‹ Prequel: Life After You
Status: You all wanted to know what happened...so here goes....

Fate's Cruel Hand

Fate's Cruel Hand

Her hands shake as she tries to drink the highly sweetened coffee, watery trails of mascara staining her cheeks is evident enough that she had been crying her eyes out.

"What the hell am I going to do?" She whimpers into the soggy tissue."It has to be wrong"

"The symptoms fit." Marilyn replies.

"What am I going to tell Jeremy? I'm not ready to be a mom". The tears come again."I don't want to lose him"

Marilyn grabs Kelly's hand and tries her best to find something to say that will actually help.

"You aren't going to lose him. How does he feel about kids?"

Kelly wipes her eyes with the back of her hand.

"We've never spoke about it."

"I think you need to" Marilyn replies. She can't do this for her
even if she wanted to.

"And how am I supposed to start?" Kelly snaps. "Oh, by the way I'm pregnant"

"That's not what I meant" Marilyn replies evenly."You need to talk to him and I mean really talk to him."

"I know. I will when the time is right." She replies. She has no idea what she's going to do. She has no idea how she is going to tell Jeremy that she is pregnant.

***
The heart stopping smell of baked apples and cinnamon attack her sinuses as she walks in the front door. She checks herself over in the mirror and is relieved that the extra make-up has disguised her puffy eyes. She doesn't want to alarm Jeremy, not yet anyway. Kelly had argued with herself for almost twenty minutes as she made her way back from lunch with Marilyn.
Sucking in a deep breath she walks into the kitchen like nothing is wrong.

Jeremy is sitting at the kitchen table on his laptop, his hand supporting his head as he scrolls through the pages. Kelly wraps her arms around his neck from behind and kisses him softly on the cheek.

"Well, you've been busy" she motions towards the two cakes that are on the cooling rack.

"I was bored."

"And you aren't now?" She asks with a giggle.

He pulls her into his lap, smiling. His hands are resting on the small of her back. His lips cover hers and they move in an unspoken unison, tenderly.

"Every time I look at you I'm falling more in love with you"

Kelly smiles and kisses him, playing with the hair at the nape of his neck. She decides that this isn't the right to tell Jeremy that she's pregnant and at the same time she wonders if there will ever be a right time.
♠ ♠ ♠
Like it?