‹ Prequel: Life After You
Status: You all wanted to know what happened...so here goes....

Fate's Cruel Hand

Fate's Cruel Hand

He isn't quite sure what time it is, but he's got a feeling it's nearly sunrise. His arms are tucked behind his head as he stares up at the ceiling, thinking of everything and nothing all at once. Sleep had been the furthest thing from his mind, especially after dinner, but a night of romance didn't happen. Kelly had tried her best not to sound disappointed, but he knew she was trying to be supportive and understanding. Jeremy lets out a sight and looks to his side to Kelly who is lying facing him. She looks so angelic and peaceful, completely at ease and just perfect.
He slides off the edge of the bed and dresses quietly. Sadness wells in him as he turns to leave the bedroom they had been sharing.

For the second time in two days Kelly has woken to an empty bed and the feeling of loneliness doesn't escape her. Sucking on her bottom lip, she goes downstairs and finds the note next to her cell-phone. He's gone out for a bit and will be back later. It worries her that he hasn't said where he's going or when he will be back, but at least he turned on the coffee. She settles down on the sofa, sipping coffee and flicking through channels when she decides enough is enough. Grabbing her cell she calls Jeremy and feels her stomach fall when it goes straight to voice mail. Worry starts to twist and bubble in her chest. Jeremy never turned his phone off and when he did it was because it running out of battery. Even then, he would at least let her know. Worry gets the better of her as she pulls on a pair of old jeans and a t-shirt, wrinkled from the wash basket.
Kelly backs out of the driveway and tries to call Jeremy again, but is greeted by an answering machine. Frustrated, she throws her cell into the passenger seat and checks out a few bars on the way to his house. He isn't at any of the bars and none of the regulars have seen him in months, she reasons that it's a good thing that he's not getting wasted somewhere.

She let's herself into Jeremy's home and looks around for any signs of life. His jacket is thrown over the back of the sofa, a recently smoked cigarette in the ashtray. Kelly breathes a sigh of relief, feeling that knot of anxiety loosen and disperse. As she goes to climb the stairs she can hear the sound of a guitar. Curious, she opens the door that leads down to the studio that Jeremy had converted into a studio, a music space. Listening, she quietly goes down the steps and stands at the foot of the stairs.
Jeremy is sitting on the old tatty two-seater sofa, a bashed acoustic resting on his knee as he strums, oblivious to her presence. It isn't until he starts to sing she feels a hot bubble of emotion rising in her chest. She can't do anything but just listen.

"Words get trapped in my mind
Sorry I don't take the time to feel the way I do
'Cause the first day you came into my life
My time ticks around you

But then I need your voice
As the key to unlock
All the love that's trapped in me
So tell me when it's time
To say I love you"
♠ ♠ ♠
The lyrics belong to Green Day, not me.
If you want the next chapter you need to coment, people :)