Status: In progress!

The Cabin

Footsteps (Chapter 9)

Kellin instantly tensed. Had someone been listening to them? Had whoever was keeping them captive decided they knew too much now? Goosebumps broke out across his skin as he wondered what dangers the darkness was masking.

“Who’s there?” Ronnie yelled into the darkness, making Kellin jump. “What do you want with us?”

Almost as if in reply, the creaking of hinges could be heard from somewhere in the blackness.

Kellin shushed him. “If we can’t see them, they can’t see us. We have to stay quiet,” he whispered.

Two sets of footsteps sounded out in the darkness, steady and certain as if the owners knew exactly where they were going. There was a slight scraping sound, as if something were being dragged.

Kellin inhaled sharply as the noises grew louder. Is it possible that the could actually see them? The footsteps sounded too skilled to be blind. He thought of Jack still on the couch in the living room.

There was a muffled thud, as if something heavy had been dropped near by. Someone groaned in the darkness.

A hushed whisper was just barely audible. “...next phase… can’t die yet...”

There was a hurriedly whispered response that Kellin couldn’t make out. The footsteps moved further away before the sound of hinges could be heard once more.

“What the hell?” Danny’s voice cut through the dark. A few moments later the lights flickered on. “Did you hear that?”

“So they have some kind of plan,” Kellin said slowly. He felt a shiver rush down his spine as he made the realization. “But ‘can’t die yet’... They’re just fucking with us. Literally they’re just playing with us.”

There was another groan from the corner, causing all three to direct their attention there.

“Looks like they brought a new plaything,” Ronnie said bitterly.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know this one's super short, but I'm going to update again by the end of the week. (As in, I'm going to write the next chapter right now and the only reason it wasn't one big chapter is because I'm a sucker for cliffhangers and this one was too tempting to resist.) Thanks to everyone who keeps reading this despite my inability to update with any sort of consistency. I promise you guys that I will stay with this story until it's finished, no matter how long it takes!