‹ Prequel: Life After You
Status: You all wanted to know what happened...so here goes....

Fate's Cruel Hand

Fate's Cruel Hand

"I did tell you everything would be okay" Susan says as she pulls up outside Kelly's house.

"Thank you for everything" she replies. It's a massive weight off her shoulders and she can really feel the benefits of the good news.

"We are expecting a new patient tomorrow, but he had to cancel and won't make it in until the next day. Can you come in then instead of tomorrow?"

"That's fine. I could use a good night's sleep" Kelly yawns.

"Jeremy keeping you up all night again?" Susan smirks.

"Something like that. I better let him know the good news. And again, thank you for everything"

He quickly swallows the pills as the front door closes, he gulps down a mouthful of water and picks up the discarded newspaper from the table. Kelly quietly walks into the kitchen, peeling off her coat.

"How did it go?" He asks softly.

"The panel agreed that there was nothing I could do. I go back to work the day after tomorrow."

"That's good." Jeremy replies."I told you everything was going to be"

Kelly feels his arms wrap around her, just holding her like a vice. His cheek is resting on the crown of her head, she's listening to his breathing.

"Are we okay?" She asks softly.

Jeremy kisses the top of her head.

"We're going to be just fine" he replies"I'm sorry about last night. I overreacted."

"It's okay, baby. We've both been under a lot of stress and these things happen. How about I cook us something nice and we can watch a movie?"

Jeremy gives her a genuine smile and cups her face in his hand, kissing her softly. Kelly pulls him closer and he backs her up against the worktop, his hands squeezing her ass.

"I'll cook"

*****

The tomato and basil chicken was succulent, fully of juicy flavours and the side salad had been a nice accompaniment, something different from just potatoes. Jeremy had really made the effort when Kelly was upstairs, lit candles in the centre of the table, a nice bottle of rose wine and a rose sitting over her placing. Kelly had almost cried at how happy she felt, how romantic everything looked.

It doesn't escape Kelly how quite Jeremy is and how he isn't eating, just pushing the food around the plate. She doesn't want to ruin the mood or sound ungrateful for what he's done, but he's brooding over something and it's bothering him.
She has a good idea what this is about, but bringing it up again would only make him feel badgered.

"That was great" Kelly says as she wipes her mouth with the napkin.

Jeremy looks up at her and gives her a small smile, but she can tell by his eyes that he doesn't mean it.

"Are you done?"

"Uh...yeah" Jeremy replies and sets down his fork. He's eaten maybe one bite of the chicken and a few salad leaves.

"Do you want me to keep this?" She asks as she lifts his plate. He doesn't answer her."Jeremy?"

"No. I'm good" he finally replies, snapping out of his day dream.

Kelly takes the plates into the kitchen and can hear the small thumps from the walking stick behind her. She can smell his spicy aftershave mixed lightly with cigarette smoke and she feels all gooey inside when his lips brush her ear, his arms on either side of her, practically pinning her between him and the worktop.

"It should be me rewarding you" she says and turns around to face him.

"And how are you going to reward me?" He asks with a sexy smile.

Kelly walks her fingers up his abdomen and undoes the button on his shirt. He very quickly gets the idea.

"I'll leave it to your imagination"