Valentine's Day

Eliza Price

“I think we need to end this.”

Eliza Price sat, stunned, as she stared with wide eyes at her boyfriend--or ex boyfriend.

She gaped at him, mouth opening and closing over and over as she tried to find the words to say. “You’re--you’re breaking up with me?” She finally choked out, feeling tears prick her eyes.

Jeremy sighed and lowered his blue eyes to the cup of coffee in his hands. “Yes, Eliza, I’m breaking up with you.”

“Why?” Her voice came out shaky, the tears still threatening to fall.

He looked up at her, seeming surprised by her question, before his face turned a light shade of pink. “I’ve…found someone else,” he mumbled.

Eliza closed her eyes, “Dear God, Jeremy. Please, tell me you didn’t cheat on me,” she said, opening her eyes to stare blankly at him.

He shook his head fiercely, “No, no! Of course not Liza! I--I just ran into an old friend from Manchester. We had lunch together one day and, we talked…” He trailed off, biting his lip. “I never meant for it to happen Eliza, honestly I didn’t, but my feelings for her have grown into something I can’t ignore. And it’s not fair to you, for me to be in this relationship when my feelings have disappeared. I’m truly sorry Liza.”

She shook her head, feeling the first tear fall. She wiped it away quickly without him noticing. “Exactly how long ago was this?”

He sighed heavily and ran a hand through his blonde hair, “About two months ago. I’ve been trying to get up the nerve to tell you. Clara finally encouraged me to talk to you today.”

Eliza let out a shaky breath and stood up. “I’ve heard all I need to Jeremy, thank you. I’ll start looking for a new place-”

“No, Eliza. I’ll move out. Your parents paid for the flat, you keep it,” he said, looking up at her with those damn puppy dog eyes.

She shook her head again and, despite her aching chest, laughed lightly. “Damn you and your good heart,” she muttered, just loud enough for him to hear.

He smiled slightly, “I really am sorry Eliza.”

“I know.”

And with that, she found herself walking out of the coffee shop. As soon as her feet hit the pavement, the tears began to fall.

~*~


“He broke up with you?!” Casey cried into the phone.

Eliza winced before answering. “Yes, and I can’t really be that angry at him. The stupid wanker was so nice and gentle about it,” she grumbled. She scooped another spoonful of cookie dough ice cream into her mouth as her friend sighed.

“Now it’s you and Veronica I’ll need to take out and cheer up,” she said quietly.

Eliza felt her heart fall. “How is she, by the way?”

“Still a rotten mess,” Casey answered with a sigh.

“It’s such a shame her and Lou are over. Seriously, I was shipping them.” A small smile pulled at her lips as her friend laughed.

“Yeah babe, we all were.”

A few moments of silence passed between them before Eliza spoke again. “Are you going to the boys’ concert Thursday?”

She could practically hear the gears turning in Casey’s mind as she answered. “Yes, Niall invited me.”

“Don’t worry about it Case. I’m sure he’ll come around to telling you soon. Harry and I are sure of it,” Eliza said.

“Really?” Casey asked, voice somewhat nervous.

“Yup,” she answered smugly. “Harry says he sees lucky days in your future.”

Casey laughed, “Speaking of, have you told him?” She asked.

Eliza took another bite of ice cream. “Told who what?”

“Have you told Harry about Jeremy?”

Eliza frowned, “Not yet. I was going to call him after we talked. Why?”

“Oh, no reason.” Her interest peaked at the nonchalant tone Casey used. “Except for the fact that you’re now free and he has his chance at you.”

Eliza snorted with laughter. “Oh god, not this again. I’ve told you, Casey, Harry and I are just friends.”

“Oh come off it Liza, you honestly can’t tell me he doesn’t fancy you. That boy would crawl across glass and bend over backwards to give you anything you wanted or needed.”

“That’s called being a good friend,” Eliza muttered.

“Good friend my ass! Eliza that boy is in love with you.”

“Okay, fancy I can accept. But, love? No, I seriously doubt it. You’re just talking shit now,” she protested.

“If one of us is talking shit, it’s you Eliza.”

“I’m hanging up now.”

“Eliza, so help me god, do not-”

“Goodbye Casey,” Eliza sang and she ended the call with a roll of her eyes.

She didn’t know where her friends got the idea, but they all thought Harry was head over heels for her. He’s just a friend, she thought as she scrolled through her contacts, tapping his name and putting the mobile back to her ear.

“Ellie, how’re you?” The voice on the other end was deep and cheerful.

Eliza laughed lightly, “Not so good Hare, can you come over?”

“Need me to get some takeaway?”

She smiled, “Yes please.”

“Chinese?”

A laugh escaped her, “You know me so well.”

“Well, I am your best friend.”

An unfamiliar emotion went through her as she answered, “Yes, you are.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello everyone :) I'm Chey and I'll be writing for Eliza Price. I'm so excited for this!!