‹ Prequel: Life After You
Status: You all wanted to know what happened...so here goes....

Fate's Cruel Hand

Fate's Cruel Hand

One or two glasses of wine has turned into two bottles,Wayne hovers in the background smoking cigars and his faithful pooch, Misty follows him like a shadow. The bowls of snacks are empty, their stomachs rumble with hunger.
Kelly checks her cell-phone, worried that Jeremy isn't here yet since his audition had ended almost two and a half hours ago. She reasons that he has went for a coffee, maybe something to eat since his nerves wouldn't allow him to enjoy her cooked breakfast.
Wayne retreats into the family room to watch the local news, something he did religiously every day, but more so because Marilyn and Kelly are talking about things no man wants to hear. He had caught the tail end of a conversation and almost laughed, something about Brazilian waxing gone wrong or somethin to that effect. He agrees with himself that he will be much safer watching the news.
"We need to do this more often" Kelly says quite happily.
"It's great just chatting over a bottle of wine. How did Jeremy's rehab go?" Marilyn asks "Wayne didn't want to just come out with it"
"It's been really good for him. He's stopped the pills completely and if we have wine or something, he limits himself to two glasses. His attitude's really changed" Kelly replies.
"That's great. I'm so glad it's worked out for both of you. You're the perfect couple"
"I wouldn't say we were perfect" Kelly brushes off the compliment with a laugh.
"We need to double date one night. Maybe go to the cinema and go for a meal. How about it?"
Kelly agrees that it sounds like a wonderful plan.
"Kelly, there's something I've been meaning to ask you"
Kelly looks at her with worried eyes. She had never seen Marilyn look so serious and it worries her deeply.
"I would love it if you could be my chief bridesmaid"
Kelly screams loudly and Marilyn pulls her into a hug, tears of happiness and joy streaming down their cheeks.
"I would absolutely love to be your chief bridesmaid" Kelly pulls her into a hug and kisses her cheek, the way friends do when good news is shared all round.
"Thank goodness"
The conversation turns to the madness expected with any engagement or wedding. Kelly is in charge of the girl's only night out which most consist of large quantities of alcohol and maybe a stripper, depending on how traditional Kelly wants to make it. She makes a promise to Marilyn that her "hen" night will go down in history, one that no one will ever forget in a hurry which just pleases her more.
Wayne looks sadly at the pair of them, how happy they are and he feels terrible bringing bad news to a lovely afternoon. Marilyn feels his presence and turns to him. She knows something is wrong because he is as white as a sheet.
"Honey?" She gets up to go to him.
"You need to come and see this" he replies and heads back into the sitting room.
Kelly and Marilyn quickly follow, not entirely sure what is going on that has made him so morbid. They stand in front of the wide-screen television, the volume bar casually going up as Wayne throws down the remote onto the sofa.

"Police and emergency services behind me are trying to rescue the driver of a vehicle that police believe to have been hit by an intoxicated driver. Sources tell us that the vehicle that has rolled down the embankment and practically crushed belongs to actor Jeremy Renner who is in critical condition. An arrest has already been made"

They stare at the television screen as paramedics roll a stretcher to the back of an ambulance. Kelly feels her knees weaken at the sight of Jeremy, unconscious with a yellow block collar around his head and neck, a spinal board beneath him. The bandages and gauze pads are stained bright red, the paramedics working urgently in the back.
"I need to get to the hospital"
"I'll take you there. You're in no state to drive"Wayne says as he picks up his car keys from the counter.
"It's going to be like a circus there."
"I don't care if they have riot police there. I need to see Jeremy" Kelly replies as the three of them make their way to Wayne's silver mercedes.
♠ ♠ ♠
Did you honestly think I wouldn't tell you what happens to poor Jeremy?