Status: Please comment and let me know what you think! :)

The Muffin Man

Storybrook

“Oh well, isn’t this quaint.” Emma noted as she looked around the small bakery. The walls were painted a pale yellow with a violet trim along the ceiling and floor. All of the tables had a darker shade of violet silk table cloths and there were pictures of cupcakes and decadent birthday cakes hanging on the walls.

Emma followed Henry to the far back corner of the bakery and took a seat across the table from him. She had only been in town a few weeks and really did not know what kinds of places were around to eat aside from Granny’s Dinner. After eating there three times a day for a few weeks Emma was glad to try something new, but she was not expecting Henry to pick a bakery. Everything in the bakery seemed so frilly and cute. Two adjectives that is mostly associated with females. Emma though was not a normal girl. Having been abandoned as a baby Emma did not have the mother role model most young girls had. While she was in the foster system and spent time with several different mothers none of them really cared. They just used her as another meal ticket. Growing up in such a harsh atmosphere has given Emma a bit of a rough edge. Dolls and nail polish was never really her thing. Instead she had to spend her time searching for shelter or food. So when she entered the bakery she felt a bit bombarded by the amount of frilliness and pink. She certainly did not appreciate the lace dollies that were neatly placed on every table.

Then again Emma really did not care where she was as long as she was able to spend time with Henry. He wanted so badly for her to stay in Stroybrook and be a part of his life and after he had gone all the way from Stroybrook, Maine to Boston just to find her there was no way Emma could just leave him. Especially not considering the state he was in.

“I am so glad you are on board with…Operation Cobra.” Henry whispered to Emma across the table.

“This is the perfect place for us to come up with a plan to break the cruse.”

“Operation Cobra?... Oh! Right, the curse.” Emma nodded slowly as she remembered what Henry Therapist told her.

“Yes!” Henry nodded excitedly.” You are the Savior you are going to help send all of these people back home!” He eagerly whispered.

When Henry first came to Emma in Boston she had no idea who he was. He was just some child trying to sell cookies or something. Then he told her that he needed her help. He explained that when he was born he had been given up for adoption and according to the records he found Emma was his mother. There was no use in denying that Henry was her son. Everything matched perfectly and he had all the records to prove it. Instinctively Emma worriedly asked Henry what was wrong and what he needed her help with. He took out a large book of fairytales from his backpack and placed it down on the counter in front of her. Henry pointed at the pictures and said that they were all people from his town.

“They are all cursed. The Evil Queen used a curse to send them all here to our world.” Henry said to Emma as he explained that characters like Snow White all lived in Storybrook with him.

It was obvious to Emma that Henry had some issues accepting reality. She took partial blame for that knowing that being given up for adoption can really affect a person’s mentality. At the same time Emma wondered why his adoptive parents had not done a better job explaining the difference between fantasy and reality. When Emma asked Henry about his adoptive parents he became really quite and looked away.

Then he told Emma that his adoptive mother was the mayor of Stroybrook. Generally Emma would have considered that a good thing. As the mayor his mother must be able to provide him with a very loving a safe atmosphere. She was happy to hear he had such a great life and did not have to suffer through the foster system like she did. As Emma told Henry how lucky he was to have a mother like that Henry began flipping through the pages of his book. Finally his stopped on a page with a picture of a tall dark haired woman who stood glaring over at the Prince and Princess. “That is my mother.” Henry said pointing to the dark haired woman. “She is the Evil Queen.”

Right away Emma knew that Henry needed help. He believed his mother to be evil and heartless. As Emma brought Henry back to Storybrook she asked him all kinds of questions about his mother and the town he lived in. She wondered if maybe his mother was unkind to him and abusive. Emma herself had enough experience to know what that was like. But Henry assured her that even though she was evil and incapable of love she was always good to him. Emma looked over at Henry in the passenger’s seat clutching his book. She knew that he was telling the truth and that his mother never hurt him, but still there had to be something wrong for him to believe that these fairytale characters could be real.

Once they were in Storybrook Emma brought Henry back to his mom. Terrified and relived she came running outside and wrapped her arms around Henry.

“Where have you been? I was so worried!” She held his face between her hands and eyed him up and down.

“I was getting Emma.” Henry stated as he squeezed out of her grasp.

“Emma?” The woman said as she stood straight up and eyed Emma up and down. “Your mother?”

“Yes. She is going to help me.” Henry said as he ran past his mother and inside.

An awkward tension filled the air neither woman sure of how to react to the situation. Emma looked down at her dusty boot as Henry’s mother studied her. Henry’s mother was tall with shoulder length dark hair and a pale completion. Her facial features were strong and dominate. After a few minutes of tension had passed Emma looked up at Henry’s mother and smiled.

“Well… I guess I better be going. I just wanted to make sure he got back safely.” Emma said as she dug her toe into the ground.

“Yes, yes” Henry’s mother said shaking her head. “Thank you for bringing him to me.”

As Emma turned to leave something caught her eye. Up in the highest window Henry sat watching the woman. As he saw Emma turned to leave he jumped up. His eyes were wide with fear. If Emma left there would be no one to break the curse and the fairytale characters would be trapped in our world forever.

Emma did not believe she had a mothering instinct or any kind of intuition with children, but as she looked up at Henry’s terrified face she knew she just had to stay. She had to at least find out why he was so attached to this idea of fairytales. So Emma left the Mayor’s house and found a room at the local inn. Even if she had given Henry up for adoption that did not mean she had to go on pretending like they had never met.