Rotten Bones

We'll start over again

Image


It was about five o’clock on a Sunday afternoon I was sprawled out on the couch with children’s test papers all out in front of me, they covered the coffee table and I had a stack sitting on the floor. Everything was a mess but it was an organized mess. I had spent the better part of my day grocery shopping and then cleaning my apartment, now to only mess up the living room with all my work stuff. I was half way through everything when I heard a knock at the door.

It took me a moment to move everything off my lap not mess up my organized mess as I made my way to the door. I knew that since Verona and Jacky were dating they would be spending a lot of time together but I did not expect to see both of them plus all of Falling In Reverse show up at my doorstep.

“Ve?” I questioned a little hesitant, I was after all in the middle of something.

“Sorry love, we were headed to my place but it seems I have locked myself out, so we came to get my spare key.” She justified. Verona only lived about five minutes down the road from my apartment and we both had spare keys to the others place.

“Ok come in I’ll find it.” I told them.

“Nice place.” Derek chimed in I called out a thanks as I went to look for where I put her key.

“Wow, what were you doing?” Mika asked before he proceeded to start reading out questions on one of the test papers.

“Don’t touch anything.” I yelled out at the same time Ve asked them all if they wanted a drink. Instead of looking for the key I rushed back out into the living room to collect all my stuff. I had a feeling that the boys would easily make a mess of it all and I wouldn’t know what paper was supposed to go on what pile.

As the boys yelled out their request for drinks and I silently cursed Ve, I neatly pilled up all my papers aiming to carry them back into my bedroom. And out of the way of the boys making themselves comfortable.

“Do you want a hand?” Ronnie asked and I nodded in thanks. He grabbed a pile that was on the floor and carried them back to my room with me.

“So this is your room?” Ronnie asked as I showed him where to put stuff down.

“It is.” I nodded

“It’s not what I imagined.” I laughed

“What did you imagine Mr. Radke?”

“Something neater.” I had to laugh again.

“Sorry to disappoint you.”

“You don’t disappoint me.” He shook his head. “Sorry we just barged in unannounced though.” He apologized

“It’s okay, I feel rude for telling them not to touch all the papers, its just it was all organized.” I did feel a little bad, I should have probably been trying to make more of an effort, but I just wasn’t comfortable with people I didn’t know.

“That’s organized?” Ronnie laughed not believing me.

“Yes, that pile is 4s’ class that’s been marked, that pile is 4j’s class that has been marked and that pile is yet to be marked.”

“That’s a big pile.”

“I'm aware.” I said with a puff falling back onto my bed, my legs hanging over the edge.

I felt the bed shift and knew that Ronnie had laid down next to me, last week at the movies we had both fallen asleep and awoken resting on each other. The drive back to Ronnie’s apartment was silent but it wasn’t awkward, just like right now wasn’t awkward.

“You know what, I really don’t know much about you, but you seem to know a lot about me.”

“Sorry, what do you want to know?” I ask, cause he was right I do know a fair amount about him.

“I don’t know,” he laughed and I had to laugh at him

“Good going,” I laughed, “How many tattoos do you have?” I asked looking over his arms that were covered in brightly coloured ink.

“I have no idea, I lost count ages ago.” He laughed, “What about you, got any tattoos Miss Dupree, is that what the kids call you?” he chuckled “Its kinda hot.” He continued.

I shook my head at his rambling but mumbled a “yes, they do and yea I have one.” I told him, and I suddenly felt shy.

“Seriously.” He asked non-believing. With my back still lying flat of the bed I lifted the hem of my top, all the way up to meet the bottom of my bra where the tattoo laid out on my skin just under the wire of the bra.

“Noah” Ronnie's voice was quiet and he ran a calloused finger gently over the lettering.

“Noah was my brother.” I mumble

“Was?” He didn’t miss a beat.

“He died a few years back.”

“Tell me to shut up any time you want but…how?”

“He was two years older then me he was about nineteen, I knew he was on drugs you know he partied and I knew, he told me everything. But I didn’t say anything and I should have, cause he over dosed the week before he turned twenty.” I mumbled.

I felt Ronnie run his fingers over the tattoo one more time and I instantly pulled my top back down.

“That explains a lot about you Lucy.”

“It just…his death changed everything for my family.”

“Are you not close?”

“No, they think I could have stopped it from happening, you know because I knew.” He nods

“You know that’s not true though right?” he asks

“Lucy I found the key, in the kitchen draw were going to head out, Ronnie.” I hear Verona call from in the hallway. She pops her head around the door and peers in on Ronnie and I still laying on my bed. “You coming Ron?”

“Yea,” he sits up and nods “Give me a minute.” She nods and retreats to gather the boys.

“You know you couldn’t have stopped him right Lucy.”

“I don’t know some days I think I could have.” He shakes his head.

“Before I went to jail I was severely messed up like I could not function properly if I didn’t have something in my system, I'm not proud of that but it’s true. Anyway part of my probation was that I had to be clean and sober or I was going straight to jail. You would think that that’s a pretty big motive to get clean, I mean it’s jail Luce, but I couldn’t not even that could force me to work my shit out. I was in such a bad place, I had seen too much and I ended up in jail. Darling you can’t blame yourself.” And with that he left a kiss on my cheek and walked out following the boys.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey so please please let me know what you think of this, i know its a relatively quick chapter but it explain a lot about Lucy.
Lucy’s Outfit