the importance of inertia. After twenty minutes of staring aimlessly at the computer screen I walked over and sat across from my mother who was still waist deep in paper work.

"What is Gabriella?" she questioned not looking up from her paper work. A long sighed slipped free from my lips and I pondered on what to say. I couldn’t flat out say I didn’t want to do my assignment. My third year of college just started, and signs of me being lazy would only upset her.

"Gabbie, what do you want? My car keys, money...what?" she asked irritation ringing in her voice. I looked at her and sunk into my seat.

"Car keys please." I stated finally. She rolled her eyes digging in the pocket of her sports coat. She tossed them to me and dismissed me from her office. I walked back over to the table and cleaned up my mess, the fear of upsetting my overly stressed mother scared me. As I made my way for the exit my mother cleared her throat.

"Gabriella Monette Ferrari! You need to find a job sweetie pie. Daddy and I cannot keep supporting you when we can barely support ourselves. Please just start looking." she pleaded looking back down at her work. I sighed and nodded exiting her office walking outside in the warm muggy air.

Where to go? Maybe Kiernan wants to see me? I'll give him a call.

Taking my phone out of the back pocket of my shorts I dialed my boyfriend’s number. I slipped into the car and set my bag in the passenger seat waiting for him to answer.

Voice mail

I hung up my black berry and I pulled out of the parking lot. My parent’s house is being foreclosed on and they are currently looking for a two bedroom apartment in the city. They have been begging me to get a job since I was a freshman in college. I didn’t take it seriously, but now I am. I have applied at several stores with little to no luck. As I cruise with the windows down, getting lost in my thoughts, I make a left onto a side street and I drive the speed limit, fearing that if I do anything faster I’ll get a ticket. I come up to a stop sign and across the way, there sits a small cleaners with a huge HIRING sign in the window. I take a leap of faith, turn off my signal and drive straight across into the parking lot. I roll up the windows until only a crack remains then I get out of the car and walk through the wide open doors.

Ding, Dong

I smile as I look around suddenly this very creepy man approaches me. The smile that I am wearing remains on my face.

"Hi, what can I help you with?" he asks as he steps behind the counter. I walk over and stand across from him.

"The sign in your window says "hiring", are there still any positions open?" I questioned setting the car keys down on the counter. He nodded and looked under the counter to find applications. He finally found one handing it to me.

"Um just call me when you’re done I'll look it over." he spoke before walking away from me.

I read through the application, filling it out completely. I walked over to where he was sitting and smiled as I handed it to him. He smiled back and I was taken aback by how attractive he really was.

"Cool! I'll give this to the big guy and we'll be in touch! Have a nice day..." his voice trailed off and I extended my hand out for him to shake.

"Gabriella." I spoke sweetly. He nodded and took my hand shsaking it firmly.

"I'm Thomas." he said to me retracting his hand. I nodded and turned on my heels walking through the door, back to the car. Once in the car I checked my phone. I had two text messages and one missed call. The messages were from my mother telling me to get my butt back to her office so we could go home. The missed call was from my boyfriend. I looked up to see Thomas staring at me in the parking lot. I put the car in reverse and left.

~*~*~

I picked my mother up from her office and we drove home in silence. I wanted to tell her about applying at our local cleaners. I wanted her to be proud that I did it without too much force. I pulled into our drive way and I turned to face her.

"I applied at the cleaner’s today ma." I whispered, she turned to face me and she smiled rubbing my cheek.

"I am so proud of you baby." she spoke as she took her briefcase and exited the car. I followed her into our house where she was greeted by her father and I was greeted by our dog. I walked up the stairs into my room where I laid on the bed and I called Kiernan back. He answered on the second ring.

"Hey Gabbie!" he spoke enthused. I smiled into the phone as I pulled out my lap top.

"Hey baby! I applied for a job at the cleaner's today." I spoke typing away at my paper.

"Really? Did you get the job?" he asked, trying hard to suppress the surprise in his voice. I rolled my eyes and I sighed stating I don’t know. I told him I'd talk to him tomorrow. We hung up and I tried to finish up my paper. I must’ve passed out early because I was woken up at 6:56 to my phone vibrating. It was a number that I did not recognize. I picked up skeptically and sat up in bed.

"Hello?" I spoke into the receiver.

"Hey! This is John, Tommy's father. How would you like the job? Can you start on Saturday?" he spoke professionally. I couldn’t suppress the grin that crept across my face. It took every ounce of my being not to scream and shout.

"I will be there, sir!" I spoke biting on my bottom lip. He said bye and hung up. I put my lap top on the floor and I ran into the kitchen squealing loudly.

"Ma! I got it! I got the job!" I screamed spinning her around from the meat sauce she was making. She started screaming right alongside me. We collapsed to the floor in a fit of giggles and happiness.

After dinner I took a hot shower and I crawled into bed. I texted Kiernan to inform him of the good news, that I Gabriella Monette Ferrari, now have a job. I waited so long for his reply that I drifted into a deep into sleep.

In the depths of my mind while I laid deep in R.E.M I couldn’t shake the feeling of Thomas's eyes on me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Enjoy!