Angel With Braces

The First Noel

woman that made me smiled. I twirled to see the full view. I liked what I was seeing, for once the dress showed off a figure that was always hidden. My eyes scanned from my shoes, to my smile. The braces ruined the woman image. I decreased the happiness to a 4 instead of 10. I can’t wait to get these stupid things off.
Heels clicking against the marble floored hall made my smile fade. My throat felt dry, and my heart was beating out of control.

“Angel.” The stern voice called out, I couldn’t even respond. My nerves were getting the best of me. “Angel.” She repeated herself louder.

I heard the heels stop outside of my door. Two knocks were given to alarm me that she was going to enter anyway, but wanted to give me a heads up.

“Are you,” Her voice died out and this made me turn around.

I flashed a smile, and she returned the motion.

“Sweetie, we don’t have time to play dress up. You need to get ready. We have to be there in fifteen minutes.” She flashed her fake million dollar smile.

As she continued to smile, mine fade.

“Mom, I am ready.” My response, made her laugh.

“No you’re not.” She stepped a few feet closer towards me.

“Yes, I am. I love this dress, and so did the lady at the store. It’s not too mature; it fits right in my age range.” I softly said. She just shook her head.

“It is a nice dress, for a whore. And hun, you’re not a whore. So what you’re going to do is change into the dress I bought you and that’s the end of the conversation.” She waltzes towards the closet to find the childish dress she was going to make me change into.

I need to think Maia. I need to think Claire. What would they do right now?

“No.” I stomped my foot.

She ignored me and continued to search for the dress.

“Now, where is it? Did you leave it in the car?” She asked as she continued to search the closet.

I tossed it in the trash for me, to save myself the embarrassment.
“I threw it away."

This got to her, I can tell by the way she froze for two minutes saying and doing absolutely nothing.

She chuckled, “Now what are we going to do? Your father is expecting you to come as his little girl, not as some trashy hoe who has to be on the corner by 12.”

Her laughed died out as she turned to face me. I frowned, but I know she wouldn’t feel any guilt for me. She has no heart to feel.

“I’m sixteen now mom. I’m growing up and that dress---“

“You are not sixteen until next month!” She cut me off.

Clair. Maia.

“Either way, this whole treating me like a baby is getting old. For now on, I will dress how I want to dress.”

“No you will dress how I want you to dress. You can dress how you want to when you’re 18, and you moved far far away from here so you can’t embarrass this family. Claire.” She snapped.

I tried to hide my smile; she basically called me a Claire Jr. She’s finally seeing she isn’t in charge anymore.

“So here’s what we’re going to do instead. You have a fever, you’re sick. So I will tell your father that you’re unwell and was not able to attend his honoree dinner. That’s the story we’re sticking to."

I couldn’t even argue with her, she already strutted out the door. I don’t know when my mother died instead, but there was no way of bringing her back to life.

*****

“I’m happy you stood up for yourself, but disappointed that she called you a whore.” Maia climbed through the bedroom window.

I remained in front of the mirror trying to point out the errors in this dress, but I couldn’t spot anything but perfections.

“The one time, the one outfit, I feel confident in and she tries to break me down. “ I twirled towards Maia how was sprawled out on the bed.

“This dress will be another outfit to sit in the closet until I turn 18.” I grumped. Out the corner of my eyes I could see her slowly rise up and a sly grin appears on her face.

“You have a set of clothes sitting in your closet until you’re 18?” She questioned. I nodded.

“I’m going to guess you’re parents aren’t going to be home until late, right?” I nodded to her question once again.

“Angel Noel, put on the sexiest, most 18th outfit you got in there. Tonight, we’re going to have a little fun.” She smirked a smirk that had trouble written all over her lips.
♠ ♠ ♠
It'll get better, I promise.