‹ Prequel: Life After You
Status: You all wanted to know what happened...so here goes....

Fate's Cruel Hand

Fate's Cruel Hand

Her heart thuds away in her chest as she quickly walks down the main hospital corridors. She had been shopping when Kelly had called and said something was wrong and like a true friend, she had abandoned he shopping cart and ran to her car.

Marilyn passes many faces, patients and their visitors taking a brief walk to buy a newspaper or a cup of coffee in the foyer that's like a mini-mall. Marilyn makes her way to the ward and finds Kelly being walked away by a nurse. Kelly is crying and looks completely lost, and she is suddenly fearful that things have gotten worse.

"Kelly!" Marilyn stops Kelly and the nurse before they go into a room, a small office used by the nursing staff. "What's going on?"

Kelly bites her lip and shakes her head. She doesn't know and desperately wants to.

"I don't know. He was fine. We were talking and the machines just went crazy. They shocked him with these pads."

Marilyn pulls her into a hug and gives a knowing look to the student nurse who doesn't know what to say or do except keep the two women away from the private room.

The student nurse who goes by the name of Trixie has left Marilyn and Kelly to find out what was going on with Jeremy, the two women sitting on the edge of their seats.

Marilyn rubs Kelly's back and tells her that everything is going to be alright, but with no news of Jeremy's condition she isn't quite as sure.
Marilyn had never believed in God, at least not since she was a child and over the last several weeks she found herself praying to him more and more.

The door to the room opens and their hearts stop.

"Miss Hunter" the doctor says. He's good looking with jet black hair and recently shaved cheeks, slim and tall.

"Please, sit down"

Kelly and Marilyn slowly sit back in their seats, their eyes wet with tears and their hearts thumping.

"I'm afraid Jeremy suffered a heart attack, but we've managed to stabilise him. We need to do some tests to see what the problem is."

Kelly squeezes her eyes shut and swallows that hard dry lump that's stuck in her throat.

"So, he's alright?" Marilyn finds her voice, half relief.

"Until we conduct an investigation we're not sure that it won't happen again. But he's being moved to the heart team where he will receive the best possible treatment"

"When will you have the results?" Kelly wipes her eyes and bites down on her bottom lip.

"Tomorrow afternoon. I'm afraid I can't tell you anything else, but he really is in the best possible hands."

"Thank you" Marilyn squeaks as they leave them, promising to be taken to see Jeremy in the new department.

"One more thing. It's quite possible that the trauma of the accident has caused the heart attack and it's just delayed itself. It's like the brain hasn't sent the message. How was he when you were talking to him?"

"He was doped" Kelly replies. "He didn't say much"

"Okay." The doctor says and leaves.

"Alright, what did you two really talk about?" Marilyn asks as they walk down the long corridor."I know something was said"

"It's stupid"

"It's not stupid if it's bothering you" Marilyn replies curtly. They stop suddenly to let an orderly with a wheelchair past and continue.

"When Jeremy came round he asked me to marry him"

Marilyn doesn't say anything. She doesn't know what to say and doesn't want to assume that it was the pain medication talking or a genuine proposal.

"And then he just.."

Marilyn wraps her arm around Kelly's shoulders as they go into the elevator.
♠ ♠ ♠
:)