‹ Prequel: Life After You
Status: You all wanted to know what happened...so here goes....

Fate's Cruel Hand

Fate's Cruel Hand

Jeremy flexes his fingers and turns his wrist with ease, the cast lying in two parts on the metal tray. Luckily the small bones had healed easily which meant that the cast could come off. He is told he is free to go and given a few basic exercises that will strengthen the muscles and tendons. Jeremy hobbles back into the waiting area and shakes Kelly's shoulder, waking her.

"Sorry. I didn't realise I was so tired" she yawns and grabs her coat from the chair next to her.

"Do you want me to drive?" He asks, wiggling his now free fingers.

"I would love you to, but you have a cast on your leg, remember?"

"Oh yeah" he says with a small smile. As she stands he pulls her close and kisses her, a peck on the lips.

"What's that for?" She asks, blushing and looking around the waiting room. Two old dears are staring and giggling.

"Just cause I love you"

"I love you too, but whatever it is the answer is no" she teases as they slowly walk towards the exit.

"Can't I just tell you I love you?" He laughs.

"I suppose you can"

He stops suddenly and she worries that something is wrong. She looks at him with questioning eyes.

"How about we stop off at that new mexican place and get something to eat?" He suggests.

"That sounds nice"

Jeremy reaches over the top of the table and grabs Kelly's hand, playing with the gold ring she had received on her twenty-first birthday. He's been thinking of buying her something really nice as a thank you for all she's done, but if she finds out about it she will go nuts at him.

"Baby?" He says softly.

Kelly averts her attention to him from the mexican house band on the small stage. She really likes it here.

"I'm sorry for being moody the last few months" he says softly. It's not in his nature to take out his frustrations on the people he loves, but recently he's been doing it without even realising it.

"It's okay. I understand" she replies with a warm smile.

"A lot of women wouldn't put up with it." He admits "I don't know what I would do without you. I promise I'll make it up to you"

Kelly can feel her eyes smart, that feeling of going to cry like a baby. Recently she's been so emotional over the silliest of things and she feels stupid for getting so worked up. Just the other day she was reading an article in the newspaper over breakfast and she had just started blubbering.

"You don't need to make it up to me, Jer. Seeing you smile is enough"

She grabs his hand with her own.

"I love you. You know that?" He says, smiling. His eyes are shinning like stars in the night sky.

"Yes. Only because you tell me all the time" she giggles.

"Good. I know I don't say it enough" he admits. "I've been thinking"

He frowns.

"Okay..." She says.

The waiter interrupts them by handing them menu's and the free pitcher of sangria, a mexican cocktail. They order, but Kelly can't decide what she wants since the menu is very big and she wishes she could have a bit of everything. It's been a while since they've been out in public, some normal interaction.

"I don't know how to say it" Jeremy says, puffing out his cheeks.

"Just say it"

For some reason Kelly panics and wonders if he's going to break up with her or maybe he's going to suggest they slow things down a bit. She isn't mentally prepared for what he says next.

"We're getting along great, right?"

She nods.

"I was wondering...if maybe..you..would uh...want to move in with me?" He stutters over his words.

She looks at him, shocked. She wasn't expecting this. At least not for a long time. Jeremy living with her was only a temporary arrangement until he got better and got mobile.

"I don't know what to say" Kelly says finally. She breathes a sigh of relief.

"I'm hoping you will say yes" he replies.

"I would love to"
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments, suggestions?