Sequel: Best Expectation
Status: I wanted to upload something.

Best Woman

sixteen.

When it hit Friday again, they both knew it was time to go home. They all hugged and waved goodbye, giving kisses and gratitude as they packed up the truck. Evan was driving half way, and they switch again later on.

They set off, Annabelle waving, leaning out the window: “Bye!” she called to everyone, and they all called back to her. She grinned brightly, and giggled as Daniel blew a kiss, winking at her. They had become good friends over this vacation.

She sat herself back in the car, and sighed softly: “Ready to go face the world?” she asked, trying to keep the mood light. Evan had been weird with her, ever since that night in the barn.

He had slept in her bed since then too, just holding her desperately. Annabelle wasn’t going to complain because she knew as well as he did, it would all change when they got back home.

The radio blared, drowning out any chance of discussion and both of them just kept to their own thoughts.

It was almost 11pm before Annabelle pulled up at Evan’s apartment, and she slowly pulled to a stop, and put the handbrake on.

This was it.

Evan breathed out carefully, and glanced at her, she was looking at her hands, fiddling with her thumbs, and she always did when she was nervous or shy.

“Thank you.” Evan croaked, from exhaustion and not speaking much on the journey. Annabelle nodded silently, refusing to look at him.

“I’ll call you?” he asked, uncertain and Annabelle took a quick breath before finally speaking.

“We should take some time out…” she blurted out. Evan appeared to be surprised, he knew they’d fucked up – him mostly – but still, he didn’t think it would end like this. In fact, he didn’t know how it would end.

“What?” he repeated, needing to make sure.

Annabelle sighed, running a hand tiredly through her curls and looked to him:

“Don’t call me Evan I need to figure my shit out.” Annabelle said sincerely. Evan looked hurt, but nodded understanding.

“Okay, well…will you call me?” he asked hopefully, his heart on the verge of breaking.

Was this what it felt like? The utter despair she had felt all those years?

Annabelle closed her eyes softly, and kept calm: “I’ll come find you when I’m ready.” She told him, and took one last look at him.

His brown ruffled hair, he’d been sleeping, his beautiful eyes that haunted her, that strong jaw of his which had light stubble on. She needed to savour it.

They smiled sadly at one another, both so confused and scared. Evan opened the door, and went to the back and picked up his stuff. He leaned back into the door, and looked at her, as if waiting for her to say something.

She lifted her hand slightly off the steering wheel, which she was clutching tightly, desperate to leave.

“Hey Annie?” he murmured, and Annabelle didn’t look at him, knowing if she did, she would start sobbing right here, right now.

“Yeah?” she rasped out quietly.

“I love you, you know that don’t you?” Evan said firmly, as if his life depended on that sentence. That one sentence to try and make it all okay.

Annabelle nodded silently, and sucked in one last breath: “I know Evan. I love you too.” She whispered faintly.

Evan sighed, and closed the door, and headed to the apartment. Annabelle drove off before he got to the door, and that killed him.
♠ ♠ ♠
so....who's surprised?
Talk to me!