Sequel: Best Expectation
Status: I wanted to upload something.

Best Woman

twenty-one.

It was the following week, and Evan still hadn’t gone to work – fifth time this month. He was already on a verbal warning but quite frankly he didn’t give a shit.

Lounging in his sweatpants and old band t-shirt, Evan flicked through the TV channels, unable to decide on a show. His cell phone rang and he lazily picked it up.

“Yeah?” he answered.

George chuckled and replied: “Man, we need to get you out…come with me tonight, this band is playing that I think you’ll like.”

“Nah George…I’m going to stay in tonight.” Evan mumbled, not even paying attention. George scoffed: “What like all the other nights you stayed in this month? Just get showered and hurry your ass up, I’ll be there in an hour.”

Without any time to spare, George hung up and Evan cursed before getting up and heading to the bathroom to change.
--
Annabelle was taping up the last shipment when her phone rang: “Hello?” she replied quietly.

“Hey Annie, it’s me.” Faye’s voice came through; an immediate smile came to her face.

“Hi Faye, you okay?” she asked friendly, and picked up the box, phone between her ear and shoulder, and moved over to where the pile of shipping was.

“Yeah I’m good, so Leo’s friends are at a gig tonight, want to come?” she asked hopefully.

Annabelle sucked her teeth slightly and sighed: “I don’t know Faye, I’m pretty tired –” she began but Faye was quick to stop.

“So you’re coming then? I’m the only girl otherwise!” she whined and Annabelle rolled her eyes but muttered a: “Fine”.

“Yes!” Faye squealed and rambled off the address of the bar.

“See you in an hour!” she called, and they hung up. Annabelle went and showered, changing into a little red dress with thick black tights. Leaving in good time she headed off to the bar.

The bar was fairly nice, not too shabby, the band were setting up when Annabelle arrived and Faye rushed to hug her.

“You look beautiful honey!” she chimed, and the wandering eyes of men in the room agreed. Annabelle blushed and fed her a compliment too.

“Leo got us a booth…” Faye said, and dragged Annabelle over to where Leo and some of his friends were sitting.

“Hi sis…” Leo greeted, and Annabelle kissed him on the cheek and smiled, sliding into her seat. She said hello to the others, two other guys.

They seemed nice and it was easy for conversation to flow: “Man, where’s George?” the blonde guy complained. Annabelle’s ears perked, she knew a George – one of Evan’s friends.

It was like compulsive to know: “George who?” she asked curiously, and the blonde smiled flirtatiously at her.

“George Roberts, nice dude – you know him?” he asked and Annabelle froze. George was at the wedding – Evan’s wedding – one of his grooms men. Annabelle shrugged awkwardly, and looked away, suddenly wanted to leave.

Ten minutes later, and George arrived, with someone in tow. Leo froze, then Faye and when Annabelle looked up – she did too.
Evan was here.

“Holy shit….” Leo murmured, and glanced to his sister: “You okay?” he whispered, but Annabelle didn’t reply, as Evan was looking right at her, in utter shock.

“Annie?” he asked faintly, and everyone looked between them.

“You know each other then?” the blonde guy asked, sounding disappointed. Evan nodded and Annabelle shrugged.

“Yes…” he said

“Not really” she said at the same time. Hurt flashed in one another’s eyes, it went awkward around the table.

“Who’s wants drinks?” George offered, and almost everyone, except Leo, Annabelle and Faye got up, leaving Evan to stand awkwardly with him. Faye shooed him to sit down, and Annabelle felt her
whole body heat up.

He was so close, facing directly to her: “You look good, Annie…” Evan said softly, and Leo gritted his teeth.

“You fucking asshole!” he blurted out and Faye gasped, and hit her boyfriend’s arm lightly: “Leo, stop it!” she hissed, but Leo didn’t stop.

“You broke my sister’s heart, you fucking idiot!” he hissed, and got up, wanting to punch him. Annabelle yanked her brother’s arm down and glared: “Stop it!” she snapped.

Evan shook his head and smiled sadly at her: “No Annie, I deserve it…” he said sadly. Faye stood up, nearest to the outside, and pulled Leo up, and out of the booth.

“Come with me…” she snapped, and dragged him away, Leo managing to shout one or two profanities at Evan, before they disappeared in the crowd amongst the bar.

Annabelle tensed up, as his gaze fell on to her.

“You didn’t answer my calls.” He stated, and Annabelle looked at him briefly, and looked away, unable to meet his eye anymore.

“Annie…” he said, reaching his hand across the table, and Annabelle pulled her hands away and tucked them in her lap, but he didn’t retreat his hand. The desperate look on his face made her want to cave in.

Annabelle glanced at her lap, then at the table, then at his hand, his lovely left hand that she dreamed of holding, now suddenly – Annabelle froze and her eyes widened.

“You’re not married?” she blurted out, noticing the absence of a ring. She looked to Evan’s face as he half-smiled and nodded.

“I’m not married, me and Ellie broke up.” He informed her, and Annabelle’s mouth dropped.

“You…you…you left her?” she stammered, and awkwardly, Evan nodded.

“I couldn’t do it.” he said quietly, reaching his other hand out; and grasped her shaking hands now back on the table. This time, Annabelle didn’t push him away.

“Why not?” Annabelle whispered back, as if any of them spoke louder would ruin this dream almost.

Evan looked at her knowingly and half-smiled again: “You know why Annie…” he reasoned, but Annabelle looked dumfounded at him, completely uncertain to what he meant.

“I love you Annie…” Evan murmured, and squeezed her hand.

Annabelle didn’t reply, or move.

“Actually –” Evan said, and cleared his throat: “I’m in love with you, to be exact.” He finished, smiling softly at her. Annabelle’s heart exploded at the sentence, and she squeezed his hands once.

“But….how…why…I don’t understand?” she babbled, and Evan moved from his seat, sliding over to
sit beside her, and took one of her hands again, placing it between both of his and kissing her fingers softly.
Tingles spread all over her skin: “I know I’ve messed up Annie and I’ve been the worst best friend in
the world…and I’m truly sorry for everything, for not realising sooner of what I really wanted.” Evan was sincere with his words.

Annabelle couldn’t comprehend what was happening, she had dreamt of this, fantasied almost every day and now it was happening, truly happening.

She rushed back to reality, suddenly angry at him: “You were a dick.” She snapped, and Evan just chuckled and nodded.

“A huge one.” He agreed, and Annabelle frowned at him, retreating her hands: “I can’t just come running back to you Evan, too much has happened…” she told him. Without a beat, Evan nodded, and rubbed his neck, with his now free hands.

“Okay…how about this…” he tried, and held out one hand.

“Let’s rewind, Hi…I’m Evan Woodson.” He introduced himself, looking at him perplexed, Annabelle shyly shook his hand.

“Hi, I’m Annabelle Jacobs.” She introduced herself he smiled widely at her, making her heart doing unspeakable things.

“Wow, what a beautiful name…just for a beautiful girl like yourself.” He flirted, and Annabelle blushed brightly, the compliment rolling off his tongue.

“Bet you say that to all the girls…” she mumbled, playing along. Evan shook his head, and smiled confidently.

“Nope, just one – you.” He was quick to step in.

“I’ll let you in on a secret though…” Evan whispered leaning closer, and Annabelle couldn’t but lean into him.

“What?” she whispered.

“I’m in love with you Annabelle Jacobs and I would really love to prove to you that I can be the guy
for you.” He whispered, and touched her face softly.

Annabelle felt air being sucked out her chest, and she smiled faintly: “But you’ve broken it before…” she reasoned quietly, looking down. He popped her chin up gently, and met her gaze.

“I’m truly sorry for hurting you, and I promise you…I will never hurt you again.” He whispered, and Annabelle wanted to kiss him so badly.

“How will I know?” she whispered, looking to his eyes, then lips.

Evan smiled softly, and pecked her lips gently: “Please trust me…” he pleaded quietly, and Annabelle smiled lovingly at him and nodded, knowing full well she could never say no to Evan Woodson.

And like all promises, Evan sealed his with a kiss.
♠ ♠ ♠
I was worried about this, wanting to make it realistic yet cheesy at the same time - How'd I do?

Thanks for the comments guys!<3