I'll Change Their Minds

The Calm

As soon as I got onto the bus I tried to head straight to my bunk, I was tired, fed up and in need of some sleep if I was going to make it through tomorrow without ripping some one’s head off.
I managed to get half way through the bus before being roughly pulled to the side by a strong set of hands.
''What the hell was that all about?!'' Kellin asked sternly, placing his hands on the wall either side of me so I couldn't escape easily.
''It doesn't matter'' I looked down at the floor
''Yes, it does matter. Look, I care about you okay? And I know that it wasn't nothing.''
''Look Kellin, I'm tired, I just need some rest and so do you, we've all got a long day ahead of us tomorrow so let’s just go to bed'' I pushed his arms away from me and walked towards my bunk and getting in. Shutting the curtain fully behind me.

- - -
I woke up in the morning to a relatively quiet bus. I peeked out from behind my curtain to see all of the bunks empty. I stood outside my bunk for a second or two, rubbing the sleep from my eyes, with the cool air brushing against my legs making me shiver slightly. I headed out to the kitchen and grabbed a bottle of water with a couple of paracetamol. After downing both of the paracetamol I sat down on the sofa and rested my head on the table. I heard a light cough and pulled my head up; as I progressed in my movements it felt like I had been hit repeatedly around the head with bricks and run over by a bus. Several times.
I looked up to see Alan standing there sheepishly.
''Can I help you?'' I asked, a little ruder than I had first anticipated, but who could blame me. I had a banging head ache.
''Hung over I see?'' He laughed and made his way over to sit next to me. I settled back in the seat a little bit and he draped his arm over my shoulder, I let my head fall onto his shoulder.
''Yep, now you know why I tend not to drink so much anyway, where is everyone? I woke up to an empty bus''
''Well Justin and the guys have gone to set up their set, and the rest of your boys have gone to set up your merch tent''
''We have merch now?'' I was really confused; no-one had told me about this. I guess it must have been Austin making last minute arrangements or something. I don't know.
''Yeah,'' he laughed ''Austin got in touch with the people who do all the t-shirts and stuff and sorted it all out. Your merch is pretty damn awesome; I have to give him credit for it. But then again, I need to give you the credit too, he used your drawings from when you and the guys designed what you would have your merch like''
''Awesome!''
''Yeah, they look pretty cool'' he nodded slowly, sucking his lips in to his mouth and then blowing out a large breath.
''I guess I should go down to them then'' I stood up slowly, letting Alans arm fall down.
''Might as well, you want me to walk you down when you're ready?''
I stood still for a minute, before shaking my head ''no thanks, you should get off and get ready for your set. You go on soon don't you?'' I leant against the wall, letting my head fall to the side and rest on it.
''Yeah, in about an hour. You sure you don't want me to walk you?'' He stood up, pulling his jeans down a little at the ankles before straightening up.
''No, I'm fine thanks'' I smiled warmly at him ''I'm going to go and get dressed, do you want to let yourself out?'' I pointed limply towards the door.
''Sure,'' he walked forward and gave me a hug, tighter than usual.
''God Alan, don't crush my lungs or anything will you?!'' I laughed a little, and he loosened his grip.
''Sorry, just look after yourself around here yeah? It can get pretty rough, especially when they all start getting drunk around this time''
''What time is it?'' I pulled back, realising it must be late if everyone was getting drunk already.
''Erm'' he took one arm from around me and reached into his back pocket, pulling out his phone and checking the time ''half 11''
''Why did no-one wake me up?!''
''Well Kellin came in to do it but he said you looked to peaceful to wake. Plus, you're a grumpy little shit in the mornings'' he chuckled slightly as I leant my head against his shoulder groaning.
''Right,'' he patted my back gently ''you need to go and get ready and I need to go and get ready too. Why don't you come and stand side stage? Watch your favourite person in the whole world up on stage?'' he winked at me and walked towards the door of the bus, opening it slightly.
''Sure will, not too sure about the 'favourite person in the whole world' thing though'' I laughed.
He said a quick good bye and left the bus, leaving me to get dressed, do my hair and blah de blah. Before heading off to the merch tent to meet the boys.
I spent about 20 minutes looking through all of our t-shirts checking them out, looking out for any misprints etc.

After we had set up, and left our newly found 'merch bitch' to handle everything on her own, and set off to the main stage where Of Mice and Men were going to be playing.
I settled myself on the top of an unused speaker and watched the crowd erupt as they made the band made their way on stage.
I waved at Austin as he jumped up onto the platform, introducing himself and the band before they started to play the first song. Purified.
I sang along to the words under my breath and actually enjoyed being side stage. Even if I was getting a few dirty looks from some diehard fans in the mosh pit. Screaming and crying if one of the boys even glanced at them for a millisecond. It's bloody weird I'll tell you that now.
Half way through their set Austin stepped down from the platform and announced something over the mic that I didn't quite catch. Before I knew it I was being dragged out onto the stage with the rest of my band, and being introduced to what we would hope to be our new fan base.
We all walked back off stage and settled in our previous positions to watch the remainder of the set.

A few minutes towards when they were due to finish Austin stated that they were to perform 'Second and Sebring' for the final song.
He gestured to me to come back out on stage and join him, we wrote the song together a few years ago. I'd never actually performed it with him so I guessed this was my chance.

I jumped down from the speaker and walked back out onto the stage for the second time.

When we had finished performing I was sobbing like an idiot, trying not to make a scene I waved to the audience and jumped off stage, back into the side. Followed shortly by the rest of the band and a comforting group hug. Bless them all. I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have friends like these.