Sequel: Best Expectation
Status: I wanted to upload something.

Best Woman

eleven.

The journey was exhausting; Evan drove from the diner and immediately felt guilty on how Annabelle fell asleep so quickly. She never complained, his dear Annabelle.

It was nearing seven o’clock, and there another hour left, the music on low and the feeling of exhilaration had passed; now he just wanted a bed and some sleep. Annabelle was snoozing comfortable, and the sun was setting.

When they finally arrived at the ranch, it was 8.12pm, and Annabelle was practically zombie-like. Clyde had just finished up night feeds, and welcomed them with open arms, pleasantly surprised to see Evan.

“We’ve got our stable boy, Daniel, staying with us for the summer –” Lulu explained as she and Annabelle walked into the kitchen. Clyde and Evan already in there with most of the bags, Evan looked to Lulu, listening in.

“Poor boy was kicked out of his Momma’s home…we gave him a chance to work here for a while, till he gets back on the feet. He’s an angel, works so hard…tonight’s his night off bless him, gone off into town…” Lulu explained softly, her cheeks rosy red.

Annabelle smiled – her grandparents were so kind hearted, they’d take a chance on anybody.

“He’s a looker, Annie….” Lulu continued and smirked at her granddaughter knowingly. Annabelle immediately blushed. “Grandma…” she whined, and Lulu chuckled, folding the dish towel neatly.

“I’m just saying, he’s a year older than you and he’s a mighty fine boy….you and him should talk.” Lulu encouraged and Annabelle rolled her eyes, laughing it off.

Annabelle didn’t notice Evan’s tense posture, or his unsmiling face at the mention of the stable boy, Daniel.

Lulu didn’t mention it either, but Clyde did – Clyde noticed a lot of things about Evan.
--
The following morning, everyone got better acquainted over brunch – Lulu cooked a huge feast for everyone, including Daniel who was finally introduced. Annabelle and Evan had separate rooms and Evan grinned at his best friend, as she took her seat, still in her pyjamas which consisted of an oversize band t-shirt, which he was confident was his own, and a pair of shorts.

“Order’s up…” Clyde exclaimed, sitting down at the head of the table rightfully, Daniel at the other end, Lulu by her husband, Daniel by Lulu, Annabelle by him, and Evan opposite, with two other stable girls, twins: Summer and Robin.

Annabelle felt completely at home, fitting in nicely and chatting animatedly to Summer and Robin, Evan, chatting happily to Clyde mostly, and completely avoiding Daniel. He fitted in here, with Annabelle – his Annie even.

“So Annie you going to go take Evan out on the trail?” Clyde asked his granddaughter, buttering his second piece of toast.

Clyde was a pure family man, inside and out: a loving husband, caring father, and kind-hearted grandfather, reaching the age of 70 almost, with snowy white hair, and tanned leather skin, with big blue-grey eyes, just like Annabelle.

He fought in the war, gaining a badge of honour for saving his friends in a secret attack, he married his childhood sweetheart, fathered one child which he sadly lost, and became the best grandpa he possibly could become.

Annabelle grinned at Evan, who mimicked her smile: “You want to?” she asked him hopefully and Evan smirked: “Of course, I call Razor!” he said immediately, and Annabelle’s mouth, open ready to also call it, closed and she glared playfully.

“Damn…” she mumbled, and Lulu coughed loudly, pretending not to have heard the cuss.
Lulu was a beautiful woman, with white-greyish hair wrapped in a French bun, her skin wrinkled yet healthy looking and tanned from the Texan sun. She was originally from Texas, always been a southern “belle” as Clyde always called her. She was a firm believer of God and disliked cussing greatly.

She fell in love at 15, married him by 18 and had his child at 21 – she had a heart of gold and always liked to believe in everyone. Losing her daughter was devastating for them both, yet they had closure, saying goodbye to her but staying in the city was too much, moving out to where she started was the best bet for her.

Now she spent her days happily making jams and collecting produce for the local grocery store, cooking for her staff and cleaning her home.

“Sorry Grandma…” Annabelle murmured, causing Evan and Daniel to smirk at her. Annabelle blushed under Daniel’s gaze, causing Evan’s smile to falter.

“Don’t go up the creek, a storm last week blew the trees down – I’ve got to call Eric to move them…” Daniel piped up suddenly. Annabelle nodded, unable to truly look at him and kept her gaze on Evan.
After breakfast, and Annabelle and Evan got changed, they went out to the horses, six in total and prepped them for the trail. Evan chose Razor, a dark brown thoroughbred, and a white dash on his forehead, he was called Razor for his speed, and agility: he was always Evan and Annabelle’s friendly, due to his cheeky nature and lovable characteristics.

Annabelle chose, Mad Hatter a gold Arabian horse, which was only moved here a year ago, after being abused by its owner: Clyde bought it home the same day from the auction when he heard the rumours and saw the evidence on the young horse.
Mad Hatter lived up to her name: she was just a bit insane, daft and very clumsy so therefore Annabelle loved her so much anyways.

With the horses saddled up, Annabelle led the way, and Daniel waved as he was sweeping the yard, whistling at her.

She blushed harder, and waved awkwardly back, before trotting out the gate. Evan frowned at Daniel, and followed close behind.

After an initial gallop, the two friends slowed done to a walk, the two horses comfortable to stroll along one another over the grassy fields, which Clyde also owned.

“You don’t’ like that Daniel guy, do you?” Evan asked suddenly, and Annabelle giggled.

“Why you jealous?” she asked, and Evan scoffed.

“No, I’m just saying…we’re only here a two weeks, it isn’t really wise to get involved with anybody…” Evan ranted slightly and Annabelle smirked.

“I’m not going to get involved…” she began, and noticed how Evan relaxed.

“I’ll just sleep with him.” She finished, sousing serious. Evan yanked the reins to a halt, glaring at her. Razor huffing from the stop, Annabelle carried on, smirking to herself.

“That’s not funny, Annie!” he snapped, and Annabelle giggled more: “Of course I’m not going to sleep with him…” she said obviously, as he caught up, Razor now happier to be by his friend.

“You better not…” Evan mumbled, causing Annabelle’s stomach top drop with excitement, and a smile on her lips. She’d loved it when he was protective of her, in this type of way.

“Race you to the third lot of fencing?” Annabelle asked, and Evan grinned: “You’re on…winner buys drinks…” he offered.

They both nodded, and within seconds, Annabelle clicked her tongue: “Come on Hatter!” she called, and they shot off.

“That’s not fair!” Evan called after her, pulling on Razor and nudging for him to go too. Razor shot off like a bullet, and tried to catch Mad Hatter and a laughing Annabelle up.

The sun shining, and the sound of friends laughter could be heard: it sure looked and sounded a lot of love between them.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm excited for what's coming up, hope you guys are still liking it...

<3