Status: In progress!

The Cabin

Sound (Chapter 5)

“That sounds promising,” Ronnie muttered as he paced the room. “What does that even mean?”

“Sex slaves?!” Jack squeaked as his eyes instantly grew wider as the terrible idea stood out from the confused jumble of emotions and thoughts he was trying to process.

Kellin cringed at the idea, and Ronnie paused his pacing for a moment.

“They would have done something to us by now,” Ronnie said slowly as he resumed pacing. Jack wasn’t sure if he was trying to convince them, or himself. Jack’s eyes followed his path, back and forth, over the threadbare carpet and onto the creaky boards and back again.

“Face it, we don’t know what’s going on. We have no leads, nothing,” Kellin said. “What else can we do?”

Jack looked around the room, not wanting to admit how hopeless they were but unable to disagree. He was still trying to process that he wasn’t in some messed up TV induced dream. The group fell silent for a few moments, with no other sound than the repetitive creaking of Ronnie’s pacing. Jack’s eyes fell on the rickety looking staircase.

“What’s upstairs?” he asked, although it seemed unlikely that these guys had missed an escape route.

“Just some beds and an old closet,” Ronnie said as he finally stopped his pacing and allowed himself to fall onto the couch. He winced noticeably as he landed, his hand immediately feeling the back of his head before he added, “Bloody beds.”

Goosebumps formed on Jack’s skin, and he crossed his arms. His sex slaves theory immediately came to surface again, but he pushed it back. Ronnie was right, they would have done something by now. His mind clamored for a period joke to lighten things, but fear prevented it from ever reaching his lips.

The silence filled the room once again. An overwhelming sense of helplessness and hopelessness permeated the atmosphere, making the air almost physically heavy with its intensity. Despite being a newcomer here, Jack knew there was no escape. It was written all over the other men’s faces and etched into their eyes.

Suddenly a mechanical tone filled the room. Instantaneously, Jack jumped to his feet almost in unison with the other two. Alert eyes scanned the room, bodies tensed for attack if a threat presented itself.

“Danny?!” Ronnie called out, his loud voice breaking the silence and causing Jack to jump a little. “Did you do something?!”

The sound of footsteps echoed out as Danny descended the staircase into view.

“You hear that too? I thought I was insane.” His eyes darted around the room, as if expecting the culprit to appear.

“What the fuck is going on?” Jack asked, blocking his ears against the shrill sound.

Ronnie was already looking around for the source of the noise, as Kellin sat with his legs tucked up to his chest and his ears blocked.

“They’re playing with us!” Ronnie yelled over the sound, which seemed to be steadily getting louder, although none of them really knew who “they” was.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, once again I apologize for not updating! Thank you to sincerly Hailey for getting my butt back into gear. I know I've said this a million times, but it really does mean a lot that you guys keep sticking with this story despite my sporadic at best updates. I know this one's short, but I already have some ideas for the next chapter and I will update again soon (pinky promise!) As always, comments and criticisms are highly appreciated, and I'll do my best to add any band members that you'd like to see get stuck in the cabin! (Unless of course I don't know enough about them to portray them somewhat accurately.)