Sequel: Best Expectation
Status: I wanted to upload something.

Best Woman

seventeen.

It was three weeks and they hadn’t spoken, it included Evan on the verge on stalking her, constantly texting, calling and trying to see her. Eddie was told not to let him an in respect of his daughter’s wishes, kindly asked Evan to leave.

“You’re still his best woman aren’t you?” Eddie asked one afternoon, unknowing to what had occurred on their little trip.

Annabelle was lounging on the sofa, mindlessly watching TV, she tensed at her father’s words and looked to him, smiling sadly.

“I think so, I just need some space Dad...I’m going through some stuff.” Annabelle sighed, and got up, switching the boxset off and wandering into the kitchen.

Eddie followed and leaned on the doorway: “Why not go see Leo? He’d know what to do…I’m never good at this type of stuff sweetie, your Mom was always the one to deal with emotions…” Eddie sounded sad as he said it, sounding guilty almost of not being able to help.

Annabelle stopped looking in the fridge, and half-turned to him, a wave of sadness over her at the mention of her mother.

“You’ve done okay Dad…” she insisted softly, and Eddie shook his head lightly, knowing that Annabelle suffered without a mother.

“Go see Leo, get out of the house…” he egged on, and left without another word.

Annabelle grumbled to herself, but picked up the car keys and put on her shoes and as she pulled out, she called her brother on the hands-free.

“Hello?” he answered, as she was driving down her street.

“Hey, you home?” she replied hopefully. She heard shuffling and listened carefully.

“Um…yeah…yeah…Lianne’s here…” he murmured, sounding awkward. Annabelle smiled slightly.

“I won’t be long… I just…well…” she stopped suddenly, a lump in her throat. Leo recognise the silence.

“What’s happened?” he asked immediately, worried.

Annabelle gulped and spoke: “Me and Evan…we…” her voice cracked, and she couldn’t speak anymore, it hurt.

“I’ll put the kettle on for you.” Leo said softly, and Annabelle nodded, although he couldn’t see.

“See you in a bit…” she whispered, and hung up.
When she got to her brother’s house, she was engulfed in his arms and she began to bawl, just like she had that same night she dropped Evan home. Leo squeezed her tightly, and cooed sweet words.

“Come inside, kid…” he said, and Annabelle’s heart warmed at the nickname.
Annabelle tried to control herself as she was introduced to Faye, she was beautiful – just as
Annabelle expected. She had brunette short hair, cropped stylishly and a big bright smile, with lovely big brown eyes. She was only 5ft 1, looking tiny against her 6ft brother.

“It’s nice to meet you, I’m sorry for crying…” Annabelle babbled, but Faye stopped her gently, and hugged her suddenly.

“It’s okay honey…you look like you need a hug.” Faye smelled lovely, of sweets and perfume. Annabelle breathed her scent in and sighed, feeling safe and warm.

Leo smiled at the sight slightly – he’d known they would get on great.

“Want to talk about it?” Faye offered, and before Annabelle knew, it was spilling out the whole story to her, and added extra information for her brother.

By the end, they had all consumed a lot of tea and eaten two tubs of ice cream. As they relaxed in the living room, Leo sighed: “So this is what girl’s do…” he teased, Annabelle rolled her eyes and Faye smirked.

“Yeah, and we have sleepovers in our underwear…” she mocked, and Leo stuck out his tongue childishly. Annabelle giggled at her brother and looked between them, so clearly in love.

Faye looked back to Annabelle, as they sat cross-legged on the floor: “So how long have you loved this guy?” she asked, and Annabelle fiddled with her thumbs.

“Since I was 16, we’ve been best friends since we were five though…” she explained, Faye nodded and smiled gently.

“So has he called you?” Leo asked suddenly, and Annabelle nodded.

“For the first week, he rang fifty times…” Annabelle trailed off, Faye gasped: “Jeez Louise….” She mumbled. Annabelle nodded, biting her lip nervously.

“How can you be so sure he doesn’t love you back?” Leo asked, and Annabelle looked at him in an obvious way.

“He’s getting married in three weeks Leo…” she said as if it was obvious.

“So?” Leo shrugged, and sat up on the sofa: “You said he’s having doubts and what you did that night was clearly led by him…” Leo cringed almost as he remembered what Annabelle had said, the thought of his sister having sex angered him and embarrassed him at the same time.

Annabelle shrugged: “Both of us.” She corrected, Leo huffed and looked pointedly at her: “Annie, the kid loves you…you need to get it all out the table…before you get a big What if for the rest of your life.” Leo ranted.

Annabelle lay back down on the floor and sighed: “It’s not so easy Leo…” she grumbled. Faye looked between the sibling and smiled sympathetically at Annabelle.

“Your brother is right honey…you need to sort things before he gets married…” she added.
Annabelle propped herself up and looked at the couple “I can’t face him…” she said feebly.

Leo frowned: “Why not? He’s still your best friend…”

Annabelle bit her lips, feeling sadness once more: “The thing is, after all that’s happened…I don’t know if I can stand being just friends anymore…we went past the boundary…” she started.
She sat up fully, and breathed softly: “And I don’t want to go back anymore.” She finished, and the older couple, shared sad glances and squeezed each other’s hands, feeling pity for the young girl.
♠ ♠ ♠
I just want to say a huge thanks for those who commented on the last chapter, it's so nice of you guys to make the effort and stuff :) So really, if any of you need the favour returned, just let me know?

You're all awesome, toodle pip!