Sequel: Best Expectation
Status: I wanted to upload something.

Best Woman

ten.

It took a week overall to get everything sorted – 6/7 days it took convincing Ellie, and 1 day for Evan to pack.

He couldn’t deny it – he was extremely excited about this, spending time with Annie, seeing Clyde and Lulu once more and exploring their Texan ranch once more.

Ellie hated outdoorsy stuff – nature in general actually – when they first started dating, Evan tried to take her swimming in the lake, three hours away. Ellie refused, had a major hissy fit, and made Evan drive all the way home – it was meant to be a nice surprise for her, they would skinny dip, make out and fall in love right there and then.

Ellie didn’t want to know – demanding they find the nearest diner, grab some food to last them for the journey home, and put her music on and didn’t talk to him.

Oddly, Evan never told Annabelle this – it was Ellie and Evan’s first real argument, and it happened only a month into the relationship. Evan didn’t tell Annabelle because he’d knew what she would say:

“It’s warning signs – perhaps you’re not meant to be.”

Annabelle always said stuff Evan didn’t want to hear, and over the years she had said stuff about his bad friend choices, and bad ex-girlfriends, not in a patronising way, just comments and she’d be spot on. She was a brilliant judge of character hence why Evan trusted her with his, and anyone he loves, life.

Evan had a feeling sometimes he was making a mistake, rushing into this marriage: they were only twenty-three for god sake, shouldn’t they be living still?

But the feeling soon passed: he’d take a deep breath and tell himself to stop being ridiculous.
--
“Okay El, she’s here…” Evan called looking out his window and seeing Eddie’s truck pull up. Annabelle was using it for the drive, as she sat comfortable in the driver’s seat, twirling her hair.

Ellie sighed, getting up from the couch and following Evan to the door: “I’m not happy about this…” she began, but Evan stopped her with a peck.

“I love you…” he said, taking her face in his hands, smiling softly.

Her face softened and she smiled lovingly at him, melting practically there and then: “I love you too, Evan – be good.” She whispered, and reached up and kissed him firmly.

Evan smiled into the kiss and whispered his last goodbye, before opening the door, and hoisting his duffel bag on his shoulder, he ran down the stairs, and as Ellie watched from the window he’d been waiting at, she saw him jog to the car, throwing the bag in the back, with the rest of the stuff and jumping into the truck – causing it to bounce slightly.

The car horn beeped, saying goodbye and Ellie watched her fiancé leave, with a sickening feeling in her stomach.
--
On the road, the radio blared out Ryan Adams: “Come Pick Me Up” – one of Annabelle’s favourite songs, Evan gazed out the window. They were three hours into the journey, just off the highway now and heading into the sandy deserted area of Texas – it was another few hours before they’d reach the ranch, and the next town was an hour away, where they’d stop for dinner.

Evan felt so comfortable and relaxed, like he could finally breather: the sun shining down one his face, with the window down, and his Ray-Bans covering his face, observing the beautiful horizon of Texas.

He glanced to Annabelle, her hair bustling around her face, from the breeze from her own window as she sped comfortable down the empty road. It was Friday evening, everyone was home by now, it was just the two friends on the road.

Evan’s heart swelled with love for her, in a platonic way surely, as he watched her slyly: she looked so pretty, mouthing along to the words, the rock-folk singer sang:

“I wish you would…when you’re walking downtown, do you wish I was there? Do you wish it was me?”

Evan grinned happily at her, and Annabelle looked at him, laughing, blushing as it was caught out: “What?” she giggled, glancing at the road a few times.

Evan shook his head, and shifted in his seat, his seatbelt long ago taken off, putting his back to the car door, fully facing her, one leg tucked under him.

“This is what life is about, isn’t it? Annie?” he spoke suddenly, feeling sentimental and philosophical.
Annabelle didn’t respond straight away as she pondered on the road: “I suppose it is…” she began, not looking at him.

“But – ” Evan interrupted.

“This is good, right? Me and you on the road…I feel like we should have done this ages ago…” Evan rambled, and Annabelle grinned, feeling her heart swell.

“Yes, we should have.” She confirmed. Evan chuckled, and sighed, sitting properly once more and looking out to the beautiful Texas range.

Evan felt like he belonged, for the first time, in a long time
♠ ♠ ♠
longer chapter cause you're just all so awesome.

Having a major Ryan Adams obsession at the moment.