That dreadful day

That dreadful day

It was unusually foggy this autumn day. The ground was still wet from the rain and the air was chilled and moist around us. The fog made it difficult for me too see the path infront of me but soon enough we made it onto the bridge.

He was walking next to me, keeping the same rythm and I waited for him to talk to me. He was upset I could tell. His body language was tense and solemn as we walked our first steps onto the large bridge. Cars were zooming past us as we stayed in the pedestrian lane on the side of the bridge. We were walking close to the reeling together as the cars sped by us loudly.

At last he started to speak as we slowly walked on the wet pavement of the bridge, crossing the large river many meters below our feet. He spoke slowly at first, letting the sorrow get the better of him but he soon turned angry. I could see the rage boil inside of him as he tensed up and fisted his hands. It was strange for me, seeing him like this. I had never seen him like this before.. He rarely let out his anger like this and it almost scared me.

I let him speak as much as he needed. It was good for him to get it out finally and not hold it inside. He's so very close to me and it pains me to see him like this. I wish I could do something, make it better for him.

We're slowly making our way across the long, massive bridge together and I listen to him closely, all his thoughts and fears that he held inside, that he could only spill to me as we walked across this bridge together every weekend.

There was a very solemn mood in the air around us as we walked and he was getting upset, I could see the tears threatening to fall any second but he was holding them back stubbornly. He always does. But at least he was talking to me, getting his frustrations out and I was always there to listen.

We always shared our problems, our deepest thoughts and fears. We were really close and he is very important to me.

We get further along the bridge, further along the reeling and in a while we will reach the tunnel that will take us closer to my home. It feels like we have walked for hours now but it hasn't actually been very long at all. The cars keep zooming past us loudly on the large bridge and dusk is slowly starting to envelop us. The fog is getting thicker and the air is getting colder as we walk in only our thin sweater.

Suddenly he stops dead in his tracks and I turn so we're looking at each other. Some tears have fallen from his eyes and they shine brightly in the settling dark. We look at each other for a while and his dark eyes are pleading with me, he looks almost desperate. Then he turns away from me and walks over to the reeling.

I'm too shocked, no words are able to escape my mouth and all I do is stare at him as he grips the reeling of the huge bridge. So very close to the edge now and terror is running cold down my back.

"I can't do it anymore!" He screams over the loud, speeding cars and trucks behind us before he starts climbing over the reeling. Before I can even blink he's standing on the wrong side of the metal reeling and our eyes meet again for a split second. Then he lets go and just fall.

I scream then, I scream until my lungs hurt before I rush over to the reeling and look down. I hear honking, car alarms and screams but he's gone. The fog has swallowed him up and I can not see anything anymore. He is gone and the fog is too thick. He is gone.. He is gone just like that and I hear myself scream and cry. But in my mind I am gone as well.

I can't handle it, standing on this bridge alone when all I want to do is follow him into the fog. This is too much and I start to slowly back away from thje reeling. I can't see it anymore, I can't be here anymore. I keep backing up, getting further and further away from the reeling. Then I hear a loud. long honk from my right and a bright, blinding light getting closer. Before I can even turn my head there's a violent thud and then there is no more, no pain, no sorrow, no anger.. just darkness and peace.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thisis a dream I had about 15 times a few years back. I talked about it recently with my psychologist and since then I haven't been able to stop thinking about it. So I decided to make it into a short story. Enjoy, whoever wants to read it.